Splendida Drink Package question

Ti2m

Does the ALLEGRISSIMO ALL-INCLUSIVE ADULT package include -

coffee in the dining room

wine in the dining room

gelatos

Manhattan cocktail

bottled water

I am finding it confusing seeing the actual difference between the ALLEGRISSIMO PREMIUM and the ALLEGRISSIMO. Other than top shelf liquor and drinks from the our mini bar.

I would appreciate any recommendations.

Timm

Hi Timm

The premium package includes an extensive list of wines by the glass, bottled beers, glasses of champagne and some very expensive spirits, plus all cocktails on the list.

The standard package includes all of what you were asking about, although I would add that MSC don't serve coffee after dinner although I am sure your waiter would get one for you.

We usually have the standard package but had the premium on our most recent cruise - it was worth upgrading as we had the standard package free and it was a special occasion.

Tim

Does the ALLEGRISSIMO ALL-INCLUSIVE ADULT package include -

coffee in the dining room

wine in the dining room

gelatos

Manhattan cocktail

bottled water

I am finding it confusing seeing the actual difference between the ALLEGRISSIMO PREMIUM and the ALLEGRISSIMO. Other than top shelf liquor and drinks from the our mini bar.

I would appreciate any recommendations.

Timm

Coffee is not served in the MDR at lunch or dinner (except on Divina) but you can order coffee at any of the bars and in the buffet, listed on the bar menus.

A limited choice of wines is included 2 reds, 2 whites, rosè and sparkling. They're not great, but not bad, either. Personally, I opt for the premium package as the wine offerings are better quality.

Gelato is included in a cone in the piazzetta and outside the buffet. It's also on the lunch and dinner dessert menus, anyway, though not all the varieties are served there.

A wide range of cocktails are included so long as they're not made from premium brands, the bartender will make almost any cocktail you wish including Manhattan.

Bottled water is included and available in the MDR, buffet and any of the bars.

Thanks! Is there an advantage to purchasing the package now? Or should we just wait until we board in October?

Our 9 day cruise is offering -

ALLEGRISSIMO PREMIUM $477pp

ALLEGRISSIMO $279pp

I have no idea if this is standard pricing or a discounted offer.

Timm

If you purchase onboard you will have to pay 15% gratuities on top - so it's worth purchasing now.

I'm not sure what the dollar conversion is, but the standard Allegrissimo is £20GBP per day, same before and during the cruise, but as I say re the grats...

If you wait to purchase it onboard the price will be €26 pp for Allegrissimo and €44 pp for the Premium + 15% gratuity.

You state that it's a 9 day cruise. The charges are applied per night which makes yours an 8 night one - correct? The clarification is needed to work out how much per day you're being charged. If it's an 8 night cruise, you're looking at the prices coming out around $267 and $452. That's at today's rates which have been more favourable for the Euro than they had been. If the dollar strengthens, those prices will come down further. At the moment, it doesn't seem to be much of a saving to wait. At least if you prepay, you'll know exactly what you'll pay.

EDIT: I've just looked at Splendida's itinerary - it looks like a 9 night cruise so the rates you quote are even better value!

Edited by Beamafar

Thank you both for your insight. We are going to pre-purchase the Premium package. I feel it's the best deal and will be a good introduction to MSC.

I have really not found a lot of recent info on the Splendida like other ships. My Roll Call had one response and not even from a person that is on our cruise. Obviously this is due to it's European clientele. I think I am going to do one of those "ask me" threads like one5thAve did a few months back. I appreciated that.

Not sure if we will be getting the internet on MSC but we have it on our transatlantic that immediately follows.

Thanks again,

Timm

We are going to pre-purchase the Premium package. I feel it's the best deal and will be a good introduction to MSC.

I have really not found a lot of recent info on the Splendida like other ships.

The premium package is fantastic value and offers more than other cruiselines do on their basic packages at a higher charge!!! There's a "Gelataria" in La Piazzetta on deck 6 which has a specific dessert and cake menu which is included in the premium package. It's a lovely place to hang out in, too.

