Roommate Forced to Cancel

I have family members who are sailing in September, but one person in the group has to cancel due to a medical issue. The person who is canceling has the vacation protection plan, so she will get some of her money back. Will her roommate be responsible for paying the additional cost of a double occupancy rate since she will be in the cabin alone?

Not sure about Carnival's Insurance but I had this situation on Royal with their insurance. Our daughter did not have to pay anything additional because the insurance covered the other person in the cabin that had to cancel. I would call the insurance company. It was an easy process for us.

BonVoyage

Dawna

Do both parties have insurance?

If so, then the one still going most likely will not have to pay more.

If the one still sailing did not get insurance, then Yes, they will have to pay more.

Do both parties have insurance?

If so, then the one still going most likely will not have to pay more.

If the one still sailing did not get insurance, then Yes, they will have to pay more.

On a girls cruise this happened. One of the husbands had a heart attack right before sailing. We called Carnival to cancel her out so the insurance claim could be started. The person still going had to pay the single supplement right then and there, but she was reimbursed by the insurance. Each traveler had to file a claim. Since it was an easy claim to document they had their checks within about 10 days of filing the claims. As pointed out, they both must take insurance for the coverage to kick in for the person still going.

It would be the same with 3rd party insurance because the full amount of the trip has to be insured, meaning all travelers have to take the insurance.

Edited by DebJ14

I have family members who are sailing in September, but one person in the group has to cancel due to a medical issue. The person who is canceling has the vacation protection plan, so she will get some of her money back. Will her roommate be responsible for paying the additional cost of a double occupancy rate since she will be in the cabin alone?

I'm guessing she'll have to pay extra. There was a thread a while ago about this. Someone thought it was a way for a solo to travel paying only for one by having a friend who got insurance book and then cancel thinking the insured person would get repaid and her original fee would remain. I think it was determined that plot does not work or too many people would try it.

Can the roommate be replaced? Almost all fares will allow a change of pax for $50. Easy Saver doesn't allow changes.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thanks for your responses. The person who is sailing does not have insurance and has been unable to find anyone to replace her roommate. She has a month to find someone, so it may work out.

Did the other person cancel yet? If so, did she have to pay extra?

I'm guessing she'll have to pay extra. There was a thread a while ago about this. Someone thought it was a way for a solo to travel paying only for one by having a friend who got insurance book and then cancel thinking the insured person would get repaid and her original fee would remain. I think it was determined that plot does not work or too many people would try it.

Insurance companies have probably caught this and will not pay for the single supplement. I am sure some folks have used this scheme before and ruined it for others.

• 3 months later...

I know this is an old post, but I want to put this up to warn others. If your cabin mate cancels out and you find someone to replace him/her, make sure when you call Carnival to add them in, that they pay in full for everything.

We just had this happen, our friend broke her foot, she cancelled out and there was another lady take her place in the cabin. Carnival told that woman she only had to pay for the port fees and tips as the money from the lady cancelled had to stay on the account and she had the insurance and would get paid everything back except the $49.00 she paid for the insurance from Aon Affinity, Carnivals Insurance carrier. When she turned in her claim, Aon said she had a valid claim and could pay her, however, they can only pay what Carnival tells them to pay. Carnival said she only gets back $150.00 as the woman who took her spot in the cabin went on her fare and it was up to the lady to get the cabin fare back from the woman. We called many numbers of customer service with Carnival and even corporate Miami customer service, but to no avail. Even though it was Carnival's rep's mistake not collecting the money from the woman for the full cabin fare instead of just the tips and port charges, they would not budge. The ship has sailed and they will do nothing to rectify this mistake, it is up to the passenger to collect from the lady. She does not even know the lady and has no means of getting in touch with her. So she paid for someone else to go on her cruise, bottom line. So please be careful with trusting the Carnival Reps, just because they tell you it is so, does not mean it is. Get it in writing.

If insurance is going to cover the fare for the passenger who canceled, why would there be a single supplement? Both fares have been paid...one by the passenger who is sailing and one by the insurance company. Carnival still got paid for 2 passengers in the same cabin.