Santo recommendations please!

Hi friends,

We're off on the Pacific Dawn on the 16th of this month. YAA!!!

For the VERY first time for us, our cruise is overnighting in Santo (Luganville).

Anyone been there, any recommendations for sightseeing, eating out etc.?

We realise that it's not a cosmopolitan port, and the only time we've been there was early in the ninetys when Vanuatu celebrated 25 years of independence. All the various tribes came down from all around - it was a great spectacle. However, it was only a short day trip.

Also, as long as I'm not trying your patience - we're also going again to Port Vila, but does anyone know about a duty free other than Fung Kwai? (for cosmetics and perfume, etc). It's usually the only one we go to for supplies. :)

Thank you all in advance...

Kind regards and happy cruising,

ratacake

My husband and I stayed a week on Santo and enjoyed snorkelling at Million Dollar Point, lunch and snorkelling at Oyster Island (free little barge goes across) and swimming in the gorgeous blue holes.

We went to 15 degrees South Beach Bar which was a great spot.

I have a friend at work who a few weeks ago did the Carnival Shore excursion to a Blue Hole and said it was a rip off; so maybe if you can hire a vehicle and do your own thing that would be good. There weren't many cars on the road.

We stayed at Moyyan House by the Sea, they have a restaurant there too which was lovely and own to the public. They also sometimes have Dugongs out the front and some nice snorkelling. Very close to one of the Blue Holes - we biked there.

We were there on a cruise last May after a previous visit 2 years before and decided that we needed to visit for a bit longer.

We took my daughter for her surprise 16th birthday last month for 6 nights. I have done a trip report on TripAdvisor, you might like to read.

We used Steve from Santo Natural Tours as our driver he had a really nice van and was a nice man.

Best meals were at the Village de Santo, The Espiritu Hotel and the SinChen Chinese next door.

Fabrice from Island Fishing Santo gave us a great day out apart from the Snorkelling, Fishing and Dugong watching he gave a great overview of the islands history.

When a cruise ship visits Unity Park will come alive with markets and some cultural experiences.

If you tell me your interests I might be able to make some more suggestions.

Dear Peter and Kath, and messej01

Thank you both for your interesting and helpful replies.

We've taken note of everything you've said, and we're going to get to as many of these places as we can. We get to Santo early Wednesday morning, and don't leave till Thursday afternoon, so we'll give it our best shot!

It's wonderful that CC'ers like you guys impart you knowledge to the rest of us, and we sincerely thank you for that. :)

ratacake

PS - messaj01 - We're going on the same cruise on Celebrity next March as you guys - hope we can catch up.... and Peter and Kath - thanks for the heads-up about Unity Park.

Dear Peter and Kath, and messej01

Thank you both for your interesting and helpful replies.

We've taken note of everything you've said, and we're going to get to as many of these places as we can. We get to Santo early Wednesday morning, and don't leave till Thursday afternoon, so we'll give it our best shot!

It's wonderful that CC'ers like you guys impart you knowledge to the rest of us, and we sincerely thank you for that. :)

ratacake

PS - messaj01 - We're going on the same cruise on Celebrity next March as you guys - hope we can catch up.... and Peter and Kath - thanks for the heads-up about Unity Park.

Hi Ratacake,

Would be great to catch up in March and find out how you enjoyed Santo.

Messej01 (Julie & Rod)