What sort of info are you looking for about Splendida, particularly? She's a sister ship of Divina, though she's a little smaller but, apart from some minor differences, practically identical in layout.

Edited by Beamafar

Here are some questions I have tried to find answers to.

Are there tables for 2 available in the MDR?

Is it possible to order more than one entrée in the MDR?

In Marseilles does MSC provide a shuttle to town?

Have you done the MSC ship tour to Marrakech and is it worth the 3 hour bus ride each way?

Does every cruise have theme nights and what are they?

Can you purchase a spa pass for the steam room and sauna for the entire cruise?

Timm

Hi Timm ............... I'll try to answer some of those questions. I've mentally numbered them 1-6 so you'll know which I'm answering LOL

1. There are a very limited number of 2-tops in the MDR and are often assigned to couples celebrating a very special occasion like a milestone birthday or anniversary. VERY difficult to obtain one and you'll more than likely have to queue on embarkation day to see the m'D to request one. Unless, of course, you have Anytime dining, which, in that case, you should be able to avail of one.

2. You can order any amount of anything on the menu so you could have 2 or more of everything if you so desired!

3. I think there is a shuttle at a charge - I reckon you're better off DIY. I'm sure there'll be others along to give better advice. I took a taxi once but was sharing the cost with others.

4. Yes, I did the trip to Marrakesh and, no, I personally didn't think it was worth it! I'm not great on details (which is why I don't write reviews LOL) but, here goes:

We visited a palace of sorts, lunch was in a (supposedly famous) restaurant (apparently it featured in a movie :confused:) where we were seated with about 5/6 others on the tour and food was placed in the middle of the table for us to help ourselves. It was chicken tagine with couscous. The chicken was dried out and almost inedible! Keep in mind that was all we basically had to eat for the day! We were then treated to a belly-dancing show which went on for about half and hour - yaawwn... We were brought to the famous medina where the poor monkeys and snakes have to perform and where you're almost assaulted if you don't pay for the privilege of watching an open-air show! We were allowed approx 40 minutes to wander about before meeting up again for the journey back. On the bus, there AND back, the guide practically never shut up!!! Especially on the return, when you're tired from the day out, you really could do without his umpteenth mention of his 4 wives and their travails. It was gone beyond funny 1st time round!

5. Yes, there's a theme on some nights and will vary according to itinerary. The regular ones on 7 nighters are: White Night, Italian Night (Green, White and Red ...... or is it the other way round LOL), 60's 70's & 80's Night (Disco). Then there are 2 Gala (formal) and 2 casual. The only one that it can be safely said that's subscribed to is the White Night - probably because most people have some white items in their wardrobe and also the fact that very few even know that there are themed nights before boarding such is the lack of info pre-cruise!

6. AFAIK you can, though I'm open to correction on that one as I'm not a Spa person. If you don't get a definitive answer here, be sure to check the Welcome Aboard planner in your cabin as it'll surely mention it there if it's available.

Hope that's helpful. :)

Edited by Beamafar

4. Yes, I did the trip to Marrakesh and, no, I personally didn't think it was worth it! Hope that's helpful. :)

Very helpful. The wife does NOT want to do the long bus ride. I am on the fence. This is the only time I expect to ever be in Morocco. I want to do something semi-exotic. On the Ports Board my only response to my Casablanca question was frightening. They basically said stay away and go somewhere else. Dangerous city.

Back to the drawing board.

Timm

We got a taxi last year just outside the port gates (it's a bit of a walk through an industrial port) and haggled a price for a tour of Casablanca . I think we got him down to €30 for a couple of hours, but it was worth it! He brought us to the Hassan II mosque, Rick's Cafè (which really isn't, but a bit of fun, nonetheless!), through the foreign embassies belt and around to a fabulous area by the sea lined with hotels, restaurants and shopping malls. I don't know what the name of the area is, but I would love to visit there on a land-based holiday. The atmosphere was wonderful with lots and lots of people strolling, shopping, dining, etc. The driver also brought us to a beach where the locals visit - nothing touristy, just a lovely view of the sea. We finished up with a short time in the medina before heading back to the ship. We even tipped the driver he was so informative and friendly - and so proud of his city.

