No longer allowed to bring on Alcohol from ports? (recent Vista cruisers)

Velvetwater

I have been reading recent reviews of people saying they have had their spirits/wine taken off them or seen it happen on European sailings....

...this contradicts the 'bring on what you want' from the earlier reviews.

Any recent cruisers shed any light on their success?

On our previous CCL European cruise we brought on what we wanted.

I have been reading recent reviews of people saying they have had their spirits/wine taken off them or seen it happen on European sailings....

Source? Folks currently on and recently on Vista say this is not the case..Where are these reviews?

Source?

Theres a post on here that describes a bottle being taken off somebody as well as various things as well as cruiseline dot com as well as the major Vista page on the 'book of many faces'.

These comments are few and far between but I noticed they had increased so thought I would check. :)

We had no problems last European cruise with Carnival and Celebrity let us bring on what we liked in Europe too. However don't always take it for granted they will let you in Europe as Royal were pretty strict on our short cruise...however it was a ship full of thirsty Brits.

I am on the "major" page all. day. long. :eek: Haven't seen anything. I call foul on this post.

Nothing foul about asking an innocent question based on a small increase of alcohol removal related comments.

You are not even sailing on the European cruises. I call trespassing on this thread. :cool:

Nothing foul about asking an innocent question based on a small increase of alcohol removal related comments.

You are not even sailing on the European cruises. I call trespassing on this thread. :cool:

I'm on the FB vista thread and no ones mentioned this. Can u copy and paste the review u read

As I posted in another thread I personally observed hard liquor being confiscated at the security check-point while trying to be bought back on board. As with many things it is possible that the woman ahead of me encountered a stricter crew member. Nonetheless it happened (during the July 9 sailing).

As I posted in another thread I personally observed hard liquor being confiscated at the security check-point while trying to be bought back on board. As with many things it is possible that the woman ahead of me encountered a stricter crew member. Nonetheless it happened (during the July 9 sailing).

Just to clarify your other post, you only saw this happen in Crete, correct?

You were very specific on your other post, yet it then turns into somethings bigger here. Others that have been on more recently, have had no issues.

So I guess until we hear other ports where it has been taken away, avoid taking it on in Crete. I plan on getting a couple of bottles in Barcelona, since I will have 33 days on the ship, and it looks like it's a possibility we will have VAT on 2 of the 3 cruises.

....... I plan on getting a couple of bottles in Barcelona, since I will have 33 days on the ship......

Sorry to get of topic, Deb, but I am really jealous. B2B2B!! How great will that be!!!

Better get a couple extra bottles each time you are in Barcelona.

Edited by HawkIVette

CF fan's post was the first I saw which got me worrying. I will try and find the other bits later. The major page had it as a conversation on a main post rather than as a post by itself which is why it may have been missed?

Anywho, glad to hear its isolated cases. Who wants to pay £10 for a glass of mediocre wine when you can buy a decent bottle fromto your port for £8? :)

Could you also bring them to dinner in the dining room? open?

We saw people being turned away with an open wine bottle on X but On our Carnival Baltic cruise we saw a couple with a wine bottle under the table by the window. :)

We just grab the biggest wine glasses from a bar and take a huge glass in :)

Just to clarify your other post, you only saw this happen in Crete, correct?

You were very specific on your other post, yet it then turns into somethings bigger here. Others that have been on more recently, have had no issues.

So I guess until we hear other ports where it has been taken away, avoid taking it on in Crete. I plan on getting a couple of bottles in Barcelona, since I will have 33 days on the ship, and it looks like it's a possibility we will have VAT on 2 of the 3 cruises.

Sorry for the delayed response. Yes, there were only a couple or few ports in which Carnival staff were even running the security check-point. In most cases security was handled in the port terminal. Carnival security staff were only scanning everyone's sign and sail card as they re-boarded. I did not mean to make more out of this than is the actual case. I was surprised as anyone that a bottle of booze was confiscated given what we experienced 5 years ago on our Mediterranean cruise.

Just got back from the July 19th cruise out of Athens. We were able to bring on wine and or other drinks with no problem. As best as I can recall, at all of the ports, Carnival had their own metal detector and screening.