Studio Staterooms - Has anyone gone solo?

I've been reading up on solo cruising. I just enjoyed my first cruise with 17 members of my family on a different cruise line. Now I want to cruise again, but I don't have a cruise buddy, so I'm happy to cruise alone. In fact, I'm looking forward to it for many reasons.

That being said, I'm just wondering if anyone has experienced the studios on NCL. They look very inviting and I'm especially happy about the fact that there's not a single supplement. How awful to have to pay double the price just because you don't have another person with you to occupy the other side of the bed. The fact that NCL has decided to do it this way is the only reason I'll be able to go back out again without having to wait more than a year to save up.

I'm an old 64. Some people are young 64's but I'm not in that great of physical shape. But as long as I have breath in me, I want to sail again because I just love the sea. I always have. And the fact that it took me 64 years to get on a ship in the first place makes me more anxious than ever to get back to it.

I do have a question though. I tried to find out what the price of one of these rooms is and I can't find it listed, unless I'm doing something wrong and that wouldn't surprise me. I just about find my way around the internet as it is. The reason I ask is because the only price I keep coming up with, at least the lowest price is one coming up at $999 for a 7-day Bahamas and Florida. This is on the actual NCL website. It also says "Solo cruisers pay less than double fare on select sailings marked with a icon_single.png." Well I don't see that little s anywhere and I tried many different dates and destinations. I'm looking on the Breakaway. Perhaps I need to try a different ship? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks if you've read through all this. And Happy Sailing.

Studio cabins are ONLY found on the newer ships: Epic, Breakaway, Getaway (maybe The Joy).

Sometimes on ships that do NOT have studios, Norwegian will run a special for an inside cabin at what would be a Studio price. What you are seeing means that on The Gem for example on some sailings, you can get a reduced price as a solo passenger. The symbol and pricing would not apply to the Breakaway.

Yes, sometimes cabin pricing gets very confusing.

Do not be afraid to sail alone. You will meet lots and lots of other people who sail solo. I have for the last 8 years and I am 70.

Enjoy.

Also make sure your setting is set to 1 person. It is automatically set for 2 people and the first time you click is says for solos only and you can't see the price. If that is the case you look at the bar on the left side of page and change it to 1 there.

Thanks for the information. I've searched far and wide tonight trying to find a cruise for myself. I think I'll have to wait and see if a deal comes up or I'll call them for more information. But I do have time. I still have some saving to do. It's discouraging that most ships sail out of Florida which for me would require an airline flight, more $$. I really have to be able to sail out of NYC in order to afford it. So anyway, something will come up sooner or later.

Thanks again. Happy Sailing.

Also make sure your setting is set to 1 person. It is automatically set for 2 people and the first time you click is says for solos only and you can't see the price. If that is the case you look at the bar on the left side of page and change it to 1 there.

Thank you. Yes, I found that out after playing with the site for a bit. That's how I found that quote about the special "s". After I posted, I did actually find some trips with that "s" but they don't dock in NYC. If it's not one thing, it's another. I'm finding very few sails with that "s" as it happens.

Hopefully you've already found some cruises you're interested in but if not here a few things of note:

1. make sure you choose how many passengers "Number of Guests" in you're looking on the NCL website.

2. Just choose the newer ships, Breakaway, Epic, Escape and Getaway, they all have studio cabins (checked and most still have studios available for Sept.)

3. If you know which months you're interested in, choose those as well, that will help narrow down you selections.

Here's a link that includes some of the cruises.

https://www.ncl.com/vacations/norwegian-breakaway-norwegian-epic-norwegian-escape-norwegian-getaway-sep-2016-oct-2016-1-guest?ships=4294959550+4294959811+4294959336+4294959434&sailmonths=4294953419+4294953404&cruise=1&cruiseTour=1&cruiseHotel=1&cruiseHotelAir=1&numberOfGuests=4294953450&pageSize=10&currentPage=1&sortBy=Featured&autoPopulate=f&from=resultPage

Thank you. Yes, I found that out after playing with the site for a bit. That's how I found that quote about the special "s". After I posted, I did actually find some trips with that "s" but they don't dock in NYC. If it's not one thing, it's another. I'm finding very few sails with that "s" as it happens.

