Taormina

Edmontontraveller

I visited Taormina on a ship's tour from Messina a few years ago. It is a very compact town and would be very easy to DIY. Our tour involved a not too long walk down the main streets, ending with a guided tour of the theatre. The guide kept us too long in the hot sun, so I would have preferred a shorter visit here.

We enjoyed the shopping, had a cannoli and coffee in one of the cafes, and just soaked up the great atmosphere around the square. Don't miss the street entertainers rendition of 'Volare', the café customers nearby usually join in. You can find it on youtube. I've pasted a typical ship's excursion below.....

The charming resort town of Taormina is perched high on a cliff over-looking the Bay of Naxos. Half way up the winding hillside road, your coach will stop in the underground parking area, where you’ll take the lifts to street level and the Square of Porta Catania.

Your guide will introduce you to the delights of Taormina on a guided walk, including the Piazza Vittorio Emanuele and the bustling main street of Corso Umberto, lined with former mansions and flower-filled balconies. Enjoy wonderful panoramic views from the balcony of Piazza IX Aprile.

Follow your guide up the narrow street for a visit to the Greek-Roman Theatre. This is Taormina’s most famous antiquity, dating back to the 2nd and 3rd centuries BC and which still hosts performances today. The Theatre’s dramatic location is nothing less than breathtaking, with an incredible view of the coast and Mount Etna in the distance.

Time permitting, you’ll have a short while to browse the shops and boutiques that line the main street of Taormina.

I just enjoyed walking around. Best food I've ever had there. I had this bruschetta and it was honestly amazing sorry I can't remember the name of the restaurant but from the Main Street, you look to the left and there are stairs. It's on the right side and had art on the side of the wall. We sat outside . I think there was a b & b right beside it. I would go back there just for that food again lol

Please be aware that the Taormina experience that is described in the previous responses is related to the portion of Taormina that is found up on the hills, well above sea level. I think it is about 750 feet above sea level. If your cruise line says you are tendering, you are probably actually tendering to nearby Giardini Naxos port. However, I have read that this is a 15 - 20 minute drive away from Taormina's popular tourist sites up on the hill. You will need to arrange for some form of transportation up to Taormina proper. This is from info that I have found over the last couple years. I have not tendered into Taormina myself. So it's possible things are now different. But I would research this a little more if I were you. Perhaps even confirming the tender location with your cruise line.

Edited by MeHeartCruising