Montego Bay, Jamaica excursions

ricecake

I'm looking for reviews and recommendations for shore excursions/tours in Montego Bay. I've browsed the shore excursions on the carnival site and can't find anything I just love. Would love some recommendations or first hand accounts of what you guys did.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We were on the Freedom in June and stopped at Montego Bay. I didn't do much research and didn't want to do a non Carnival excursion this trip,so we went with the day pass to Secrets.

It was nice. The beach area was clean the food was really good and the drinks were well made and plentiful. The pool was great and had a swim up bar. For me the down side of it was that we could have been any where. Except for the jerk chicken (which was AMAZING) I didn't really feel like I'd been to Jamaica. My fault for picking such a generic excursion.

We go in Jan, and I think my plan is to just go to Dr Cave's beach, Margaritaville, and Pork Pit.

I thought about hiring a driver to take us to Dr Cave, after maybe seeing a bit around, but I'm not sure. (I'm travelling with a group of 9, and $14 there and back just for cab fare - but a driver will probably be more expensive). I also considered Blue Hole, but I'll save that for a future cruise that stops in another port. I think it's much closer to Ocho Rios than MoBay. (I could be wrong on that).

Last spring we used Liberty Tours with Ricardo. There were 13 of us total and we divided into 2 vans. Ricardo and his crew did an outstanding job. Blue Hole, river tubing and lunch. Check them out, you won't be disappointed. Our group, including 4 teenage girls, felt totally safe with Ricardo.

We are just off the Conquest and our cruise stopped at Ocho Rios and we did Dunns River and stopped at Margaritaville. Dunns River was amazing and I highly recommend it if it is something that might be available on your cruise....I did book through Carnival.

I'm looking for reviews and recommendations for shore excursions/tours in Montego Bay. I've browsed the shore excursions on the carnival site and can't find anything I just love. Would love some recommendations or first hand accounts of what you guys did.

Thanks!

I am cautious by nature, so I am definitely booking through Carnival for our upcoming cruise that ports in Montego Bay. We decided to do the Thrill Seekers excursion. At $136 per person, I expect a good time. The reviews are pretty good. We go in August. I am sure to write a review.

We hired a driver for the day. It was 6 of us and we paid 150. He took us around town, to the airport then to shop then he dropped us off at dr. Cave beach for a couple of hours and picked us up. It was not a very scenic tour, he stayed close to the port and it was a rainy day. We enjoyed the beach though but I will look for something else next time.

We hired a driver for the day. It was 6 of us and we paid 150. He took us around town, to the airport then to shop then he dropped us off at dr. Cave beach for a couple of hours and picked us up. It was not a very scenic tour, he stayed close to the port and it was a rainy day. We enjoyed the beach though but I will look for something else next time.

Who did you use? I just emailed Chester tours for a price on this exact 'itinerary'.

Sorry OP, I didn't mean to hijack your thread!

It's been several years ago... but we did Mystic mountain through the cruise line. There was a "bobsled" ride there that we absolutely had a blast on. It is basically a roller coaster that you control your own speed in an individual car. There was a chair lift that took you up the mountain with incredible views. I believe they now have a pool & zip lines available too, after you are at the Mystic mountain site.

I'll look into all these options. We would love to do a your of some kind since our other 2 excursions will be water/beach days. I definitely want to go see the blue hole but from what I understand it's pretty far away from Montego Bay. I could be wrong about that though.

We go in Jan, and I think my plan is to just go to Dr Cave's beach, Margaritaville, and Pork Pit.

I thought about hiring a driver to take us to Dr Cave, after maybe seeing a bit around, but I'm not sure. (I'm travelling with a group of 9, and $14 there and back just for cab fare - but a driver will probably be more expensive). I also considered Blue Hole, but I'll save that for a future cruise that stops in another port. I think it's much closer to Ocho Rios than MoBay. (I could be wrong on that).

For $ 18 took a hop on hop off bus that took us somewhat around the area and finally got off Dr Caves beach. Spent a nice few hours here and than took bus back to the ship.

One word of caution. We were offered weed numerous times while at the beach. Said no and the people just walked away.

We are just off the Conquest and our cruise stopped at Ocho Rios and we did Dunns River and stopped at Margaritaville. Dunns River was amazing and I highly recommend it if it is something that might be available on your cruise....I did book through Carnival.

Dunn River is on the other side of the island from Montego bay and a long trip to get too.

If you are going to Margaritaville, then Doctor Cave's beach is on the same street, same side, just down a short walkable piece. Enjoy the Pork Pit, it's the best real authentic jerk around. That's why so many locals eat there and not that many tourists. After you try them, the resorts' jerk or Jack's Shack on another island (GT) are put to shame!

And where do I even start to look for private tours at? Trip advisor? Honestly private tours really make me nervous. This will be my first time cruising and leaving the country.

You can definitely stay with Carnival excursions as a 1st time cruiser!

After you learn the ropes and gain some experience, then you can begin to wander about with independents.

Did your driver tell you to snorkel in the area behind the rafts? There is a decent U shaped reef right there.

One of the products I buy in Jamaica is Blue Mountain coffee, I try to read the labels to make sure it isn't blended with another coffee strain. Usually goes for under $20/lb in the shops, if I try to order it from home it can be up to $100/lb and no way am I paying that much.

Do the private tours accommodate your cruise schedule? Meaning will they have us back to our port at the right time so we don't get left by the boat. This is my biggest fear!!

Edited by ricecake