It might easier to choose the only 2 ships that do dock in NYC, the Breakaway and the Gem. The Gem doesn't have Studio cabins but might have the "S", once in a while.

Thanks Connie. I will continue checking the Breakaway and the Gem periodically. And, I'll sign up for a newsletter as soon as I find a place to do that. Sometimes information comes to you in email. Since I've been doing all this research the past couple of days, my inbox is beginning to fill up with all kinds of cruise information from everywhere. I'm sure "Big Brother" knows all the websites I'm visiting.

That being said, I'm just wondering if anyone has experienced the studios on NCL. They look very inviting and I'm especially happy about the fact that there's not a single supplement. How awful to have to pay double the price just because you don't have another person with you to occupy the other side of the bed.

I do have a question though. I tried to find out what the price of one of these rooms is and I can't find it listed, unless I'm doing something wrong and that wouldn't surprise me. I just about find my way around the internet as it is. The reason I ask is because the only price I keep coming up with, at least the lowest price is one coming up at $999 for a 7-day Bahamas and Florida. This is on the actual NCL website. It also says "Solo cruisers pay less than double fare on select sailings marked with a icon_single.png." Well I don't see that little s anywhere and I tried many different dates and destinations. I'm looking on the Breakaway. Perhaps I need to try a different ship? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks if you've read through all this. And Happy Sailing.

The single sale does happen on the Breakaway. It is usually close to sailing date. I booked a 9 day cruise 10 days before sailing with a good rate.

I have seen solo cabins priced close or at double the price of an interior DO/PP.

It all depends upon how well the cruise is selling.

Thanks Connie. I will continue checking the Breakaway and the Gem periodically. And, I'll sign up for a newsletter as soon as I find a place to do that. Sometimes information comes to you in email. Since I've been doing all this research the past couple of days, my inbox is beginning to fill up with all kinds of cruise information from everywhere. I'm sure "Big Brother" knows all the websites I'm visiting.

I am sure you are reading other threads, however, just know that once you book your studio and are on board you will fall in love with solo cruising.

In the studios you will have a studio host and a gathering every night, usually at 6 pm there you will meet other solos and if you want you can dine together, the host will get you into the restaurant like you are a VIP :) they will also have nights where you can join together and go to the shows. (Without you having a prior reservation) just a few perks.

Also, I have notice that the standard cost will be anywhere from 999 to 1199 for busy times and around 749 to 999 during the slower periods. At least on the Getaway, Escape and Epic.

Glad you enjoyed your cruise!

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

It's great that you've found the "Big Brother" sites, they can be very helpful. Also, have you looked at a few other ports like Bayonne, Baltimore, Boston... they might worth looking at too? Hope you find something you're interested in.

Happy cruising,

PS, if you scroll down to the bottom of NCL page, there's a place there to enter your email addy.

Edited by All-ready2cruise
PS

This is a little off topic. I'm cruising in September with my sister. She prefers all inclusive land holidays so she usually doesn't like to cruise. My husband who is(68) is not well enough anymore to come with me. I'd like to go cruising in 2018 in the Caribbean for 2 weeks. I think I'd probably prefer finding a partner that enjoys cruising Is there a website that people can find others to cruise with.

I have cruised solo several times. I get comped from CAS so I don't have to pay the single supplement so I am generally in insides or oceanviews.

I can still go to all the solo gatherings (meet each night to plan).

There is nothing like having a day where you want to do exactly what you want and not have to worry about anyone else. That is one of the things I like about solo cruising. Sometimes I feel like a long afternoon nap and then stay up really late (I am almost 64) and I don't have to worry about disturbing anyone else.

I was a bit nervous the first time but you will find there are many solo cruisers out there. I am also married, my DH just does not like to cruise that much. Go for it and enjoy!