Ventura 8th - 22nd July mediterranean storm

scotty_boy90

Hi Folks

This is my first post on here as I did my first P and O cruise on board Ventura on the above dates.

There were a few issues with the cruise that I had never experienced with Royal Carribean such as many lifts out of service etc but the main thing that somewhat spolied the cruise for us was the storm on the evening we left Barcelona.

I think we experienced 78 knot winds and the experience of things flying off the tables etc was not fun and slightly frightening. I know the captain reassured us we were doing well in the storm but it didnt feel great to us.

Was anyone else on Ventura on this cruise and how has this compared to other cruises and storms you have been on? Does anyone have any video clips or footage of the storm at all either as would be good to see from a different perspective other than my cabin bathroom!

Thanks

Scott

Yes, we were also on that cruise and we have cruised 5 times previously, including once on Ventura last October. The night we left Barcelona was indeed pretty scary, we have never been hit by winds like that which made the ship kneel over. We had cabins at the front of the ship so didn't get much sleep until about 3 a.m.

My son in the next cabin had to call reception as the balcony door was making a terrible noise, someone came about 20 minutes after, marched straight through the cabin and slammed the cabin doors shut. I think he had a busy night.

Apparently one woman didn't take the reassurances from the various announcements from the Captain that all was well and as should be and that the ship was doing exactly as she should in storms, she went and sat with her life jacket on in the muster station. It was a shame that the deck party and the late evening show had to be cancelled but it couldn't obviously be helped.

Next morning after speaking to several waiters and staff they thought it was nothing!.

Apart from that the rest of the cruise sailed through like a millpond, (even in the Bay of Biscay) you didn't even know you were cruising.

You are very lucky if you don't experience some turbulence and apart from that we had a wonderful cruise.

Yes, there was a problem with some of the lifts and we felt sorry for the passengers in wheelchairs, they were just catching any lift just to get in, at one time there were 3 out of 6 of the middle lifts not working.

Edited by mandylennon

We were on that cruise and to be honest I didn't feel unsafe at all as the captain reassured us that all was as it should be. I have only cruised 5 times and that was the worst weather we have had. I wouldn't let it put you off cruising. We had a fantastic time and met some lovely people. My husband is a wheelchair user and we didn't find the lifts too bad, although we were at the front of the ship and it was usually only 1 that was out of order and to be fair there was an engineer trying to fix them on many occasions. I think it must just be Ventura that is unlucky for me as the last time I was on her we broke down just before going into the Bay of Biscay. lol Wonder what is on the agenda for next years cruise. x

We were on that cruise and to be honest I didn't feel unsafe at all as the captain reassured us that all was as it should be. I have only cruised 5 times and that was the worst weather we have had. I wouldn't let it put you off cruising. We had a fantastic time and met some lovely people. My husband is a wheelchair user and we didn't find the lifts too bad, although we were at the front of the ship and it was usually only 1 that was out of order and to be fair there was an engineer trying to fix them on many occasions. I think it must just be Ventura that is unlucky for me as the last time I was on her we broke down just before going into the Bay of Biscay. lol Wonder what is on the agenda for next years cruise. x

If you could let us all know which cruise you book ................... so we can avoid it !!!!!!

Edited by Dwalkerdave

We were on that one ! Only our 4th cruise. At least it didn't last too long ! We were watching the comedian when my bottle ( Coke ) flew off the table. I caught it, not bad for 62 a ???? Lol ..we were c deck port side mid ships and whilst it was a bit wobbly and our vase flew off the table into the bin it didn't seem like there was much movement. I prefer that to a huge swell I reckon ! Hasn't put me off at all !

Thanks for all of your replies.

I would probably cruise again but this was a rather uncomfortable evening. I can't imagine there are many ships that sail through hurricane force winds.

If we cruise again at least we have had experience of pretty scary conditions!