Hurtigruten for disabled.

teddytumtum

I am thinking of going with Hurtigruten on a Northern Lights cruise, but as I have to use a mobility scooter am wondering if this cruise would be suitable. I have been to Norway in the Summer months with no problems but with Princess. Can anyone give me some advice please. Thank you

When I was on the Trollfjord last summer I saw 2 passengers who were using wheelchairs, and asked one of them about their accommodations. He said he had a fully accessible cabin on the same deck with the entrance to the ship (deck 4). The exit to the top deck from the Vista Lounge was accessible, but most of the doorways from the interior on other decks would not be accessible, both due to heavy doors and a significant lip at the threshold. The hot tubs access was ramped, but no lift.

There was a lift at the ship's entrance area (about 8-10 steps) which I saw him using to get on and off the ship. I did not see fully accessible tour buses though, so I would not plan on that as a way to get around in port. In some ports you are very close to what there is to see, and most areas there are curb cuts so you could use a scooter to get around. I would assume that same would be true for most of the newer/more modern ships, but not for the few older ones.

Edited by Splinter