Caribbean Cruise planning advice

bagladee

Hi there,

We are planning a 7 day Caribbean Cruise next summer with our young adult children and a few other 40yr old couples. This will be our 5th trip to the Caribbean: 2 Bahamas, 1 Southern Caribbean and 1 Western Caribbean all sailed out of Florida. I'm hoping for some feedback on which is the BEST ship to sail on, which city to leave out of, and which ports are a MUST SEE!! I'm not a big fan of the new MegaPorts; I want to get out and see the islands. I'm considering the Breeze out of Galveston to change things up a bit; but we are really open to suggestions. I'm thinking one of the newer ships with more activities on board.... All ideas and thoughts are appreciated!!

First, welcome to Cruise Critic! You will surely get a lot of "advice" for your cruise planning! :D

Of course, you are the only one who can determine if you like or don't like a particular ship or port. A lot has to do with your personal tastes. Ports would depend on whether you are beach people or sightseeing people or adventuresome types. There are great options for almost any type of cruiser!

Some of our favorite ports have been Grant Turk (beach), St. Thomas (beach, sightseeing, shopping, snorkeling), San Juan (sightseeing), Cozumel (beach, shopping, sightseeing), Key West (just a fun place to visit!), Half Moon Cay (beach).

Since you are posting your question on the Carnival thread, I assume you are planning on booking a Carnival cruise. You probably are in a "pick 'em" situation there! Where do you want to sail from? That will determine, pretty much, what your ship options are. Galveston is a good port and gets pretty high marks for efficiency in getting folks on and off the ships there. In Miami, you have several ships to choose from. Miami can be a bit hectic on turnaround day since many of the ships there are of the mega variety.

I realize this has not been as specific as you asked for, but so much will depend on your personal tastes and likes/dislikes. Pick the ports you want to visit and then determine what ship and embarkation port you need to look at.

Best of luck with your planning and don't hesitate to ask specific questions as you get further along with your planning!

Hi there,

We are planning a 7 day Caribbean Cruise next summer with our young adult children and a few other 40yr old couples. This will be our 5th trip to the Caribbean: 2 Bahamas, 1 Southern Caribbean and 1 Western Caribbean all sailed out of Florida. I'm hoping for some feedback on which is the BEST ship to sail on, which city to leave out of, and which ports are a MUST SEE!! I'm not a big fan of the new MegaPorts; I want to get out and see the islands. I'm considering the Breeze out of Galveston to change things up a bit; but we are really open to suggestions. I'm thinking one of the newer ships with more activities on board.... All ideas and thoughts are appreciated!!

Hi there! If you choose the Breeze out of Galveston, and choose May 28, you'll cruise with us ;-). We will be 2 families of 40-somethings with 2 teenage boys, 2 teenage girls and younger boy. (18,15,14,13,8)

We aren't big mega-port excursion/shopping type people either - we typically try to book solitude and a beach. So, next May, we are booking Nachi Cocum in cozumel - it has been one of our favorite beach days in 7 cruises - can't wait to go back. For Roatan, we're looking at Tabyana beach...and although it's not private (no beaches are private in Roatan), it wasn't too busy last time we were there - but the snorkeling was the best I've ever had. Ever. Incredible, and it's right off the beach. Not big fans of Belize - been there 2 or 3 times, honestly I could stay on the ship and be ok, but we may try to find some beach or something to try.

Honestly our favorite ship we've ever been on was the Breeze, that's why we re-booked her (see my video below for a taste of the Breeze). I love her. My only little want on the Breeze would be the Alchemy bar - but she doesn't have it unfortunately. Other than that I love that ship.

Other favorite ports include Grand Turk - admittedly not much there, but we love Jack's Shack. We also love St. Lucia (Sugar Beach) and St. Thomas (Honeymoon Beach on Water Island) (those two are on the top video).

Happy cruise searching!

I sailed on the Breeze and really liked that ship - My favorite ship is the Pride, but if you are considering the Breeze - you won't be disappointed. Our cabin was on the LIDO deck and we loved it !!.. :D

As for ports, my favorite is Half Moon Cay - if you go there, make sure to rent a cabana - it can get very hot and the cabana provides shade and a/c - also munchies, cold drinks (water & soda) and a fruit and veggie tray.. Its it worth every penny and since you are in a group, you can share the cost..

