QE to the Canaries

lodge172

I've done many cruises on QE, QV and P&O's Arcadia between October and March. All 3 ships handled the Bay of Biscay well. Rough weather on a few occasions - too rough to dock in the Azores or Cadiz.

Haven't been down as far as the Canaries before cutting across to the Caribbean but am doing the Canaries in early December.

Edited by cruiser1955

Hi we are thinking of a winter cruise on QE to the Canaries. Has anyone travelled at this time of year. Does she handle well on rough seas?

We were aboard QV last November to Madeira & the Canaries.

The BoB was a bit lumpy, but so what? It's a ship after all. You can't expect a mill pond in winter time. However, it wasn't that bad and we still had a great time.

For October 2017, we've booked the same trip again.

Go for it!

Stewart

How was the day time entertainment?

As usual, there was never enough hours in the day to do all the things we wanted to do!

Actually, we like an even balance between port and sea days, and this trip is perfect.

Stewart

If you're very prone to mal de mer then avoid one of the stern cabins. QE and QV both have a fairly gentle up and down motion at the rear when there is a swell but aside from that there's real no issues.

Unlike a so-called "proper" ocean liner like QM2 you'll find that QE and QV captains will go around the worst of any weather whenever possible rather than plough through it until stuff is falling off the shelves and passengers are wishing for a quick end.

I suspect we might be on the same cruise as you.

If you're very prone to mal de mer then avoid one of the stern cabins.

Hi Chunky

We actually LIKE the stern.

We've had 8165 on QV several times, and in October, we'll be in 8181 on QE.

Maybe a little more movement, but on the plus side, because they are sheltered, you can sit out more often.

Stewart

Hi Chunky

We actually LIKE the stern.

We've had 8165 on QV several times, and in October, we'll be in 8181 on QE.

Maybe a little more movement, but on the plus side, because they are sheltered, you can sit out more often.

Stewart

Yep, they really are a prime spot. Quiet, great view, the only downside is hte walk to the restaurant. We've sailed there several times, including a TA, which is why I mentioned the movement and dodging the poor weather....... :)

Hi,

I would not worry about this. I cruised aboard the Queen Elizabeth through the Bay of Biscay in early December 2012. Also, I did a transatlantic crossing on the Queen Victoria in late April / early May 2015. Motion was not a problem on either sailing.

Chuck

We have been on QV the last 2 years Nov/ Dec and it was rough funnily enough not in the Bay of Biscay, we are going on QE for Xmas to Canaries and yes it will be rough in parts but that is cruising!

Couple of suggestions if you have difficulty walking choose a cabin close to the lift. I f you get travel sick start taking whichever ones you get 24 hours before the cruise and then all through the cruise if the weather is bad. I cannot travel in the backseat of a car unless I take a pill and I can stand the rough seas if I keep up my pill and a breath of frresh air when I need it. We were on QM2 Dec/Jan now that was realy rough and have two coming up ;)