Prescription Meds

I'm bringing prescription meds on board in a pill sorter. I have so many that adding the bottles would mean packing an extra bag. I can do that if I HAVE to, but I was thinking of taking pictures of the pharmacy labels on my phone instead.

Anyone experience this? Are pictures sufficient?

None of the meds are controlled dangerous substances. We are talking heart and lung meds.

My Mom has MS and has a ton of meds she has to take. She uses a pill sorter too and she carries a listing of all the prescriptions, the doctor, etc. A picture of all the labels would be a really good idea. I may have to get her to start doing that also.

A couple of years ago we got flagged by customs when disembarking our Sensation cruise since we had done the same cruise a couple of times that year. They went through all of our luggage and I had a couple of medications in a pill sorter in my bag. The customs agent asked me to identify what each med was and what it was used for. None were heavy duty pain killers or anything of that sort but one was a controlled substance. Once I verbally identified each on he moved on, no further proof needed. Of course everyone's experience may vary but that was mine.

I'm bringing prescription meds on board in a pill sorter. I have so many that adding the bottles would mean packing an extra bag. I can do that if I HAVE to, but I was thinking of taking pictures of the pharmacy labels on my phone instead.

Anyone experience this? Are pictures sufficient?

None of the meds are controlled dangerous substances. We are talking heart and lung meds.

Always take my meds on my carryone in a weekly sorter -- have not had anyone question me about them. I do have a listing of all meds and dosages on my phone just in case of emergency but that's for my benefit and it's just a list.

Carry mine in a pill sorter, but I have 2 additions. I asked the pharmacist to print out a copy of each label and stuck them in with the sorter, I also have a business sized card with a list of meds. This came in handy a couple of years ago---we flew to Rome and boarded the ship for a transatlantic. Later I reached in my carry on for my meds, NO MEDS! I knew exactly where they were, on our home's bathroom vanity! I went to the medical room with memories of friends stories of huge charges for services going through my mind. I figured hundreds would be needed for the medicine. A nurse took my temperature, blood pressure (had to by protocal), smiled at my story and looked at my list of 5 meds. She said she didn't need to call the pharmacy or doctor and they had all five. She gave me a 16 day supply (15 day cruise)---and handed me the bill. When I gathered my strength I peeked----for the "exam" and the meds $37!!

A simple laminated "ICE" card, the size of a credit card which lists medications, dosage, and emergency contacts comes in real handy while on a cruise. Any competent medical professional won't be doling out medicine from the supplies I carry with me, in case of emergency, without verifying the pill they are giving me is actually the medication I need....grabbing a labeled pill bottle is no more safe...they need to verify that the pill is what it is labeled as.

You don't get it. I said NOTHING about the "meds", it's WHAT is printed on the bottles, which you never even considered. There ARE cases where meds are dispensed from pt supplies, it is pretty simple to verify with, what's called a PDR.

I prescribe medications and treatments. With an unknown pt. I WANT to know, what drug was dispensed, the name of who prescribed the med, when it was prescribed and where, which is ALL on bottles. Then it's simple to verify these answers and determine continued or changed needs.

I always put my meds in a sorter EXCEPT my controlled pain med. It comes in the real bottle. I'm sure they have a drug book where they can look up which pill is what if they are curious. I'm sure no body wants to smuggle my heart meds on for their own personal pleasure!

I completely agree with this- especially if you are stopping in a port where you can buy controlled substances over the counter. We went to Belize about ten years ago and there is no way I would have wanted to be carrying valium or Xanax without the prescription bottle back through customs.

Any controlled substance, ie narcotic, should be in its original container. Are you going to get stopped? Unlikely. If you are stopped, however, you can be in legal hot water. Also, if you are on narcotics, take just enough for a few days longer than your trip, as you do not want appear to have significantly more than you need for your time away from home.

True story, a few years ago in Jacksonville as we were disembarking and going through Customs, someone in my line set off a "drug sniffer box" not sure of its real name. Anyway my line got pulled to the side, wanded and dog sniffed. It was an elderly lady in the line that set it off. It was one of her meds and she did not have the bottle. I left then there trying to get it sorted out. So it can Happen.

I take a controlled med for insomnia and I always travel with the bottle just in case.

You don't get it. I said NOTHING about the "meds", it's WHAT is printed on the bottles, which you never even considered. There ARE cases where meds are dispensed from pt supplies, it is pretty simple to verify with, what's called a PDR.

I prescribe medications and treatments. With an unknown pt. I WANT to know, what drug was dispensed, the name of who prescribed the med, when it was prescribed and where, which is ALL on bottles. Then it's simple to verify these answers and determine continued or changed needs.

If I were in an accident here at home and unconscious being taken to a hospital I don't think I'd have my medication bottles with me. Why is a cruise different? An ICE card, at least, allows emergency personnel to know WHAT you are taking. The ICE card should have your primary care physician listed and that is the contact to whom questions should be addressed. They should have access to all your medication history, when contacted, unless peeps are physician shopping with no overlap.

If I were in an accident here at home and unconscious being taken to a hospital I don't think I'd have my medication bottles with me. Why is a cruise different? An ICE card, at least, allows emergency personnel to know WHAT you are taking. The ICE card should have your primary care physician listed and that is the contact to whom questions should be addressed. They should have access to all your medication history, when contacted, unless peeps are physician shopping with no overlap.

Very few pts. go to one MD. You just have no idea what is involved Hippa is another road block. Again, have any clue how many med errors there are? outdated information? Location change of physicians? med changes by second opinions? What does the "at home" accident have to do with taking a cruise?

I go by my training and guidelines of my license. From the other side, my decisions affect people's lives, and I make darn sure of my assessments.

As an ARNP I am also a prescriber. Pill bottles have info like date filled which are crucial.

I took a controlled substance on board once and it went missing. I called medical to see if I could get some and they notified security. 3 people came to my cabin which was thoroughly searched. The security guard took apart the bed, went through all the closets, looked like a crime scene. No meds. A report was written. They sent a team to fix the cabin.Got home and there was the bottle on the counter I called right away and let them know. The security guy and I became good friends.

...and your pharmacy and phone number.