Ideal Age to Cruise Alaska?

jormot

I always thought we would hold off on Alaska until we were retired. Then we ended up going in my late 30's the first time. Both of us were stunned by how much we loved it. We've been back 3 times, and looking to return next month.

If you have the extra time, I would take 2 weeks and spend a week interior and then a week on the ship. Both are completely different, yet equally wonderful.

There is a ton of activity in ports. It's nothing like the Caribbean in that way. Every port has hikes, most have kayak and other active alternatives. I would have been depressed if I waited until my late 60's when I perhaps couldn't be as active.

If you don't have 2 weeks to spend, then rather a Round Trip out of Seattle, I would then recommend at least a one way from Vancouver to Anchorage or vice versa. It gives you the added ability to have at least a day pre/post cruise in either city which are great for the outdoors.

Alaska has tons of stuff for every age. Go now while you're young and active and can hike, kayak, bike etc. We were early 40s our first trip and frequently hike in the Sierras, and were still exhausted every night. You can always go back when you're older for less physical sights, but it may be difficult to do some of the most adventurous tours if you wait until you're "old".

We are right now flying home from a week on the Ruby Princess and we cruised with a group in their late 30s/early 40s and 5 kids 10 and under. We had a fabulous time. We left Seattle about 4 pm last Sunday and then were at sea until we hit Ketchikan around 6 am Monday. Monday, Tues and Wed were port days that were very long, Wednesday was Endicott Arm and Juneau, was basically on the go from 5 am - 9 pm. We packed our port days full and after 3 in a row we were ready for a rest. Friday was all day at sea and Saturday was at sea until 7 pm, so basically another dull sea day and believe me we needed the break. I am so exhausted from this trip! However, we had thick fog almost the whole trip so watching the scenery go by and looking for whales was not something we could do. Just something to keep in mind. If you can do the trip now and want to then go for it.

If you feel the need for more Alaska time, why don't you do a one way from Vancouver north and stay a few extra days on land before heading home? Or the reverse and do land days first.

Or else drive up and spend a couple of months there. We did a 2 1/2 month AK driving trip. It was great.

DON