Other Than A Tip What Else?

cool joe

We tip extra for good service but does anybody do something extra like giving bags of M&M candies snickers etc as a little treat as the cruise goes on to cabin steward or room service?? Could use your ideas:cool:

I think the service folks do what they do for MONEY, not for baubles and beads, sweets and trinkets. If someone thinks a $.69 bag of M&M's is a good idea, just add the 69 cents to the tip.

Imagine your boss saying, "No bonus checks this year, here's a 9 pound TURKEY instead!"

Dan

Imagine your boss saying, "No bonus checks this year, here's a 9 pound TURKEY instead!"

Dan

I think the OP was meaning it as, "On top of your bonus check (tip) here's a 9 pound turkey (bag of M&M's)! Not instead of!!

My cruise leaves on Easter and I plan on bringing a little Easter bag filled with treats. I don't think a kind gesture would be turned down. Even if your steward didn't want the candy he/she could pass it on to someone else. Hope that helps! :)

Maybe bring some blank note cards and write them a note telling them what a good job they've done and how they made your trip even better, and enclose the tip in the envelope. $$ and a nice pat on the back. I'm sure they'd really like that.

We're cruising over Halloween. In addition to any standard tip, plus extra tip, that we give the steward, we have also packed a halloween gift bag that we're going to fill with a variety of halloween treats for the steward to either share with his/her friends, or enjoy for him/herself.

My husband gets some absurd gift from his office each year as well - he has never worked ANYWHERE where the employees are given a cash bonus. He got a pair of binoculars one year, and one year he got some sort of sausage thing - very scary.

There have been a number of posts on this subject - mostly with conflicting recommendations (money vs. other things). However, money seems to talk the loudest and is the one thing that elicits most of the positive crew responses, so that's what I'm assuming the ship staff prefer as an "extra treat".

I worked for a company for 10 years and that is ALL we ever got at xmas was a turkey, never money just a turkey...

Did we work for the same company?!? I remember my company making such a big production when they brought in the pallet full of frozen birds!! :confused:

Did we work for the same company?!? I remember my company making such a big production when they brought in the pallet full of frozen birds!! :confused:

I just heard yesterday that we are getting turkey's this year. I was sworn to secrecy to not tell any other employees. I've kept my word because I just know how very excited they will all be. :rolleyes:

Oh well, it's a nice gesture, many folks get nothing from their companies.

Why can't they just give us a cruise instead??? :confused:

On top of the extra cash we left, each night I left a mini size bag of M&M's for our steward...he stopped my husband in the hallway on about the third day and was so tickled that we did that! He loved sweets and enjoyed the extra treat.

He was awesome...really great guy.

Stef

Dan

Could have just as easily been " Imagine your boss saying, "No bonus checks this year. " :rolleyes:

I am planning on giving the tip and some M&Ms next week.

On my QE2 cruises, as well as leaving a generous tip at the end of the cruise, coming from malt whisky country l tend to leave a miniture of whisky as well as some other fun gifts relating to scotland not to mention the usual phone cards, books of stamps and a thankyou card at the end of the cruise for all that they have done.

They seem to appreciate the gifts as quite often they will also leave gifts for being a "good " passenger, these have included extra bottles of champagne, button hole flowers,extra freebies that the company give out to passengers.

You could always give them a coupon for a free year of the "jelly of the month" club. That would be a gift that keeps on giving long after the cruise is over.:D

Clark didn't care much for it when he got it, but cousin Eddie thout it was a great idea.:D

DH's company always gave out hams for the holidays. He'd smile, take the ham, and then drop it off at the local food bank on his way home. The good feeling he got from doing that was so much better than feeling bad about not getting a monetary bonus.

DH's company always gave out hams for the holidays. He'd smile, take the ham, and then drop it off at the local food bank on his way home. The good feeling he got from doing that was so much better than feeling bad about not getting a monetary bonus.

That's always nice to pay it forward like that - make the best out of a situation that isn't what you may have hoped for! And help someone in turn.

In another thread somewhere I had read that phone cards would be a nice "tip" extra...I have found some cards at various stores but they say that they are for the United States.. anyone know the best place to get cards that would be good internationally??

I just heard yesterday that we are getting turkey's this year. I was sworn to secrecy to not tell any other employees. I've kept my word because I just know how very excited they will all be. :rolleyes:

Oh well, it's a nice gesture, many folks get nothing from their companies.

Why can't they just give us a cruise instead??? :confused:

Yeah, better keep the secret...you know how people can be to the "messenger"!!! :p

It's true - a lot people don't get anything from their companies. Been there!! Am there...DH doesn't get any kind of monetary "thank you" either - but the company puts on a pretty nice party with great food and an open bar with paid taxis home!

But, I am with you - cruises should really be the bonus!!! :D

Archived