First timer with some questions

amydresh

Just booked our families' very first cruise for Jan on Carnival Dream, 7 days out of NOLA. We are doing the Caribbean (Jamaica, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel). I have been reading a lot on here but I'm still confused about some things. There would be 5 of us, my husband, daughter 16, and two boys 13 and turning 11 while on the cruise.

For MDR do we have to dress nicely every night or just on formal night? Do my daughter and I need to wear dresses/skirts every night or are capris ok? Is my husband able to wear khaki cargo shorts with a polo shirt? Would plaid or cargo shorts with a polo shirt be okay for my boys? On formal night, are plaid shorts and a polo shirt ok for the boys or do they also need to wear khaki pants with a nice shirt? What should my husband plan on wearing for formal night? We are not real formal people and don't have anything by way of formal clothes in our wardrobes. I don't want to spend a fortune on new clothes for this cruise if we can get away with what we have.

For excursions, we have already booked through Cayman Eco Adventures for the stingray, snorkeling, starfish tour. I was planning to just get some form of transportation in Montego Bay to go to a beach, but then Cozumel I was confused. We would like to do the dolphin encounter, my kids would love that. I was debating whether or not my husband and I should pay to do it too or just pay the small fee for a companion. Would we have good enough views of our kids to see them interacting with the dolphins that way? I don't want to miss out on seeing their expressions. I have also read how expensive the pics are. I called Dolphinarius and talked to someone there. I was told that if we book our excursion directly with them, that the pictures would be cheaper than if we booked through the cruise line. I was quoted $49 for one package or $189 for family if I book through them and it would be Three HUNDRED something for the family package if I booked through the cruise line. Does anyone know if this is true?

FTTF is already sold out for our cruise. What are the chances I can still get it before our cruise? If we don't end up getting it, is it a big deal not to have it? Will our wait times for everything be significantly longer than those with it?

Thank you!

We just got off the Miracle, I imagine the dining room dress policy is the same across the board...Men wore shorts in the MDR most nights. The dress code is "Cruise Casual". For the elegant nights, my boys wore nice khakis (pressed, not cargo pants) and short sleeved button-up shirts. One of the staff told us that as long as they wore pants instead of shorts on Elegant Night, they'd be fine, but I still made them dress nicer. I wore a nice sundress topped with a lightweight sweater for those nights, and shorts the rest. Do note that my shorts are long, not Daisy Dukes...the policy says that longer shorts are okay, but no flipflops, no sleeveless shirts for men. Enforcement seems sporadic, as flipflops were everywhere but I did see them turn away a man in a tank top.

TL;DR - Most nights, shorts are fine in MDR, Elegant Night calls for pants or a dress/skirt but need not be fancy.

We just got off the Miracle, I imagine the dining room dress policy is the same across the board...Men wore shorts in the MDR most nights. The dress code is "Cruise Casual". For the elegant nights, my boys wore nice khakis (pressed, not cargo pants) and short sleeved button-up shirts. One of the staff told us that as long as they wore pants instead of shorts on Elegant Night, they'd be fine, but I still made them dress nicer. I wore a nice sundress topped with a lightweight sweater for those nights, and shorts the rest. Do note that my shorts are long, not Daisy Dukes...the policy says that longer shorts are okay, but no flipflops, no sleeveless shirts for men. Enforcement seems sporadic, as flipflops were everywhere but I did see them turn away a man in a tank top.

TL;DR - Most nights, shorts are fine in MDR, Elegant Night calls for pants or a dress/skirt but need not be fancy.

Thank you, this was very informative! I had posted this same question on the first timers section and the couple that replied said that shorts are never allowed in the MDR. I wonder if I should call Carnival and ask specifically?

On most night, we just wear casual clothes-tshirts and shorts- in the dining room. I wear FitFlops every night, included elegant. On elegant night, my husband and son wear polos or button downs and khakis. On one formal night, my son wore a suit, because he wanted to dress "fancy". My daughter and I both wore simple cotton dresses. You can dress as fancy or not on the cruise, its up to you.

Here is the dress code policy https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1093/~/what-to-wear---evenings

Main Dining Room(s)

Following is the dress code in the Main Dining Room(s) for both men and women and pertains to children as well:

Cruise Casual Dress Code

Men: sport slacks, khakis, Jeans (no cut-offs), dress shorts (long) and collared polo shirts

Women: summer dresses, casual skirts, pants, capris, dress shorts, Jeans (no cut-offs) blouses and tops

Not permitted: Cut-off Jeans, men’s sleeveless shirts, tee-shirts, gym or basketball shorts, baseball hats, flip-flops and bathing suit attire

Cruise Elegant Dress Code

Men: dress slacks, dress shirts, and we also suggest a sport coat; men may also wish to wear a suit and tie or tuxedo

Women: Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; ladies may also wish to wear an evening gown

Not permitted: Jeans, men’s sleeveless shirts, shorts, tee-shirts, sportswear, gym or basketball shorts, baseball hats, flip-flops and bathing suit attire

I will normally wear capris or a skort with a nice shirt on cruise casual evenings and a "church" dress for cruise elegant. DH goes with jeans and a polo for cruise casual and dockers and a button down for cruise elegant. We dress up for work and enjoy not having to on a cruise :)

