closest beach

htkodiak

What is the closest beach and the best way to get there ? Is it walking distance ?We have been a couple of times but usually just walk around old San Juan and would like to try something different. Thanks for your help.

For any beach it's probably going to be a long long walk. I think the nearest beach to OSJ is Escambron between Condado and OSJ. Close by is Condado beach. But I've heard that there's a small beach close to the Capitol Building (Playa Pena?) but it's a bit rocky (Playa Pena means Rocky Beach) and there are no facilities there as I understand.

• 4 weeks later...
I don't think so. But probably near Playa Pena.

http://www.touroldsanjuan.com/trolley-map/

Playa Peña is a small VERY secluded beach across the street and down an embankment on the north side of the Capitol building. DO NOT go there! It is very well hidden from sight and a lot of times there are homeless people roaming around and can be unsafe. Yes, people that collect sea glass like to go there and have had great luck but for and extended stay, unless you are on a large group, I would avoid this place. I do... and I am local! Besides, it's not really a beach. It's just an area between sand and the natural rock wavebreakers where seawater accumulates. It's depth depends on the tides. Your best bet would be Escambron beach which is about a 20-25 minute walk from the pier. If you reach the north face of the Capitol keep walking on the right sidewalk all the way (the left one is closed in some parts due to construction). Once you start going downhill, Escambron will be on the left across the parking lot.