LAX flight - stay in LA or LB? travel from Santa Barbara

movingimages

We are cruising out of Long Beach for first time Dec. 11. A couple of questions:

1) DH and I fly in from ATL to LAX on Dec. 10. Does it make more sense to transfer from LA to LB on Dec. 10 and stay at a hotel there? OR is it better to overnight in LA and transfer to LB the morning of Dec. 11?

2) Based on choice above, what are transportation options to get to the cruise port in Long Beach?

3) DD is joining us, traveling from UC Santa Barbara. Train, bus? Other options? Pros and Cons?

Thanks for any info anyone out there can provide!

We are cruising out of Long Beach for first time Dec. 11. A couple of questions:

1) DH and I fly in from ATL to LAX on Dec. 10. Does it make more sense to transfer from LA to LB on Dec. 10 and stay at a hotel there? OR is it better to overnight in LA and transfer to LB the morning of Dec. 11?

2) Based on choice above, what are transportation options to get to the cruise port in Long Beach?

3) DD is joining us, traveling from UC Santa Barbara. Train, bus? Other options? Pros and Cons?

Don't stay by LAX. Not a nice area at all. Better to get a shuttle (like Supershuttle or a private shuttle service) to Long Beach. Check posts by BruinSteve in this board (west destinations) as he lists some good choices for hotels (avoid the ones in the industrial part of LB). Many LB hotels offer a shuttle to the Port of LB.

Amtrak has the Surfliner. You can check the Amtrak website to find out the schedule.

Bus either private shuttle which runs to airports as well as in town or greyhound which is less expensive but has more limited stops are your best transit options. Do note that she is actually closer to Goleta and that the airport in SB is right next to the campus. Looks like your daughter is new to SB and I do not know your timing into LAX but there is another option. I went to school in LA while my wife lived in SB so I drove that trip literally hundreds of time. If your flight comes in by midday, consider renting a car. You can see where she lives, spend a nice evening in SB and then return to the port easily for your cruise. Of course if you are spending time with her after the cruise then you will see SB.

Finally maybe by then she will have met some locals for whom a drive from SB to LA is just a road trip and she can arrange a quick ride down. Crazy as it may seem when my youngest was a freshman at UCSB he and some buddies wanted Krispy Creams one night so they drove to LA for a couple dozen. Ah college kids.

What time are you getting into LA? If late, stay at LAX and get to port in the morning. Sunday morning traffic should be very light. If earlier, then stay near Long Beach. Queen Mary is fine if you like antiques. Many will stay at the Hotel Maya. There is a Carnival code floating around here. Think you have to call for this rate.

Could take taxi, Uber, Lyft, shuttle or execucar (Super Shuttles black car service.)

Your DD has a few choices. If she could get a ride to the LA area from Santa Barbara that would be great. Look on the ride board or other Uni-based ride program.

Wouldn't advise Greyhound. The clientele and stations are not great below San Francisco. She could try Bolt Bus or Mega Bus. IIRC both use Union Station as a hub. I've seen Bolt Bus there.

Amtrak is always an option to LA Union Station.

Getting from Union Station is a bit harder, but there are options.

She could take a taxi, Uber, Lyft, shuttle or execucar (Super Shuttles black car service.)

There are cheaper options--

If you're staying at LAX and she gets into LA the night before she could take the Flyaway ($8) Union Station to LAX, then the hotel shuttle.

If she arrives the early enough the day of she could take the LA Metro to Port of Long Beach. It'll take about 2 hours

From Union Station-- ($2.75, including TAP card.)

Red or Purple Lines to the 7th Street transfer Station

transfer to the Blue Line to Long Beach Transit Mall

Catch the free Passport bus at Ocean & Pine* to the Queen Mary and the Cruiseport.

We've done this many times to Long Beach. Warning we won't do this at night. Sundown will be just after 4pm. It goes thru some very rough areas of LA (Compton, Watts, South Central) We have never had any issues, three grey haired ladies. DD22 has taken this route by herself with no issues either.

http://www.lawa.org/FlyAway/content.aspx?id=10152

metro.net

http://www.lbtransit.com/Services/Passport.aspx

(*the bus stop is near the little line between the B and F on the map)

We are sailing with you. We would be taking the Metro to port if we didn't have to do a car exchange with Mom and Sis (They're getting off as we get on.) We will be taking the trains home.

