What a difference the right travel agent makes!

comfixit

Sailing on Pride of America Dec 17th.

Booked a Hawaii cruise for me and my wife (in a balcony) and my parents along with my little sister in an ocean view cabin.

Got the best rate at the time from my travel agent which happened to work for the Automobile club I belong to.

As of yesterday the PP rates for the balcony I purchased dropped by about $300.

I noticed that the cost of Ocean View rooms had not decreased (in fact they went up).

My hopes were that perhaps I could get my parents room upgraded to a balcony (the prices were resonably close) and get some onboard ship credits for myself.

I notified my travel agent today she called up NCL, negotiated with them for almost 2 hours. In the end I got a rate reduction of $444(coming back to my credit card) in addition to the upgrade in cabins for my parents to the balcony.

Apparently she also tried to get me a shipboard credit in addition to the rate reduction and room upgrade but NCL wouldn't budge.

I just got to say having the right travel agent made the difference. If I would have called up myself I don't think I would have managed what she did.

And what did she get for her troubles? Her commission was reduced by $40. I think I might try to make up for that with a thank you gift.

All I can say is that the right travel agent beats doing it yourself when they can do it better. I thought I was a pretty good negotiator but her performance just blew me away.

As a travel agent, I can safely say that, yes, one can be on the phone for 2 hours, especially requesting price changes. First I talk to res. agent, then his/her supervisor, then back to res. agent, back to supervisor, then to HIS/HER supervisor, until I get the answer I want. As yes, my commission suffers, but it's better to keep my clients and lose a little commission, than no client or commission at all. Sonia;)

I notified my travel agent today she called up NCL, negotiated with them for almost 2 hours.

Just wondering...how do you know she/he negotiated for almost 2 hours?:confused: /Customer service was on the phone for 2 hours?

TA`s DO NOT DEAL WITH CUSTOMER SERVICE.......that is why it is called CUSYOMER SERVICE:rolleyes:

We have our own service people that we deal with. And yes, a good TA works very hard to make less money........to give good service to our customers:cool:

I think a "thank you" gift is a wonderful idea (even if it's a gift card to Starbucks or something). People are always the first to complain about something negative. It takes a giving person to go out of their way to say thank you to someone who went out of their way for you!

I have often gone out of my way to speak to head cashiers and managers regarding great customer service by one of their representatives. They are appeciative of these compliments.

I say go for it!

TA`s DO NOT DEAL WITH CUSTOMER SERVICE.......that is why it is called CUSYOMER SERVICE:rolleyes:

We have our own service people that we deal with. And yes, a good TA works very hard to make less money........to give good service to our customers:cool:

you know we work hard for our money. I am wondering though how the TA got through and spent 2 hours on the phone, have any of you tried to get in touch with NCL or Orient in the past few days. She may have been on the phone 2 hours, but I bet much of that time was on hold. I am still trying to get through to them: well haven't tried today but did until late yesterday. The are working with a skeliton crew right now. Again, you darn well know how hard a good agent works. Seahorse as well as others on this board know we are not TAs for the glamour or the money. LOL

you know we work hard for our money. I am wondering though how the TA got through and spent 2 hours on the phone, have any of you tried to get in touch with NCL or Orient in the past few days. She may have been on the phone 2 hours, but I bet much of that time was on hold. I am still trying to get through to them: well haven't tried today but did until late yesterday. The are working with a skeliton crew right now. Again, you darn well know how hard a good agent works. Seahorse as well as others on this board know we are not TAs for the glamor or the money. LOL

Actually Nita, I work for the glamor;) All the money I make is secondary. It pays for my private jet and yacht so I don`t have to travel with my clients:rolleyes:

Actually Nita, I work for the glamor;) All the money I make is secondary. It pays for my private jet and yacht so I don`t have to travel with my clients:rolleyes:

Sure and the queen is my number one client. I have a few clients I wouldn't want to travel with, so can I borrow your yacht? NMNita

My parents are going on the PoAM with us in January. We used separate TA's because they are going with a large group and I found a better deal with my own TA.

Mom recently received the final payment info, which included an itinerary. It was not the new, updated itinerary which shows us leaving Kaui at 2 rather than 6. I called her TA who responded, "oh, well, I guess they'll find out when they get onboard" I told her she had 3 months to correct this but she didn't feel the need because "most of them are taking NCL excursions and it won't affect them."

My TA, on the other hand, notified us by e-mail and written mail within the week after NCL updated the website.

If you find a good TA- they are worth their weight in gold.:D

Those with an uncaring or lazy TA often find themselves ranting and raving on this board AFTER their cruise!

I agree Soniamc, I recently saved $700 for my clients by being vigilant with discount updates and as soon as a senior discount became available I called NCL and got the reduced rate...also losing $70 in commissions but it is worth it to retain clients for future bookings and also "word of mouth" is my survival when pitted up against the big online agencies! Marilyn;)

I agree Soniamc, I recently saved $700 for my clients by being vigilant with discount updates and as soon as a senior discount became available I called NCL and got the reduced rate...also losing $70 in commissions but it is worth it to retain clients for future bookings and also "word of mouth" is my survival when pitted up against the big online agencies! Marilyn;)
Marilyn, you have the same idea I do and I hope other agents who spend time on these boards: we do have to compete with the online companies. There have been serveral times in the past year where I have caught situations that would have been dissasters if left to a "no name, no Face" company. We do depend on our referrals and return customers; good service can't be replaced and if it costs us a little in commissions that is the way it goes. I would gladly give up a few bucks to see happy clients. NMnita

SORRY...I did not mean to insult TA's...especially you guys...I love your posts! (especially when you are "off the wall" with your posts with shoreguy).

My point was (lost in email translation)...how can a TA stay on a phone for 2 hrs., while customers are coming into their office (calling) trying to book a vacation...(lost revenue). And, if you kept CS on the phone for 2 hours...explains all of the complaints on the boards of posters on hold for long periods of time.

Thanks for clarifying:)

SORRY...I did not mean to insult TA's...especially you guys...I love your posts! (especially when you are "off the wall" with your posts with shoreguy).

My point was (lost in email translation)...how can a TA stay on a phone for 2 hrs., while customers are coming into their office (calling) trying to book a vacation...(lost revenue). And, if you kept CS on the phone for 2 hours...explains all of the complaints on the boards of posters on hold for long periods of time.

Thanks for clarifying:)

Cosmo,

Didn`t think that you were insulting:) There are multiple phone lines now;) and when I am on hold........that is when I post on CC:D Believe me, clients are not on the same lines that we are on when we are speaking to NCL.

If we were worried about lost revenue on someone that MAY book a trip as opposed to servicing an existing client.......we would go nuts!

Archived