Corkage at ports

don1976

Just to confirm that you're able to buy bottles of wine at the port stops and then pay the corkage.

We are told originally by the NCL customer services on the phone that it could only be done at embarkation, for us at Barcelona - however at the ports we found otherwise during our cruise on the Epic this week.

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

Just to confirm that you're able to buy bottles of wine at the port stops and then pay the corkage.

We are told originally by the NCL customer services on the phone that it could only be done at embarkation, for us at Barcelona - however at the ports we found otherwise during our cruise on the Epic this week.

Interesting. Perhaps the official line is embarkation only, but it's down to local initiative whether they are OK with ports of call coming under the same umbrella. I am intrigued to see how things go on our upcoming cruise out of Vancouver. It certainly begs the question: buy at Safeway's liquor outlet in Vancouver at Canadian prices, or see what Ketchikan has to offer?

Watch out for what the NCL reps tell you, you can ask 5 different reps the same question and get 5 different answers.

The new wording as of July 16 is only on embarkation day you can pay a corkage fee and bring on wine. Sounds like the new policy is they will hold any wine purchased at ports until the last night of the cruise.

Watch out for what the NCL reps tell you, you can ask 5 different reps the same question and get 5 different answers.

I almost said this too, but the OP is from the UK and the reps we deal with here (based in Malta I believe) are generally not to bad with info.

I agree about the US ones though. Whilst I've never spoken to them myself, reports on here suggest that the only reason for asking them a question is to rule out what they give you as an answer.

I was just trying to help.

When we rejoined the ship after every port stop, there was a guy sat behind a table after security with a 'wine corkage' sign.

Interesting. Perhaps the official line is embarkation only, but it's down to local initiative whether they are OK with ports of call coming under the same umbrella. I am intrigued to see how things go on our upcoming cruise out of Vancouver. It certainly begs the question: buy at Safeway's liquor outlet in Vancouver at Canadian prices, or see what Ketchikan has to offer?

Just for clarification - Safeway doesn't sell liquor (or even beer or wine) in Vancouver. There's a provincial liquor store right next door to the Safeways on Davie and Robson - pricing is the same across the board in all stores, so buy in whichever store is nearest to your hotel (or the one in the Harbour Centre just a few blocks from Canada Place). You can see prices online here. Some private liquor stores are also around, but these are generally more expensive than the provincial stores.

When we rejoined the ship after every port stop, there was a guy sat behind a table after security with a 'wine corkage' sign.

Was that after the new July 15 policy?

I thought the new policy was wine at original embarkation only. Otherwise held.

Was that after the new July 15 policy?

I thought the new policy was wine at original embarkation only. Otherwise held.

Yes. As per the original post, we cruised this week. We embarked at Barcelona 17/7.

Just for clarification - Safeway doesn't sell liquor (or even beer or wine) in Vancouver. There's a provincial liquor store right next door to the Safeways on Davie and Robson - pricing is the same across the board in all stores, so buy in whichever store is nearest to your hotel (or the one in the Harbour Centre just a few blocks from Canada Place). You can see prices online here. Some private liquor stores are also around, but these are generally more expensive than the provincial stores.

Yes, sorry, I should have clarified. We know that Safeway itself does not sell alcohol, but the store in the West End area has a liquor store 'attached'. With a couple of days in Vancouver, and the Safeway outlet being just around the corner from our hotel, we will check the situation out. I think there is a BC Liquor store attached as you say. It is still strange for us, living in the UK, to have to make that differentiation, taking for granted that stores like Safeway over here routinely sell wines and spirits, but in Canada do not.

I hope they're doing just that on the Vancouver - Seward run! :)

Yes, sorry, I should have clarified. We know that Safeway itself does not sell alcohol, but the store in the West End area has a liquor store 'attached'. With a couple of days in Vancouver, and the Safeway outlet being just around the corner from our hotel, we will check the situation out. I think there is a BC Liquor store attached as you say. It is still strange for us, living in the UK, to have to make that differentiation, taking for granted that stores like Safeway over here routinely sell wines and spirits, but in Canada do not.

No need to apologise - I only posted because I know it's weird for Brits to not be able to buy booze in supermarkets so I thought you should be warned. You've obviously stayed in the West End before so are familiar with how we do things - but if it's the Davie rather than Robson Safeway your hotel is near, be aware that the store is being demolished soon to make way for another residential tower. They plan to reopen inside the new building, but I haven't heard about where the liquor store will move to.

Our liquor laws are super-fun compared to what you're used to (my drinking days started in Scotland) and vary provincially. Until a couple of years ago you couldn't even carry your own drink from the bar to a table here in BC! Technically supermarkets CAN now acquire a liquor license - one in Surrey has - but there are only two sites in the whole of Vancouver that meet the criteria of distance from existing licensees so it's a virtually pointless change of the law here for all practical purposes. The legislative changes did open up tasting rooms for breweries though, so as a Brit you might like to take advantage of some of the many new sample rooms that have sprung up around Vancouver.

Yes, call it culture shock! In recent years we have been to Alberta and Ontario, staying with friends who have been out there since 2002 and know the ropes. It's a novelty (although the price of wine is less of a novelty than an annoyance).

Fortunately, we are staying not too far from the Robson St Safeway and will be able to scout that store out with little difficulty.

Thanks for the local knowledge.

• 2 weeks later...

Incidentally, although the official stated procedure seems that wine can only be brought aboard at the Embarkation Ports, has anyone noticed a more relaxed approach on the Alaskan routes recently? Has anyone noticed a 'corkage desk' at the boarding point when at Ketchikan, etc?