SDP sharing question

Tammyd549

I promise I've searched high and low for the answer to this BUT, here is my question:

I've read NCL terms and conditions and understand you can't share meals with SDP but,

If I purchase a SDP package and my teen daughter does not, is there anything to say that I can't share a bite or two of my food with her? Here is an example, we go to Ocean Blue, I order an appie and entree and desert. She only orders an entree. We share the appetizer and desert . Is this crossing the line?

Just trying to decide if we should buy it or not, we are NOT big eaters, I've tried to do the math but just can't figure out if it's worth our while. We will be going to the ala carte restaurants only as we are only interested in Cagneys, Ocean Blue , Sushi and Margaritaville (if its open when we sail)

I promise I've searched high and low for the answer to this BUT, here is my question:

I've read NCL terms and conditions and understand you can't share meals with SDP but,

If I purchase a SDP package and my teen daughter does not, is there anything to say that I can't share a bite or two of my food with her? Here is an example, we go to Ocean Blue, I order an appie and entree and desert. She only orders an entree. We share the appetizer and desert . Is this crossing the line?

Just trying to decide if we should buy it or not, we are NOT big eaters, I've tried to do the math but just can't figure out if it's worth our while. We will be going to the ala carte restaurants only as we are only interested in Cagneys, Ocean Blue , Sushi and Margaritaville (if its open when we sail)

Nope, no sharing. She can order and pay for whatever a la carte items she wants.

Of course you can give her a taste of your food

Do I know this for sure? Nope

Just thinking logically....you get your food included

She orders her food and pays

She asks for a taste. You give it to her.

Please don't even think about this any further and please don't even ask the waiter for an extra plate to share

Just let her taste it....because that's what you asked right....to let her taste it

They aren't going to suddenly charge you for the dessert that you are entitled to because you gave her a taste

Honestly do you really think the waiters are standing over you watching how many bites you take and how many bites she takes? Lol

Edited by luvtheships

Yes, you can share. You can order more than one of the apps, sides and desserts. Sometimes the waiters will "load" the check on the SDP holder, even if you don't order it as such.

Yes, you can share. You can order more than one of the apps, sides and desserts. Sometimes the waiters will "load" the check on the SDP holder, even if you don't order it as such.

No one is going to stand over you if you order two or three apps and two or three desserts and make sure you eat all of them yourself!! I eat very little in the way of desserts and my wife loves them. She will sometimes order two. Often the wait staff will try to get me to order one and I never do; however they will often bring me a spoon "just in case you want to sample!!".

We have found the wait staff; in general; don't care about being too picky about the "rules"!!

No one is going to stand over you if you order two or three apps and two or three desserts and make sure you eat all of them yourself!!
They don't have to stand over you. If one person has a dining package and orders three apps and three desserts and the other person does not have a dining package and orders no apps and no desserts, it's obvious to anyone what's going on there. But as you said, there are plenty of reports of the staff turning a blind eye to this, or actively encouraging it, and I don't believe I have heard a single story where someone was told they could not share their food.

Maybe if the second person orders nothing at all and makes their entire meal out of "tastes" from the first person's plates, they might say something in that case.

Maybe if the second person orders nothing at all and makes their entire meal out of "tastes" from the first person's plates, they might say something in that case.

Yes, this is the point. As long as you aren't going over the top then they won't have a problem.

The waitstaff are generally very reasonable with things like this.

You are aware you'll pay to pay an additional upcharge to dine in Ocean Blue even with your SDP? Do you plan to have your daughter dine with you at ala carte pricing on each night of your SDP? You may find it better to just purchase both of you a SDP and let her have all the "tastes" she desires

People on this board sometimes are a little over the top.

If she orders food too, and pays for it instead of effectively splitting your meal with you, that's fine.

A couple of years ago, I posted a similar situation - that, horror of horrors, I let my 6 yo have 1 escargot and one of the now- off the menu cone things in Le Bistro. He also ordered the kids pizza. Omg the humanity that I DARED let my minor child taste my food instead of ordering him an entire 2 appetizers all for himself.

Sure, she can taste. But she should also order her own food.

Don't people quite regularly taste a dish someone else in the group ordered? Last night for dinner I had a desert and my husband had a desert, I didn't mind him taking a bite of mine to try it. Also isn't that just how a lot of people might try something new?

I all too often can't finish my desert and have always let my husband finish it.

The responses here are funny.

Now take this scenario....

Mom has sdp...which entitles her to a meal that includes X number of appies...sides...etc

There are no tables that fit 1 person so even if she dines alone she gets a 2 top

She takes her dd...who doesn't have sdp ...to dinner with her....and they seat her at the 2 top

Mom orders her included sdp food....Dd orders nothing

Ok...so everything is still the same as if mom dined alone right?

