Carnival Miracle to Baja (Cabo, Mazatlan, PV) - port of call/excursion advice?

kheilmann

I'm cruising on August 13 on the Carnival Miracle to Baja Mexico, including Cabo San Lucas, Mazatlan, and Puerto Vallarta with my boyfriend and two sons (ages 11 and 16). I'm looking at the shore excursions and none of them are striking me as "not to be missed". They are also quite expensive when you consider every excursion price X 4 and I am definitely getting sticker shock as this cruise is adding up quickly.

I also speak Spanish and am comfortable getting out on our own and walking about, taking a taxi somewhere, etc. perhaps to save money.

Any advice from experienced cruisers on what shore excursions really are "not to be missed", which ports you can enjoy on your own, and which ports to skip altogether and enjoy fun on the ship (which we have paid for already)?

Las Caletas in PV is supposed to be the "Not to be missed"

In Cabo you can take a water taxi to Medano beach and hang out at one of the places to eat. A lot of people do this. You can use their chairs and umbrella's for free as long as you are eating and drinking there!

In Mazatlán there is Stone Island. Another water taxi away! Same deal as Cabo!

Two really cheap and one expensive!

The Carnival Shore excursions will give you a lot of ideas. Only a few of them are reserved for Carnival pax as they are a one-off type of excursion ie the Pirate boat in PV and the Dolphin encounter in Cabo.

What are you interested in doing? Active, museums, walking around and taking it all in? Do you want to go completely 'Gringo' or more like a 'local'

The AI/ Beach restaurants in post 2 are fine but can be expensive.

Cabo-- The Carnival excursion By Land and Sea is an excellent overview. Could Hire a Panga at the pier to take you to Land's End.

Nice, cute Museum in Cabo. Geared towards school kids but educational for everyone, it's a 30 minute museum. Signage in Spanish and English. Free but accept donation.

We like to eat at Taco Loco $, Las Guayamacas $ (excellent fresh Agua Frescas, 5 of us ate here for $40 inc drinks), Soloman's $$$ at the Pier is also very good.

PV -- Old Town is interesting and the Malecon is pretty.

Bus into town is 7.5 pesos pp.

We like to eat at La Maquina $ a little seaside hole in the wall near the Plaza (and Burro Bar) at the top of the Malecon. The restaurant named Malecon $ at the other end of the malecon (across form McDonald's) is very good. Bonus has a paleteria next door.

Lately we've been walking to the first light above Sam's Club, across from the cruise port, to the Mercado. Last time there we got huaraches (tostoda) and made to order melon agua frescas. Paid 100 pesos for Sis and I. Around the corner is a pinata candy store.

Mazatlan --

The popular thing to do is to get a pulmonia for a two hour tour. We aren't interested in the Golden Zone so we ended our tour at the Mercado. Lots of restaurants upstairs. Many of the crew will rent out a kitchen and cook for themselves.

Can also walk the Blue Line into town and back. Across the street from the Mercado is the church. It has an interesting history. There is a Raspados(sp, snowcone) stall in front. homemade syrups. Don't let the bees put you off. 10 pesos.

Lots of info on the Ports of Call - Mexican Riviera Board.

Edited by SadieN

Check out my review that I did on tripadvisor https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g150793-d153492-r251542382-El_Eden-Puerto_Vallarta.html#REVIEWS

I see Puerta Vallarta Tours is still offering this same canopy tour for the same price as well as at least two others for BOGO. My son and his wife did a horse back riding used Maria's Happy Horses. They had a great time. I don't know the price or details. mariashappyhorses@gmail.com For Cabo my DH did a para sailing tour with Baja's Water Sports. (review here)

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g152515-d3444162-r251555037-Baja_s_Watersports-Cabo_San_Lucas_Los_Cabos_Baja_California.html#REVIEWS

I'm cruising on August 13 on the Carnival Miracle to Baja Mexico, including Cabo San Lucas, Mazatlan, and Puerto Vallarta with my boyfriend and two sons (ages 11 and 16). I'm looking at the shore excursions and none of them are striking me as "not to be missed". They are also quite expensive when you consider every excursion price X 4 and I am definitely getting sticker shock as this cruise is adding up quickly.

I also speak Spanish and am comfortable getting out on our own and walking about, taking a taxi somewhere, etc. perhaps to save money.

Any advice from experienced cruisers on what shore excursions really are "not to be missed", which ports you can enjoy on your own, and which ports to skip altogether and enjoy fun on the ship (which we have paid for already)?

Check out my review that I did on tripadvisor https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g150793-d153492-r251542382-El_Eden-Puerto_Vallarta.html#REVIEWS

I see Puerta Vallarta Tours is still offering this same canopy tour for the same price as well as at least two others for BOGO. My son and his wife did a horse back riding used Maria's Happy Horses. They had a great time. I don't know the price or details. mariashappyhorses@gmail.com For Cabo my DH did a para sailing tour with Baja's Water Sports. (review here)

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g152515-d3444162-r251555037-Baja_s_Watersports-Cabo_San_Lucas_Los_Cabos_Baja_California.html#REVIEWS

familyoutdoors: (sorry - off topic!) also from Spokane, also a Coug!! Kickoff is right around the corner! :)

Following this thread as we sail the Miracle next June for a large family cruise!

My wife and I , in our 50s did the Los Veranos zipline tour. We booked that one outside the ship. My daughter and her boyfriend did the Extreme zipline tour booked through the ship. These are in PV. When my daughter told me she had to put on a hockey helmet with a mask to go down the waterslide, I was glad we chose Los Veranos. A lot of Youtube videos on both tours.

In Cabo if you're wanting to just walk around and hang out (and if you're beer people) there's a good brewery called Baja brewing in the same plaza as the mall. (Within walking distance from the dock.)

We've heard that the pirate ship tour in PV is not very fun and not worth the money. We did Rhythyms of the night (not sure if it's offered on your cruise), and because the water was so bad 75% of everyone on the little boat got seasick before dinner. So we didn't feel like that was worth the money either.

Haven't been to Mazatlan so i can't speak on that.

None of the official excursions particularly excited us either.

In PV, we walked through a whole mess of very aggressive drivers offering tours, until we found a gentleman who wasn't obnoxious, with whom we "clicked". He drove us around for three hours or so for $120 for 4 of us. Aside from a stop in a touristy jewelry store, it was an enjoyable, informative tour.

We'd been to Cabo before, and as it was raining we stayed aboard. Same for Mazatlan. If you speak Spanish, you will be able to do what you want and negotiate, which is expected.

Also: the night before we ported in PV, we received a flyer promoting a last-minute tour offering, since we'd not booked any. If I recall correctly, it offered bus transportation to a resort (perhaps a sightseeing tour as well?), but clearly stated that it did not include food or drinks. It was around $25 pp. That might be an option to consider, if it is offered.

We did Las Caletas last April, beautiful small beach for snorkeling/swimming, nice buffet lunch and drinks included, lots of choices for things to do (we got massages), just be prepared that pretty much everywhere you go involves going up inclined paths.....still an enjoyable day

We did Las Caletas last April, beautiful small beach for snorkeling/swimming, nice buffet lunch and drinks included, lots of choices for things to do (we got massages), just be prepared that pretty much everywhere you go involves going up inclined paths.....still an enjoyable day

We are doing this on our cruise in 7 days!! So excited, can't wait!