Edited by Schoifmom

Here is the dress code policy https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1093/~/what-to-wear---evenings

Main Dining Room(s)

Following is the dress code in the Main Dining Room(s) for both men and women and pertains to children as well:

Cruise Casual Dress Code

Men: sport slacks, khakis, Jeans (no cut-offs), dress shorts (long) and collared polo shirts

Women: summer dresses, casual skirts, pants, capris, dress shorts, Jeans (no cut-offs) blouses and tops

Not permitted: Cut-off Jeans, men’s sleeveless shirts, tee-shirts, gym or basketball shorts, baseball hats, flip-flops and bathing suit attire

Cruise Elegant Dress Code

Men: dress slacks, dress shirts, and we also suggest a sport coat; men may also wish to wear a suit and tie or tuxedo

Women: Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; ladies may also wish to wear an evening gown

Not permitted: Jeans, men’s sleeveless shirts, shorts, tee-shirts, sportswear, gym or basketball shorts, baseball hats, flip-flops and bathing suit attire

I will normally wear capris or a skort with a nice shirt on cruise casual evenings and a "church" dress for cruise elegant. DH goes with jeans and a polo for cruise casual and dockers and a button down for cruise elegant. We dress up for work and enjoy not having to on a cruise :)

Thank you for this! :)

I did the same itinerary and I'm not sure FTTF is necessary ( I actually had it for the first time on this itinerary) . There are no tender ports so there would be one less benefit for you. January may not be that busy of a time that embarkation will required a long waiting period . And if you use self assist , you can get off fairly early.

I did the same itinerary and I'm not sure FTTF is necessary ( I actually had it for the first time on this itinerary) . There are no tender ports so there would be one less benefit for you. January may not be that busy of a time that embarkation will required a long waiting period . And if you use self assist , you can get off fairly early.

Grand Cayman is a tender port. We're doing that same itinerary on Dream in Jan, maybe we're on the same sailing. Jan 15? It seems to be selling well. All the suites were sold out long ago. To try for FTTF, open a browser window to the excursions and refresh it every time you thing about it. If FTTF pops up as available, but it right away.

Grand Cayman is a tender port-a short one, but still a tender.

Grand Cayman is a tender port-a short one, but still a tender.

Yes, it is a tender port, but the OP booked her Eco-Tour through arrival, so they will get her and her family on tender in planet of time to make their booking.

It's not a main reason I get FTTF, but if that is her main reason, she has nothing to worry about.

Enjoy your first cruise on "casual Carnival!"

Bring jackets for first couple of sea days just in case. Our January cruise out of Galveston in 2014 was very chilly the first two sea days but the US was experiencing a major cold front but all that I had was either a coat that I had worn there and then my summer clothes and no jacket so I was extremely uncomfortable outside. It probably won't be cold but it can be so just be prepared. I still had a wonderful time!

Grand Cayman is a tender port. We're doing that same itinerary on Dream in Jan, maybe we're on the same sailing. Jan 15? It seems to be selling well. All the suites were sold out long ago. To try for FTTF, open a browser window to the excursions and refresh it every time you thing about it. If FTTF pops up as available, but it right away.

YES, that is the one we are on! It is during my son's 11th birthday on the 18th and we are so excited to celebrate it on the ship! :)

We are going on the Dream in November and I'm also curious about some of the better excursions especially for the swimming with the Dolphins and paying a small fee for other adults if they want to go along but not necessarily swim with the Dolphins

So would these outfits that the boys are wearing be appropriate for every night but formal night? (minus the shoes of course)

IMG_3834_zpsnng3idgg.jpg

Clothes are fine.

Shoes are fine, even for CE night.

But if you're concerned and want to keep packing to a minimum, get them solid black shoes. Back in the dark ages (early '80s) all the frat boys would buy black Vans for our once a semester dances.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Just a heads up: when booking private excursions- remember ship time & island time may differ. Most tour companies know the ship's arrival time. FTTF would get you on a tender boat earlier than without.

Jamaica can be a bit scary, tour operators & vendors can be a bit pushy. Dunns River Falls or Mystic mountain are good choices for kids in Jamaica. IMO

YES, that is the one we are on! It is during my son's 11th birthday on the 18th and we are so excited to celebrate it on the ship! :)

Be sure to let Carnival know it's his birthday. You can do this when you do your on-line check in as a special occasion. If you have already done your check in then call your TA or Carnival directly.

Bon voyage!

Those outfits are fine for the dining room. My husband wore polo and shorts every nite but the elegant. He brought one pair of dress pants and a white shirt with dress shoes. We didn't want to pack a jacket and he was ok. My daughter is 18 and she wore her old homecoming dress and I found a prom one on the clearance rack for her for 20! You could even borrow a dress. I also found a black simple dress on clearance and dressed it up with some jewelry. I do like to take the pics all dressed up and they always turn out so good. I guess we are relaxed and happy. Its nice to have a family picture without a lot of effort. Most nites I wore a sundress or capris with a dressy top. It doesn't bother me what people wear, I'm just going to have a good time.

We did the dolphin and stingray excursion thru the ship in Grand Cayman. Its a lot of fun. pics were very pricy....

Have a great time.