Mom get her food...

Dd asks to have some...mom lets her...

Dd even uses moms utensils and drinks from moms water glass...thus zero extra work for the waiter...because we are all overly concerned about his/her welfare anyway

Conclusion....

Mom gets her included sdp meal..orders as much as she is allowed with her sdp meal...which she is entitled to...even if she were solo

Mom gets seated at a 2 top...which would have happened even if she was alone

Mom doesn't want to eat her entire sdp meal so she shares with Dd....

mom was still entitled to the food anyway

My above scenario is the same regardless of mom dining solo or dining with Dd

Ok posters....go to town with this one.....can't wait to hear the responses that rip my post apart....lol

People on this board sometimes are a little over the top.

The responses here are funny.

Are you two seeing replies that I can't?

It seems to me that the responses are pretty well all saying the same thing, which is basically, as long as you don't get stupid about it (I.e. The person with the SDP order two full meals and the other person nothing at all), then it should be fine.

Nothing over the top or funny about that. It seems to be fairly well what you two are saying as well.

Well I was referring to star flyers scenario and that basically cc posters to tend to be....

Um...

Holier than though at times

Maybe not this thread...but honestly just the op asking if it were ok to give Dd a taste is a bit much. Lol.

Reread post #1 and then reread post # 2 to see what I mean

I honestly can't tell if post # 2 is a joke or not. Lol

Edited by luvtheships

Now take this scenario…

Mom has UBP...which entitles her to as many drinks as she wants…

Sits down at a bar… dd comes along

Mom get a drink...

Dd drinks from moms glass, doesn't even use a chair or a cocktail napkin or anything...

The two of them finish the drink.

Mom keeps ordering drinks with her UBP throughout the cruise. She doesn't want to drink all of them so she shares with Dd....

mom was still entitled to those drinks anyway

My above scenario is the same regardless of mom cruising solo and wasting drinks or if Dd is there to swill down the leftovers

Now take this scenario…

Mom has UBP...which entitles her to as many drinks as she wants…

Sits down at a bar… dd comes along

Mom get a drink...

Dd drinks from moms glass, doesn't even use a chair or a cocktail napkin or anything...

The two of them finish the drink.

Mom keeps ordering drinks with her UBP throughout the cruise. She doesn't want to drink all of them so she shares with Dd....

mom was still entitled to those drinks anyway

My above scenario is the same regardless of mom cruising solo and wasting drinks or if Dd is there to swill down the leftovers

Nope not at all....

We are talking about 1 sdp meal with limited amounts

You are talking about unlimited drinks

Lol...see what I mean about CC posters.

Lol.... holier than though!!!!

Btw...hawk....have you reread your post number 6?

Edited by luvtheships

We are talking about 1 sdp meal with limited amounts

An SDP meal does not have limited amounts. You are entitled to as many starters and desserts and sides as you like, but they are for you to eat. Not for you to waste intentionally, and not for you to feed other people with. Tasting is fine. Beyond that, I guess it depends how holy thou art. :rolleyes:

An SDP meal does not have limited amounts. You are entitled to as many starters and desserts and sides as you like, but they are for you to eat. Not for you to waste intentionally, and not for you to feed other people with. Tasting is fine. Beyond that, I guess it depends how holy thou art. :rolleyes:

Limited entrees!!!!!

You are encouraged to try the variety of starters and desserts.

What is defined as unlimited, I have read only 2 apps and 2 Deserts? This was info from other posts.
There have been reports of people being told here and there (in some restaurants, on some ships, by some restaurant staff members) that they can only order apps and desserts up to some limit with the SDP.

There is no limit on apps and desserts stated in the official rules of the SDP (but the rules do not explicitly say that apps and desserts are unlimited, either). If this becomes a real issue — people intentionally ordering too much and wasting a lot of food, or giving too many "tastes" to fellow diners who do not have the package — then they may have to clarify the rules accordingly.

I think there is a big difference in ordering one's food and someone asking for a taste versus someone ordering one's food with the intention of saving money by sharing the item with someone else and let's face it, I think we all know the difference. I'd also bet if NCL see a lot of "sharing", they will then limit the number of items one can get with the SDP, which would be sad for many.

Edited by NLH Arizona

I think there is a big difference in ordering one's food and someone asking to taste versus someone ordering one's food with the intention of saving money by sharing the item with someone else and let's face it, I think we all know the difference. I'd also bet if NCL see a lot of "sharing", they will then limit the number of items one can get with the SDP.

So true. Allowing someone to taste is one thing, but sharing more than a taste is something else entirely. And ordering for the purpose of sharing with someone who does not have the SDP is going to eventually result in NCL limiting the items.