I've been out of the loop too long

Ok, I admit it ... I haven't been on a cruise ship in six years, and as a result I haven't been following what's going on in the industry or with RCCL specifically.

I remember the "old" Empress of the Seas from years ago, she used to sail out of New York City. A smaller class of ship, from what I remember, but still was popular.

The last I heard, the Empress had been sold off to another cruise line.

Am I reading correctly that the Empress is back in the fleet? If so, is it the same ship from years gone by, or something new? I know I can Google for this info, but those that have been on her would have better info and details than Google could provide.

Thanks,

Michael

Yes, the same Empress is back with the fleet. She had been sailing with Pullmantur cruises since 2008, but returned to the RCI fleet this past May, following extensive dry dock delays. She has been completely refurbished, and was brought back to be used for Cuba cruises. Right now, she is doing 4/5 night Bahamas and Caribbean itineraries, because Cuba has NOT been approved.

Obviously, she is a small ship compared to today's standards across the industry, but I've been reading good reviews. She can't hold a candle to Royal's newest and biggest ships, but she looks like a nice little ship.

Yes, the same Empress is back with the fleet. She had been sailing with Pullmantur cruises since 2008, but returned to the RCI fleet this past May, following extensive dry dock delays. She has been completely refurbished, and was brought back to be used for Cuba cruises. Right now, she is doing 4/5 night Bahamas and Caribbean itineraries, because Cuba has NOT been approved.

Obviously, she is a small ship compared to today's standards across the industry, but I've been reading good reviews. She can't hold a candle to Royal's newest and biggest ships, but she looks like a nice little ship.

Thank you for your reply, I appreciate being brought up to speed. When we were living in Jersey City years ago, every weekend we'd be down at the River Walk watching the QE2 and Empress enter and leave port ... and of course we'd hear the Caribbean music coming from the top deck of Empress, the folks did seem to be having a great time at sail away.

Regards,

Michael