Breeze is the best ship (and I say this as someone who sailed Vista last month)! If you prefer Florida departures though then you may want to consider her older sister, Magic. I haven't been but would consider it myself.

As for ports I love San Juan and Grand Turk. San Juan has history and great architecture. Grand Turk offers a nice beach but the pool and party fun at Margaritaville is where it's at.

We love the history and the architecture of San Juan, Puerto Rico as it reminds us of the French Quarter here at home. Half Moon Cay is the perfect beach!(agree on the tip about renting a cabana) Our favorite port is St. Maarten by far! There is one main road that circles the island so we rent a jeep and explore on our own stopping for shopping and beaches.

So far my favorite ship has been the Freedom, however, that is subject to change since we sail on the Breeze in 65 days.

As for favorite ports, I would have to say:

• Grand Cayman // parasailing or snorkeling @ Eden Rock within walking distance of the port

• San Juan // touring the forts, shopping, or segway tour

• Cozumel // something for just about anybody...beaches, shopping, tours, etc. Our last trip to Cozumel, we did the Amazing Cozumel Race and had a BLAST!! We are in our 40's and ran it with our friends were in their early 50's. I can highly recommend this. If you're looking for a relaxing beach day, we've gone to Paradise Beach several times and have enjoyed it thoroughly.

We've sailed from Mobile (Alabama), NOLA, and Ft. Lauderdale. I would say that NOLA has probably been our favorite, but I'm looking forward to sailing from Galveston in September. I've heard great things about that port. The biggest downside of sailing from NOLA is that the Dream hasn't had any of the 2.0 upgrades. The Triumph has, but it only does four (4) or five (5) day cruises at this time.

I'm not sure if this has helped any or not but hopefully it's given you a few things to consider. Whatever you choose, I know you'll have a great time!

Our favorite ship so far is the Magic, although we've thoroughly enjoyed every ship we've been on. We loved the Freedom because she has the 2.0 upgrades, and we also loved the Slendor because of the amazing staff. Our favorite itinerary by far has been the HMC, San Juan, St. Thomas and Grand Turk run. Beautiful places. We've cruised out of Galveston and Miami, and although Galveston is much closer and very easy to sail out of, you can't beat the views at the Port of Miami. Just beautiful. Our least favorite itinerary has been the one that stopped in Roatan and Belize. Just not a lot to do and not that scenic. But when it comes down to it, you really can't beat being on a ship that's taking you to paradise. LOL

Most favorite = St Maarten

Google: St Maarten Maho Beach ... look for a video of planes landing:D

We love the Sunset Bar and Grill at Maho Beach.... Cold Beer, Good Food, Great View ... right on the beach .... who could ask for more?? :)

We sailed on the Freedom out of Florida last August. Puerto Rico seemed to offer just about everything. So much so that we're going on a land vacation next month ...2 weeks in PR!! OH, we loved the Freedom. We've yet to sail on the Mega Ships.:):)

Don't know if it makes a difference but the Dream out of New Orleans goes to dry dock before next summer so it "should" have the new upgrades and be spiffed up a bit. We have sailed out of New Orleans because we live close by and have both parked and been dropped off and find going and returning quite easy. But let me say we have done a few cruises other than New Orleans and never can say we have had a embarkation or debarkation worth complaining about.

A lot of people don't put Cozumel on their list of favorites but if going with a varied group it does offer choices for everyone if you don't plan on everyone doing the same excursion.

Also each port usually has some real good place to go if you do some research. The ships do go there for a reason.

For instance I am not a huge fan of Cozumel as a whole but have found couple great things to do for one day when on a cruise. Primarily Nachi Cocom. never had bad experience there. Love it.

Also seen where one poster didn't care for Roatan as it has no private beaches but it has Little French Key which is a small private island with plenty beach space.

So yes deciding where, when, and what ship is difficult.

I look at it this way, all the ships, ports and itineraries keep us cruisers coming back time after time so none are really bad or they would fix it.