See you onboard.

Edited by SadieN

Based on your one night prior arrival, I would go directly to Long Beach and stay the night there...Hyatt Regency, Hyatt Centric at the Pike, Renaissance, Westin, Maya Doubletree, Residence Inn Downtown, Hilton would be my choices in that order...

Probably just take a shuttle...SuperShuttle is fine and relatively inexpensive...or, if you want to avoid the sharing thing, use their Execucar service...

For your daughter, there is a perfect service: The Santa Barbara Airbus:

https://www.sbairbus.com/

The Goleta pick-up is right near the UCSB campus and I'm sure a friend could drop her off or the university may even provide a shuttle...They have direct frequent bus service to either LAX or to the cruise port. Were it me, I'd have her take the airbus to LAX and meet me there and shuttle with us down to Long Beach and spend the night. If her schedule doesn't permit, then she could take the Airbus directly to port the day of the cruise.

One suggestion regarding your daughter. If that's right as finals are ending for the quarter, she should book her ticket (for whatever mode of transportation) early (at least a month or so ahead). There will be plenty of other college students seeking transportation going back to LA. My daughter was coming from a college way to the north, taking Greyhound to SF, where we would meet her. Her last final was on a Friday so I told her to go to the bus station a few weeks early to buy her ticket for a Saturday departure and it was a good thing she did because the buses sold out for that day soon after.

Thanks for all of the great info and suggestions. I will start investigating.

To answer a couple of questions, our flight is due to arrive at LAX at 6:10 p.m., that is if all goes well and no delays. Daughter will be past finals (if she even has any, being a grad student, it will most likely be papers) and will have a flexible schedule to meet us either in LA or LB. We'll be accompanying her just shy of 2 weeks to get settled at beginning of term, as well as staying 10 days post-cruise, so lots of opportunity to visit SB and environs (yay!).

If any of that info changes anyone's advice, please share. I really appreciate the insight and help!

One suggestion regarding your daughter. If that's right as finals are ending for the quarter' date=' she should book her ticket (for whatever mode of transportation) early (at least a month or so ahead). There will be plenty of other college students seeking transportation going back to LA. My daughter was coming from a college way to the north, taking Greyhound to SF, where we would meet her. Her last final was on a Friday so I told her to go to the bus station a few weeks early to buy her ticket for a Saturday departure and it was a good thing she did because the buses sold out for that day soon after.[/quote']

Oh, good point. I hadn't thought about that. Once I make a final decision on where we will overnight, I will definitely reserve her a ticket. Thanks!

Bus either private shuttle which runs to airports as well as in town or greyhound which is less expensive but has more limited stops are your best transit options. Do note that she is actually closer to Goleta and that the airport in SB is right next to the campus. Looks like your daughter is new to SB and I do not know your timing into LAX but there is another option. I went to school in LA while my wife lived in SB so I drove that trip literally hundreds of time. If your flight comes in by midday, consider renting a car. You can see where she lives, spend a nice evening in SB and then return to the port easily for your cruise. Of course if you are spending time with her after the cruise then you will see SB.

Finally maybe by then she will have met some locals for whom a drive from SB to LA is just a road trip and she can arrange a quick ride down. Crazy as it may seem when my youngest was a freshman at UCSB he and some buddies wanted Krispy Creams one night so they drove to LA for a couple dozen. Ah college kids.

LOL on the Krispy Kremes. Those are so popular here in ATL, but I prefer Dunkin' Donuts. :) DD is a grad student, so I think? hope? she won't have time for those kinds of trips. :) But it would be nice to meet some friends that she could transport to LA with. I know her favorite band is located in LA, and I have no doubt she will try to see them in a club date there.

I forgot about how close the airport is. She used that when she went for her campus visit. I can check to see what kind of cheap flight might be available.

Based on your one night prior arrival, I would go directly to Long Beach and stay the night there...Hyatt Regency, Hyatt Centric at the Pike, Renaissance, Westin, Maya Doubletree, Residence Inn Downtown, Hilton would be my choices in that order...

Probably just take a shuttle...SuperShuttle is fine and relatively inexpensive...or, if you want to avoid the sharing thing, use their Execucar service...

