OK Sushi Experts...

CruiseFairy

I don't believe they have a "sushi bar" on the older ships... when we were on the Sensation, they did have it on the buffet a few times. I would rather have eaten shoe leater, it would have tasted better. Mass sushi preparation is not for me.

Now, some of the newer ships have a sushi bar, where it is made fresh. On the Miracle, they would have it before dinner every night... it was good. I think the Valor has a full time sushi bar, looking forward to checking it out this weekend!!!

On The Glory the sushi bar served a variety of freshly prepared things. Basic rolls and nigiri, but a few things we had never seen, I think one was sea urchin? another was a form of conch we had never tried. It also gave us the chance to try things we would never have ordered. I hated the salmon skin and salmon eggs but at least I know that now LOL

We had a sushi bar on the Imagination in May and on the Fantasy a couple of weeks ago. There was a choice of three different rolls - all of them cooked. Nothing was served raw. I had something with a mushroom in it and it tasted like it was pickled. Not my favorite. But hey, at least I tried. I'll stick to the real stuff.

I totally agree with Direfun......as I love sushi and sashimi but I also agree with Pirate cause when I've been drinking all day on the lido deck, some of those rolls (for the most part) taste good a few hours before dinner when I'm starving.......lol.:eek:

I love sushi so much i want to marry it... can anyone tell me what kinds of sushi is served onboard, and yes I know there must be California Rolls, I'm talking about real sushi. Thanks in advance!

*Carnival Fantasy 01/01/06* ~ I can' wait!

Technically, the rolls are called maki. Sushi is when a piece of fish is served over the rice.

I had maki on the Jubilee last year and it was great. They made one that had scrambled egg in it and it had a great flavor.

And the usual cucumber, avocado, california. I was waiting for a spicy tuna but never saw it.

The line was always long, though.

We had it on the miracle every night before dinner (except formal nights) my 2 1/2 year old LOVES it!!!! There was no extra charge and the guy who was manning the "Bar" everynight began to know me and would make two big variety platters (10 pcs or so) to bring into the dining room - our waiter thought we were funny with the sushi especially seeing the little one eating it. He would even chit chat with me while making our platter. Line was never very long at all!

I love sushi so much i want to marry it... can anyone tell me what kinds of sushi is served onboard, and yes I know there must be California Rolls, I'm talking about real sushi. Thanks in advance!

*Carnival Fantasy 01/01/06* ~ I can' wait!

LOL - just had to laugh at your post as yesterday we went out to a Japanese restaurant with my brother yesterday for sushi and I told him I LOVE THIS PLACE and of course he and my SO both said "why dont you marry it" Such adults we are in our 40s:D

Our last ship had sushi bar and we enjoyed it nightly before dinner but found the best in the specialty restaurant. They had great wasabi which can perk you up after a long day in the sun !! We did find some type of oyster/mussel type on buffet with rolls one day...they were not that great. I do not remember it on the dining room menu at all or else I would have ordered it. No sushi bar or specialty restaurant for us on the Triumph next cruise, but HOPING beyond hope that we can get it at the Asian restaurant.....unless they put a sushi bar in while she is in drydock now??????:confused: i can only dream.....

There was sushi on both the Paradise in '03 and the Inspiration in '01. They had their own little sushi bar along on Carnival Blvd. and Inspiration Blvd. respectively.

I think that it was on the Inspiration that we were sitting along the bar area eating it and some guy came along, got his sushi and a BIG wallop of wasabi! I don't think that he really knew what he was doing...cuz we are talking a BIG scoop of it on his plate! AHHHHH - maybe he thought that it was guacamole or something...?? No one needs that much on their sushi! That was a medical emergency waiting to happen!!! :eek:

Just my two cents worth - I'm a sushi instructor. I would NEVER eat the sushi I saw on the Conquest.

1st the Maki rolls were made incorrectly - and were made in bulk earlier that day. If sushi is not made fresh in front of me, it doesn't pass my lips.

2nd - Thawed fish that was used on the Nigiri Rolls that sat out at room temperature way too long, making it subject ot bacteria growth.

sushi is not about FROZEN Fish, it's about quality fresh fish -

My point is - Ladies and Gentlemen, just be aware, - you are what you eat- - -

thanks for reading - no bashing please.

Archived