Connoisseur Cruisetour and Island Princess SB

Davistx1

Things to consider..we did the tour two years ago leaving from McKinley lodge to the ship. It was a long train ride. I have done other legs of the train trip and enjoyed them. This one not so much. If I recall, it was 6 hours. We were seated backwards. The other stinky part was that we got to board the ship just in time to grab our life vest for the muster drill.

If you have the time, do one that includes the Kenai Lodge. We were there for two nights and absolutely loved it. We took an optional scenic river float tour one afternoon. We liked the connoisseur tour as meals were included (yes it is more cost up front..but we knew what the cost was and were not worried about the price at each menu), we seemed to have better rooms at the lodges, and the tour guide took care of dinner reservations, etc.

trying to decide how many days we want in mt McKinley lodge. We know we want the 2 nights in Denali as we want to do the tundra tour and will either pay more for it if we do the explorer option or it is included in the connoisseur one.

I suggest two nights at each lodge and not just one night. With only one night, you really do not have time for a good experience as you will get there one afternoon and leave the next morning.

Thanks I showed dh the connoisseur that they are offering next year and the only train ride is anchorage to mckinley lodge or mckinley lodge to denali lodge and he said he wants the glass domed cars going to Whittier and knows it's a long train ride but he loves trains...as ir is right now only the denali explorer option offers that. Will see if it changes when we do book. We will be celebrating our 20 yr anniv so need to make sure we get a mixture of both getting what they want. : )

Thanks I showed dh the connoisseur that they are offering next year and the only train ride is anchorage to mckinley lodge or mckinley lodge to denali lodge and he said he wants the glass domed cars going to Whittier and knows it's a long train ride but he loves trains...as ir is right now only the denali explorer option offers that. Will see if it changes when we do book. We will be celebrating our 20 yr anniv so need to make sure we get a mixture of both getting what they want. : )

The train is a must for train lovers. We did the Denali Explorer tour last month from Whittier to Denali Lodge to start our tour and loved it. Also lookup up the Yukon & White Pass RR excursion to Bennett Lake (Skagway) if time permits. Both are extremely scenic rides. Happy anniversary, our trip was our 25th!

Edited by webtraveler

I'm sure you don't want to use a lot of your trip time, but I really appreciate seeing these. Would also love to hear what you choose to do and how it goes. Doesn't have to be immediately, of course.

Hi-I will try and write something after the cruise or in one of the ports with data service.