When is the right time to purchase your flight?

20 flights over what time frame? If it's a month, then you have some valid information. Any longer, nope, not with hundreds of flights per week. There are official stat charts to look at that give the actual percentages.

Whatever the official stats say is all well and good. Not sure why it makes any difference whether it be in a month or years.

MY EXPERIENCE defies the odds/stats then. And as long as it's not broke then there is no need to fix it.

Somewhat off topic, but, if their fares drop, Southwest allows you to rebook at the lower price without penalty -- multiple times.

I too buy on SW when my budget allows and the fare seems "right". I then check in from time to time to watch for price drops. I've had my August flights since Feb/Mar. However, we just bought tickets for my family coming from another city and not able to get nonstop SW. Those prices had dropped from about a month ago when we looked at the trip into MIA (now using FLL, just like I will on SW).

Travel planning has all kinds of pricing risks and you won't catch every break every time. Figure out your budget, timing, etc. and work within your parameters. As long as you "stay in your lane" I wouldn't worry about things. My biggest price drop this time came from NCL, last trip I got no break and we sailed for our booked price.