Shore Excursion Credit from NCL and using it

Imalismom

Called NCL agent. He said the OBC will show up on the day of the excursion (actually I think he said after take the excursion) even if you book it online.

So I believe in this thread someone said if you take an excursion but don't use up all the credit you can get it refunded to you at the end of the cruise. I am curious if this is actually true because online it states, "Shore excursion credit has no monetary value". Anyone been able to get money back at the end of the cruise because you didn't use the full $50 credit?

Called NCL agent. He said the OBC will show up on the day of the excursion (actually I think he said after take the excursion) even if you book it online.

So I believe in this thread someone said if you take an excursion but don't use up all the credit you can get it refunded to you at the end of the cruise. I am curious if this is actually true because online it states, "Shore excursion credit has no monetary value". Anyone been able to get money back at the end of the cruise because you didn't use the full $50 credit?

No, you will not get anything back is you do not use a credit. On my last cruise we had an excursion cancelled due to the weather...didn't expect anything, didn't get anything.

Another thing to note for anyone using cash instead of a credit card....you are charged for the excursion on your first day, but are not given the credit until after the excursion is taken. On our cruise my son had the UBP and the excursion credit. He figured out how much his on board charges would be, put down that amount of cash on his account. On day 1 he tried to get a drink and was denied. We went to customer service and he couldn't get anything because he owed $ because his excursions were billed, but no credit was given ......I thought that was a pretty crappy way of billing since the credit was coming. So we put down a CC for him, and at the end of the cruise he got $25 back.

also, if you take an excursion that has a cost of $35 then you only get the $35...... not the $50

Really? I didn't know that. Although you'd be hard pressed to find an excursion less than $50.

So let me clarify my earlier post (and maybe WorkingMom actually answered it but I'm misunderstanding). So let's say you go on an excursion. Now NCL has given you $50 OBC. If you only spend $25 of that credit, do you get the remaining $25 back when cruise is done or is it a use it or lose it type of deal? That last day we are in Nassau so we really only have a half a day to use up that credit.

Now that I know more of what to expect, I sort of wish we wouldn't have selected this option.

Really? I didn't know that. Although you'd be hard pressed to find an excursion less than $50.

This is true

So let me clarify my earlier post (and maybe WorkingMom actually answered it but I'm misunderstanding). So let's say you go on an excursion. Now NCL has given you $50 OBC. If you only spend $25 of that credit, do you get the remaining $25 back when cruise is done or is it a use it or lose it type of deal?

They will only give you a credit for the $25, you will not receive the difference

That last day we are in Nassau so we really only have a half a day to use up that credit.

You have to use it with an excursion offered by NCL, and I don't think they have anything less than $50?

Now that I know more of what to expect, I sort of wish we wouldn't have selected this option.

Maybe you can still change it?

If your taking the NCL excursions its worth it since they are so expensive...but I know a lot of people go out on their own and save $.

So let me clarify my earlier post (and maybe WorkingMom actually answered it but I'm misunderstanding). So let's say you go on an excursion. Now NCL has given you $50 OBC. If you only spend $25 of that credit, do you get the remaining $25 back when cruise is done or is it a use it or lose it type of deal? That last day we are in Nassau so we really only have a half a day to use up that credit.

It is true.... GSC Clamshell ($35) and transfers to Cocoa Beach ($17) are good examples of leaving money on the table...

Also, remember that it is $50 per day per cabin in Nassau. You cannot combine it into a $150 credit nor can you do a morning excursion and then an afternoon excursion expecting a total of $100 for the day.

Another tip: if you are travelling with two people in the cabin and using two different credit cards you can split the $50 into each getting $25.....

sent using Forums mobile app

On the Breakaway when we used the credit, it did not appear until after all the port days. We had three days in port in Bermuda and the credit appeared the sea day. I thought the credit for each day would appear after each excursion was taken. It didn't happen that way. When I asked at Guest Services, they said take it up with the excursion desk. That made no sense. Luckily our assistant concierge told me not to worry and how it would appear. Guest Services had no idea.

actually, Guest Services did "have an idea" and directed you correctly...... it is the Excursion Dept that submits the final report of excursions for that day or port...... they handle all cancellations, promo credit issues etc so it is up to them to process those charges / refunds. There are many factors that contribute to the time they submit it..... I've had charges over night, 3 days later, etc. It will happen.

Very similar to when you purchase a CruiseNext Certificate...... you're charged immediately for the certificate but the OBC could show up several days later.

actually, Guest Services did "have an idea" and directed you correctly...... it is the Excursion Dept that submits the final report of excursions for that day or port...... they handle all cancellations, promo credit issues etc so it is up to them to process those charges / refunds. There are many factors that contribute to the time they submit it..... I've had charges over night, 3 days later, etc. It will happen.

Very similar to when you purchase a CruiseNext Certificate...... you're charged immediately for the certificate but the OBC could show up several days later.

I contacted the Hotel Director that there would have been no issue if Guest Services knew when the credit would be coming. Guest Services is supposed to help you and not send you somewhere else. I was not the only one with this question. It was lucky we were in the Haven. Our assistant concierge was able to answer our question right away. How did he know and Guest Services didn't.

Proper training would have helped.

Maybe I have a different expectation of Guest Services..... I don't expect them to be the experts and have 100% of the answers concerning every aspect of the ship.... I expect them to point me to those people who will have the exact answer I'm looking for which I believe they did when they referred you to the Excursion Dept because it was a promo that was being offered by that dept.

Again, I will use the CruiseNext purchase as an example..... if I asked Guest Services when the OBC would be applied..... I wouldn't be upset if they sent me 25 feet to my right to ask the CruiseNext staff because it's a promo from that Dept.

• 1 year later...
Can I use the excursion credit for rentals on NCL's private island? Such as raft ect.? Does there a list of items on that item to rent? Thanks
Yes, the excursion credit is accepted on the private island...... including clamshells (which are only available to be booked either on the ship or GSC).