Breakaway 7/24 - 7/31

thistimeplease

I have only cruised twice but found the Breakaway to be a ship that I would definitely cruise again. We are a husband and wife in our 50's and are a moderately active couple. We came on this cruise with 6 others. We have only sailed NCL so can't compare with other cruiselines.

We had a extra large balcony room. The room was fine and we had more than enough storage space. I was nervous because I had read that the ship was very crowded so thought if it was we could relax on our balcony. Well we definitely didn't need to worry, the ship never seemed too crowded to us and we ended up not using our balcony as much as we thought we would so next time I will book a regular balcony. Our steward was good,although we never really saw him, but our room was always clean and had ice. I was very impressed with how well he did his job.

Restaurants -

The only specialty restaurant we used was Moderno. I enjoyed this very much, the salad bar is unbelievable but I don't think I would go there again. We had plenty of food and service was great but I would like to try a different restaurant next time.

We ate at Taste, Savor and the Manhattan room and enjoyed all our meals there with excellent service at each. I didn't prefer one over the other. We never waited more than 20 minutes to be seated, and that was only 1 night.

We ate 1 breakfast and 1 dinner at Garden Cafe and this was not what I enjoy. We ate here because we were going off the ship. Food was fine but this is where we ran into crowds. People (not crew) were on the rude side here and the food was only so so.

We loved the hotdog cart and the Uptown Bar and grill. This is what we ate for lunch everyday.

Shows -

Dueling pianos was our favorite and we went here 3 times. Loved, loved, love it and never had a problem getting drinks.

Rock of Ages was excellent but again not for kids.

Burn the floor, we didn't enjoy it but the dancing was very good just not our thing. If you like ballroom dancing you will love this.

Secondcity, this was ok. We went to the late show and just didn't think it was that funny. Again nothing wrong with it just not to our liking.

Pools - We stayed in the H2O area and loved it. We usually arrived about 10 am and never had a problem getting chairs. Bar service here was excellent and the waterfall was great. The other pools appeared to be extremely crowded and we never felt the need to be by them.

Ropes course and water slides - Both my husband and I did the rope course, walk the plank and zipline. It was great. It was a pretty good size and very challenging (except for the young boys who ran by us lol). I still can't believe we did it and we only waited about 15 minutes. My husband did the slides and loved them but lines were hit or miss.

We did the Restless Native catamaran in Bermuda and highly recommend this. I booked this separately from NCL. Communication with Restless was very good and the meeting spot was right next to the Breakaway. Definitely a do again.

We went to Bermuda during their "cup match". This meant it was a holiday for 2 of our 3 days so most shops were closed. We were told to stay away from Horseshoe Bay as there was a big beach party for the locals there those days. We went to Warwick Long Bay instead and found it breathtaking. The sand is pink and the water is beautiful. There are bathrooms, chair and umbrella rental and a snack cart.

Overall impression was that the ship was great and never seemed over crowded to either of us. We never waited for drinks or food and came home looking forward to next cruise.

Edited by thistimeplease

crusing on the breakaway in september. It's nice to read a positive review of someone who wasn't in haven and didn't just eat there and in specialty dining venues.

I'll be slumming it with the masses and I'm glad to see its possible to have a nice time.

Thanks for the info. I'm sailing out this Sunday and was curious about buses from Kings Wharf. When we were there last the busing was horrendous, long lines, limited routing. Now I've read the taxis are on slowdown have transportation issues to beaches?Hamilton been resolved? TIA

Thanks for the info. I'm sailing out this Sunday and was curious about buses from Kings Wharf. When we were there last the busing was horrendous, long lines, limited routing. Now I've read the taxis are on slowdown have transportation issues to beaches?Hamilton been resolved? TIA

Since it was a public holiday buses were running on a Sunday schedule. We did wait a while when we were coming back to the ship from Warwick. We tried to take the bus directly to the port but because it took so long we ended up taking a bus to Hamilton and then getting on the ferry. We took a taxi to Warwick and it cost $50 for 4 of us (we went to the Crystal Caves first). The driver was very friendly and informative. It was well worth the money. I heard the slowdown is over and we didn't wait long for a taxi at all.

crusing on the breakaway in september. It's nice to read a positive review of someone who wasn't in haven and didn't just eat there and in specialty dining venues.

I'll be slumming it with the masses and I'm glad to see its possible to have a nice time.

Amen! Thanks for reading my mind!!:)

We will be slumming it with the masses too in a couple weeks, I'll report back :)

My husband and I were on that cruise as well I loved the H2O THe bar waiter knew my name and drink by the first night lol Miami Vice all the way I cant believe its over boo hoo I cant say enough about that ship it felt like we werent moving so smooth for a huge ship.

WE ate at merderno as well but love the manhattan room we always ate by our favorite waitress and asst her name isnt coming to me right now but ill get it.

I was going to book the vibe, but i found h20 the best I will be going back on very quickly

The staff was a 10 all the way from dan dan to the end cant say enough :D:D:D

My husband and I were on that cruise as well I loved the H2O THe bar waiter knew my name and drink by the first night lol Miami Vice all the way I cant believe its over boo hoo I cant say enough about that ship it felt like we werent moving so smooth for a huge ship.

WE ate at merderno as well but love the manhattan room we always ate by our favorite waitress and asst her name isnt coming to me right now but ill get it.

I was going to book the vibe, but i found h20 the best I will be going back on very quickly

The staff was a 10 all the way from dan dan to the end cant say enough :D:D:D

Totally agree. We also considered Vibe and after the week we had I can't imagine it being any better than H2O. The waiter also knew our names and was so friendly. Can't wait to sail the Breakaway again.

Totally agree. We also considered Vibe and after the week we had I can't imagine it being any better than H2O. The waiter also knew our names and was so friendly. Can't wait to sail the Breakaway again.

I am glad to hear that Spice H2O was good because I considered doing vibe but decided to do the spa instead, but I still need some outside time. Can you tell me if there were any shady spots? And there is a water feature/shower type thing, right?

I am glad to hear that Spice H2O was good because I considered doing vibe but decided to do the spa instead, but I still need some outside time. Can you tell me if there were any shady spots? And there is a water feature/shower type thing, right?

Yes, the water fall is wonderful and we sat on the seats which kept us misted all day long. There are shady spots but they change during the day. Have a great trip, hope you enjoy it as much as we did.

Yes, the water fall is wonderful and we sat on the seats which kept us misted all day long. There are shady spots but they change during the day. Have a great trip, hope you enjoy it as much as we did.

Thanks! Loved that breakaway this winter but looking forward to enjoying her during good weather. There was plenty of room at the pool in December and I only went to spice at night for the parties :)