I'd read very negative reviews of this port stop. I have to say I found Casablanca (outside the port area) beautiful!

Very interested in the Premium Allegrissimo package. We have the "Allegrissimo All Inclusive 24 hours" included as part of our booking but think we would be better off with the premium due to the wider range of wines as a choice of 2 whites seems very limiting to us.

Does anyone know if I can upgrade in advance of sailing or do I have to wait until onboard? I have done this on other lines in advance so we're all set by the time we board.

From reading prices quoted here, and when I look online, it would appear the difference between the 2 is around GBP 14.00.

Edited by peteukmcr

Hi Pete

Unfortunately you can't upgrade before sailing, tried in June before my July cruise. Both TA and MSC UK couldn't get it sorted.

If you speak to any of the staff selling drinks at check in they will happily do t for you, and remember you for the rest of the cruise! Or as soon as you're onboard all bar staff can help

Tim

Hi Pete

Unfortunately you can't upgrade before sailing, tried in June before my July cruise. Both TA and MSC UK couldn't get it sorted.

If you speak to any of the staff selling drinks at check in they will happily do t for you, and remember you for the rest of the cruise! Or as soon as you're onboard all bar staff can help

Tim

Thanks for the help. Can you do it for part of the cruise? Let's say after day 1 if we find the selection on the classic package won't be sufficient? What types of beverages are in the mini bar that are included in the premium?

I assume that for our Dubai sailing where I added the 'classic' package, I could cancel that and add the premium couldn't I?

Edited by peteukmcr

in the mini bar there are juices & soft drinks, absolut vodka, johnnie walker red, and beefeater gin, plus a couple of bottles of beer. They re-stocked it a couple of times a day ;)

i seem to remember a rule that it has to be done in the first 3 days, but not 100% sure on that, Pete.

The spirits, cocktails and soft drinks on the standard package are good, but the wine isn't knock yer socks off good

Tim

in the mini bar there are juices & soft drinks, absolut vodka, johnnie walker red, and beefeater gin, plus a couple of bottles of beer. They re-stocked it a couple of times a day ;)

i seem to remember a rule that it has to be done in the first 3 days, but not 100% sure on that, Pete.

The spirits, cocktails and soft drinks on the standard package are good, but the wine isn't knock yer socks off good

Tim

Thanks Tim. I think I might see how we get on for the first day and then if necessary upgrade. I like the idea of the mini bar (especially the gin :D) but then again can get by if the spirits and cocktails on the classic are good.

As for the Dubai cruise, I'll leave it as is until we've been on this Splendida sailing to see if I should cancel the "classic" and order the premium.

The spirits on the classic are all branded spirits, not "local" ones which to us is a great thing!

The gins included were Gordon's and Beefeater, can't 100% remember if Bombay Sapphire is.

There's a few different brandies and whiskies (I don't drink either but Andy does and he's generally happy with it)

There's a version of nearly every cocktail on the classic, and for these they do use cheaper spirits or spumanti rather than branded or champagne.

I think you're doing the right thing seeing if you like the wines etc then deciding

The spirits on the classic are all branded spirits, not "local" ones which to us is a great thing!

The gins included were Gordon's and Beefeater, can't 100% remember if Bombay Sapphire is.

There's a few different brandies and whiskies (I don't drink either but Andy does and he's generally happy with it)

There's a version of nearly every cocktail on the classic, and for these they do use cheaper spirits or spumanti rather than branded or champagne.

