Another 1st Timer Question

AZNative2000

I have searched and been unable to find an answer.

Is there a difference between a regular balcony cabin and a Britannia Club cabin (size or location) or is it just where you eat? We are even considering a sheltered balcony as we have seen that so many people love them.

While we consider a QM2 crossing for next year, we just want to know if Britannia Club is worth the added cost and we aren't sure that just a different restaurant is reason enough for the upgrade. Thanks for any answers.

Cheers!

Edited by AZNative2000

I have searched and been unable to find an answer. Is there a difference between a regular balcony cabin and a Britannia Club cabin (size or location) or is it just where you eat? We are even considering a sheltered balcony as we have seen that so many people love them. While we consider a QM2 crossing for next year, we just want to know if Britannia Club is worth the added cost and we aren't sure that just a different restaurant is reason enough for the upgrade. Thanks for any answers. Cheers!
Hi AZNative2000,

On QM2 Britannia Club cabins and standard Britannia cabins are the same size. They even look identical inside (the Britannia Club cabins started life as standard Britannia cabins in 2004, just being regraded later).

Note: The newly added Deck 13 Britannia Club cabins do look different (but, I believe, are still the same size).

Britannia Club cabins are on the highest decks of QM2. Great for views, not so good if you suffer from motion of the ocean.

Britannia Club cabins come with a few small perks above standard Britannia Cabins (pillow selection, fruit bowl, bigger bottle of "welcome on board" drain cleaner in an ice bucket awaits you. That sort of thing).

Instead of fixed dining times (6.00 or 8.30) you can choose to dine whenever the Club Restaurant is open, just turn up.

You always dine at the same table breakfast, lunch, dinner (if you don't dine elsewhere);

Good point, the stewards get to know you.

Can be a bad point; you may always dine with the same people (good and bad), maybe three meals a day (In standard Britannia you'll be shown to a different table every day for breakfast and lunch, meeting new people (good and bad)).

The menu choice is slightly larger than standard Britannia (but not as great as Princess or Queens Grill).

As a passenger in Britannia Club you'll be invited to the "Welcome Aboard" cocktail party alongside passengers from the "Grills". Passengers in standard grade Britannia cabins attend a separate party (usually held the following evening), one for guests on early seating, one for guests on late.

Hope this helps you :) , whatever you decide, Bon Voyage!

Edited by pepperrn

Thanks for the great help, PEPPERRN. I think we will be looking at a balcony much lower as we have not done a crossing in the north Atlantic in the winter before. And, that way, we get to save some money too.

We do want to try all the other dining options as well.

Cheers!

Our favorite for crossings are the sheltered balconies. First...they are closer to the water. Even in bad weather...you can use the balcony....even though sometimes you wonder why you ventured out. :). With the sheltered balcony...you feel that the balcony is an extension of your cabin and it does seem to extend your personal space.

We always try for midship for stability.....but in fairness, we've been quite forward a few times and never noticed the difference.

Our favorite for crossings are the sheltered balconies. First...they are closer to the water. Even in bad weather...you can use the balcony....even though sometimes you wonder why you ventured out. :). With the sheltered balcony...you feel that the balcony is an extension of your cabin and it does seem to extend your personal space.

We always try for midship for stability.....but in fairness, we've been quite forward a few times and never noticed the difference.

I see these are available on decks 4-5-6. And, from the photos online, they do look quite nice. Do you have a favorite deck? TIA.

Cheers!

Deck 5 staterooms will have staterooms both above and below them. Deck 6 has the Deck 7 promenade above it. Deck 4 has public spaces below it. The promenade and the.public spaces may be noisier.

Edited by Underwatr

I see these are available on decks 4-5-6. And, from the photos online, they do look quite nice. Do you have a favorite deck? TIA. Cheers!
Deck 5 is often favoured as there are cabins both above and below.

On Deck 4 there are the Deck 3 public rooms below (may be a source of noise).

Deck 6 has both the Deck 7 promenade above (despite signs asking joggers not to use before a certain hour, many ignore this request), and sometimes noise from the galleys in the Kings Court (also on Deck 7).

Deck 5...

down two decks to the theatres, bars, restaurant, Queens Room, G32,

up two decks to the gym, spa, Carinthia Lounge, Kings Court.

So, for these reasons, Deck 5 is popular. My first cabin on QM2 (WB TA 2006) was on Deck 5 (sheltered balcony cabin 5032 if I remember correctly).

Hope this helps :)

Edited by pepperrn

Deck 5 staterooms will have staterooms both above and below them. Deck 6 has the Deck 7 promenade above it. Deck 4 has public spaces below it. The promenade and the.public spaces may be noisier.

Deck 5 is often favoured as there are cabins both above and below.

On Deck 4 there are the Deck 3 public rooms below (may be a source of noise).

Deck 6 has both the Deck 7 promenade above (despite signs asking joggers not to use before a certain hour, many ignore this request), and sometimes noise from the galleys in the Kings Court (also on Deck 7).

Deck 5...

down two decks to the theatres, bars, restaurant, Queens Room, G32,

up two decks to the gym, spa, Carinthia Lounge, Kings Court.

So, for these reasons, Deck 5 is popular. My first cabin on QM2 (WB TA 2006) was on Deck 5 (sheltered balcony cabin 5032 if I remember correctly).

Hope this helps :)

More invaluable insight from you who have gone before.

Thank you so much. Deck five it shall be (if available):):)

Cheers!

We mostly book late so many times we simply have to take what's available. The first time we were allotted deck 6, I was concerned for the reasons stated above.....but I can honestly say that we have never had issues.

We do stay up late so we may have simply missed issues....but my concern was also KC and the promenade deck in the AM, and again, no issues from either.

My favorite has always been deck 4 simply because I like that particular mural, off the elevators, the best. I use the murals as my guide to the cabin because if you pay attention, you will never get turned around as to which hallway to use. :)

... My favorite has always been deck 4 simply because I like that particular mural, off the elevators, the best. I use the murals as my guide to the cabin because if you pay attention, you will never get turned around as to which hallway to use. :)
Hi brigittetom,

Can you imagine how confused and lost passengers would get on a ship the size of QM2 if Cunard hadn't provided very distinctive paintings and murals on the stairwells and in lobbies and hallways? They are essential I'd say!

(I still manage (once every voyage) to turn the wrong way when leaving the lift/elevator at "my" deck however... it can be a walk of several hundred feet before I turn back... )

Very best wishes to you :)

Edited by pepperrn

Hi brigittetom,

(I still manage (once every voyage) to turn the wrong way when leaving the lift/elevator at "my" deck however... it can be a walk of several hundred feet before I turn back... )

Very best wishes to you :)

Yes. What really throws me is that every great once in a while I arrive on a different elevator bank. It totally takes me out of my comfort zone and drops my IQ level to 20. :D

The "old" previous carpeting featured different colors at different staircases. That helped us figure our position. I hope with recent changes that will still be true.

Have a wonderful voyage, AZNative2000 !!!! You really can't go wrong on the QM2, whatever accommodations you choose.

Jimmybean, always happy on the inside...