Songs you love...songs you hate.

Danno

My car CD?? That should say something about our tastes...Diana Krall, Super Tramp, Micheal Bule, The Eagles, Billy Joel (best of), The Nylons...sorry no C&W...but I'm a closet Stompin Tom fan (it's a Canadian thing)

OK, I don't know the name of this song, but it is sang ad nauseum by steel drum bands on ships everywhere. It is usually on "Island Night" and large crowds of (drunken) people attempt to dance to it. It has lines that go "Down South, Down South, Down South........Up North, Up North, Up North......and so on. There is some dance that goes with it that the activities staff always knows....the crowd just bumbles along. MAKE IT STOP :D !

On the other hand, my favorite (don't flame me) song is "Escape" otherwise better known as the "Pina Coloda" song (If you like Pina Colodas and getting caught in the rain, etc). I can't help it, I love that song :o . My second favorite song is "Love Shack" by the B-52s. Flame away :p !

PS-For those of you who have sailed Princess....when they play the "Love Boat" theme at the sail away party it is both amusing and revolting.

OK, I don't know the name of this song, but it is sang ad nauseum by steel drum bands on ships everywhere. It is usually on "Island Night" and large crowds of (drunken) people attempt to dance to it. It has lines that go "Down South, Down South, Down South........Up North, Up North, Up North......and so on. There is some dance that goes with it that the activities staff always knows....the crowd just bumbles along. MAKE IT STOP :D !

On the other hand, my favorite (don't flame me) song is "Escape" otherwise better known as the "Pina Coloda" song (if you like Pina Colodas and getting caught in the rain, etc). I can't help it, I love that song :o . My second favorite song is "Love Shack" by the B-52s. Flame away :p !

PS-For those of you who have sailed Princess....when they play the "Love Boat" theme at the sail away party it is both amusing and revolting.

Really!! Does Julie McCoy lead?? What about Gopher and Cap't Stupid...that's really too funny :D .

Danno, they really do play the Love Boat theme on Princess ships as you sail away......we heard it both on Grand and Golden Princess. Scary huh?

I have a classic home movie of our first Grand Princess cruise......I am filming my husband having a "beverage" on the open deck during sail away from Ft Lauderdale. All of a sudden you hear the Love Boat theme blaring from the ship speakers. You can hear me say into the camara....."Oh my God, they are playing the Love Boat":eek: .....and then there is this cackling laughter and bouncing up and down of the camara as I practically fall down in a fit of giggles :D . It might have had something to do with my "beverages", but to this day I cannot hear that song without remembering that first Princess Cruise.

My point....I think it might be time for the cruise directors to start considering, freshening up their music choices...not that any of it is bad (except Spanish Eyes) but so much of it has been played to death...the poor bartenders :( .

Songs I hate? Too many to list .... I did too much 'behind the mic' in radio way back in the day, and my list became long.

I will say one I would like to hear more often on cruises, and so far I've only heard it ONCE (played by Onyx, on a century cruise), is 'Conquest of Paradise' which came from the movie 'Christopher Columbus'. It's a great sail away song. I think maybe Onyx is the only Celebrity 'house' band that could pull it off, because so far, they are the only one that I've seen that has 'real' horns.

Also it seems for whatever stupid reason, they ALWAYS play the Titanic theme in the main dining room on formal nights! DUH!, kind of a creepy thing to me.

I will say one I would like to hear more often on cruises, and so far I've only heard it ONCE (played by Onyx, on a century cruise), is 'Conquest of Paradise' which came from the movie 'Christopher Columbus'. It's a great sail away song. I think maybe Onyx is the only Celebrity 'house' band that could pull it off, because so far, they are the only one that I've seen that has 'real' horns.

Never heard Onyx play it, though no doubt they did it justice, I think they're very talented. During our cruise on Century back in 1997, Celebrity played the cut from the soundtrack during sailaway from every port we visited, & it fit the mood perfectly. Had never heard it before & had to ask the DJ to identify it. Still reminded of that cruise every time I hear it. Beautiful tune!

Never heard Onyx play it, though no doubt they did it justice, I think they're very talented.

The only time I ever heard it was that one time that I heard Onyx do it.

Yes, onyx is talented. Bought their cd, and when I miss cruising, I put it on (although they DO hot hot hot! :) )...

The only time I ever heard it was that one time that I heard Onyx do it.

Yes, onyx is talented. Bought their cd, and when I miss cruising, I put it on (although they DO hot hot hot! :) )...

Did you purchase that directly on the ship? I am always looking for great bands...I had to do quite a search to find something from the lead singer of Heat Wave on RCCL

I'm surprised no one has listed Barry Manilow on the "please, don't let anyone perform this on a cruise" list. Spare me from "Feelings" and all of the other dreadful pablum that this so-called entertainer has ground out over the years. I'm even prepared to put up with "Spanish Eyes" and "Yellow Bird" rather than hear Manilow!

George+

I would like to hear some Rat Pack music, especially in the Martini Lounge, on formal nights.

Must be my age, but nothing makes me want a martini more than Frank Sinatra and "The Best is Yet to Come," or "Under My Skin."

Susan

I would [COLOR=red]love[/COLOR] to hear Queen and Meatloaf on a cruise, but never have.

We don't cruise often but would love to so...
I love hearing "island" music on the way to the Caribbean. Jimmy Buffet is great. I guess if you cruise often you would get tired of it.

Just think of us that can't cruise so often - we might not mind hearing "hot, hot, hot" or "Cheeseburger in paradise" or "Margariteville"

I'm with you about hearing queen.Our last cruise on the summit our group went to go dancing and the first song they played was "feelings".Well that put a damper into things.So hopefully we wont hear that again in feb.on our mercury cruise.

Archived