I think you're doing the right thing seeing if you like the wines etc then deciding

Thanks Tim, sounds good to me on the Gin front! Would be fantastic if Bombay was included, but not the end of the world if not. The only other need is a bourbon like Jack Daniels or Jim Beam!

Are there tables for 2 available in the MDR?

A few but they are always much sought after and difficult to be assigned one.

Is it possible to order more than one entrée in the MDR?

You can order as many items as you wish from the menu

In Marseilles does MSC provide a shuttle to town?

Yes. in April just gone it cost €15.90 valid for as many trips as you want

Have you done the MSC ship tour to Marrakech and is it worth the 3 hour bus ride each way?

Not been to Marrakeck

Does every cruise have theme nights and what are they?

All the longer cruise( 4 nights +) have themed nights, They can be

Green, red, white (Italian night)

60s, 70s, 80s

White

Costume

Masquerade

and of course there will be GALA nights

Can you purchase a spa pass for the steam room and sauna for the entire cruise?

Timm

Hope this helps

Pete

Are there tables for 2 available in the MDR? - Very few and they are generally allocated for couples in their honeymon or special wedding aniversary or for people with disabilities. There are also some 4 people tables, but those are also allocated to big families or "leftovers" from big "chartered" groups.

Is it possible to order more than one entrée in the MDR? - As many or no one at all if you want. Sometimes I make a meal only from starters and pastas or risottos and in those cases I tell the waiter what of those pasta / risotto plate will be my main and generally I receive it as a main course portion!

In Marseilles does MSC provide a shuttle to town? Yes, and due to port configuration and lack of "real" alternatives at reasonable distance from the pier, I think that other than ship shore excursions, that it perharps the best way to reach the city. Taxis are uber expensive in France and due to distance savings might not be worthy.

Have you done the MSC ship tour to Marrakech and is it worth the 3 hour bus ride each way? Can't comment on that. In Casablanca I did only the ship tour to the Hassan II Grand Mosque and city tour. Great excursion!

Does every cruise have theme nights and what are they? - Yes: 2 Gala nights and at least an Italian night. Dress code for the Gala nights is generally followed (mostly suit and tie for men, cocktail dresses for ladies) but isn't followed at all on Italian night with rare and mostly coincidental white, red or green pieces in the MDR.

Can you purchase a spa pass for the steam room and sauna for the entire cruise? - Yes, but having done my last MSC cruise some 4 years ago, I don't know the current prices!

Timm

...And just to summarise and consolidate regarding the drinks packages:

Basic ALLEGRISSIMO includes:

> All the non alcoholic beverages sold aboard, EXCEPT:

Evian or other premiium waters (You'll receive standar Italian waters with the package).

A few coffee drinks from the coffee bar menu.

Freshly squeezed juices.

Specialty drinks from the SPA bar.

> House wines by the glass: Generally 7 (2 whites, 2 reds, 2 rosé, 1 sparkling).

> All the generic alcoholic drinks and cocktails made of "House" brands except alcoholic coffee drinks.

> Up to 3 flavours on a cone or cup of gelato.

Premium ALLEGRISSIMO includes:

> All the items above stated as included on the basic plan.

> All the items above stated as excluded on the basic plan.

> All the wines in the "at glass" menu.

> Almost all the alcoholic items sold aboard except the ocasional very rare bottles or glasses of uber expensive and exclusive drinks.

> All the items sold on the gelato shop.

> All the pastries sold on the pastry shop.

> All the room service items sold aboard.

> All the items on your room mini fridge and the bottles of water on your desk table.

> At the time of my last cruise on a Musica class ship, even most food items from the sports bar except premium pizzas and signature specialty packages, but I think that was removed in the mean time.

Enjoy your cruise! And assuming you're an American... If you want American stile coffee, ask any of the bartenders for an Americano! He or she will be more than happy to provide, but if you ask just for a coffee, you'll most likely get the tiny small 40ml version of a trully strong Italian Expresso!...

Have a good cruise!!!... :)

Edited by Nunagoras