For your daughter, there is a perfect service: The Santa Barbara Airbus:

https://www.sbairbus.com/

The Goleta pick-up is right near the UCSB campus and I'm sure a friend could drop her off or the university may even provide a shuttle...They have direct frequent bus service to either LAX or to the cruise port. Were it me, I'd have her take the airbus to LAX and meet me there and shuttle with us down to Long Beach and spend the night. If her schedule doesn't permit, then she could take the Airbus directly to port the day of the cruise.

Hadn't heard of the sbairbus...Thanks! Sounds like there are going to be some decent options from which to choose.

What time are you getting into LA? If late, stay at LAX and get to port in the morning. Sunday morning traffic should be very light. If earlier, then stay near Long Beach. Queen Mary is fine if you like antiques. Many will stay at the Hotel Maya. There is a Carnival code floating around here. Think you have to call for this rate.

Could take taxi, Uber, Lyft, shuttle or execucar (Super Shuttles black car service.)

Your DD has a few choices. If she could get a ride to the LA area from Santa Barbara that would be great. Look on the ride board or other Uni-based ride program.

Wouldn't advise Greyhound. The clientele and stations are not great below San Francisco. She could try Bolt Bus or Mega Bus. IIRC both use Union Station as a hub. I've seen Bolt Bus there.

Amtrak is always an option to LA Union Station.

Getting from Union Station is a bit harder, but there are options.

She could take a taxi, Uber, Lyft, shuttle or execucar (Super Shuttles black car service.)

There are cheaper options--

If you're staying at LAX and she gets into LA the night before she could take the Flyaway ($8) Union Station to LAX, then the hotel shuttle.

If she arrives the early enough the day of she could take the LA Metro to Port of Long Beach. It'll take about 2 hours

From Union Station-- ($2.75, including TAP card.)

Red or Purple Lines to the 7th Street transfer Station

transfer to the Blue Line to Long Beach Transit Mall

Catch the free Passport bus at Ocean & Pine* to the Queen Mary and the Cruiseport.

We've done this many times to Long Beach. Warning we won't do this at night. Sundown will be just after 4pm. It goes thru some very rough areas of LA (Compton, Watts, South Central) We have never had any issues, three grey haired ladies. DD22 has taken this route by herself with no issues either.

http://www.lawa.org/FlyAway/content.aspx?id=10152

metro.net

http://www.lbtransit.com/Services/Passport.aspx

(*the bus stop is near the little line between the B and F on the map)

We are sailing with you. We would be taking the Metro to port if we didn't have to do a car exchange with Mom and Sis (They're getting off as we get on.) We will be taking the trains home.

See you onboard.

Thanks for all the great suggestions! Glad to see you are on our cruise. Not much activity on the 'boards.' The Miracle is one of my favorite ships; definitely my favorite class. Have you done these ports before? Any suggestions for activities? It's all new for us.

Thanks for all the great suggestions! Glad to see you are on our cruise. Not much activity on the 'boards.' The Miracle is one of my favorite ships; definitely my favorite class. Have you done these ports before? Any suggestions for activities? It's all new for us.

I'll answer on the roll call.

The Ports of Call - Mexican Riviera board has lots of info.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by SadieN

Ordinarily I'd say stay by the cruise port the night before, but with your daughter coming from UCSB it seems much simpler to stay by LAX.

She can take the Santa Barbara Airbus to LAX from the Santa Barbara airport. Once at LAX she can take a shuttle to the hotel you are staying at.

The train is a bad idea because that puts her in Downtown LA. Then she has to use the Flyaway Bus to get to LAX and then a shuttle to the hotel. Using the SB Airbus is the easiest option.

Next day I'd use UberX or ExecuCar Express to get to the port. ExecuCar Express is a class up from the regular SuperShuttle, which I think is awful.

http://www.execucarexpress.com/

Ordinarily I'd say stay by the cruise port the night before, but with your daughter coming from UCSB it seems much simpler to stay by LAX.

She can take the Santa Barbara Airbus to LAX from the Santa Barbara airport. Once at LAX she can take a shuttle to the hotel you are staying at.

The train is a bad idea because that puts her in Downtown LA. Then she has to use the Flyaway Bus to get to LAX and then a shuttle to the hotel. Using the SB Airbus is the easiest option.

Next day I'd use UberX or ExecuCar Express to get to the port. ExecuCar Express is a class up from the regular SuperShuttle, which I think is awful.

http://www.execucarexpress.com/

Thanks for the tips!