List of Gluten free foods available

lachelli

Hey everyone

I have only sailed with NCL once in the past and when on board I found it difficult for someone to actually confirm what gluten free products were available to me

The main area that I struggled with was breakfast and snacks around the pool. Sometimes when I asked for a GF Muffin I would be brought an GF English Muffin and nobody seemed to be able to tell me if there was any GF cereal in the mornings available

So I thought it might be an idea to start a thread with people listing what the have successfully managed to get hold off an eat, be it GF Burger or hot dog buns to breakfast cereal, Has any one seen any Gluten free pastries, Doughnuts or Muffins.

This then might give others an idea of the type of Products NCL carries and help others in the knowledge of knowing what to ask for

Looking forward to hearing from others

Lachelli

We are due on board the GEM in 2 weeks. We have registered our daughter with NCL as having been diagnosed with celiac disease. They have acknowledged this and we hope things will go smoothly.

Will revisit this message thread when we get back and let you know what we found in terms of gf foods.

Jenn

We are due on board the GEM in 2 weeks. We have registered our daughter with NCL as having been diagnosed with celiac disease. They have acknowledged this and we hope things will go smoothly.

Will revisit this message thread when we get back and let you know what we found in terms of gf foods.

Jenn

Hi Jenn

Your daughter will have no problems in the main dinning rooms, particularly if she orders her meals the evening before. As I mentioned in my previous post it was just the breakfast and snack foods that I struggled with. No crew member seemed to have a list of what was available.

Hi Iachelli. My daughter is GF and we are sailing on the Dawn today. I will be sure to report on the menus/foods upon my return.

That would be great, and hopefully the more fellow coeliacs will post and we can get this turned into a sticky thread

Have a safe and wonderful cruise x

I have sailed on NCL Sky, Jade, & Gem since being diagnosed having gluten and dairy sensitivities. I always eat fresh eggs and fruit in the morning but was offered to preorder breakfast items the night before. My special dietary waiter said they could make French toast or waffles if I wished. I never ate food by the pool but did try the buffet for a snack and became sick. If sailing in a suite the butler will bring GF and DF snack options to your room.

Interested in what others have had while on board. We sail because NCL makes it easy to have GF/DF food while on board.

I have sailed on NCL Sky, Jade, & Gem since being diagnosed having gluten and dairy sensitivities. I always eat fresh eggs and fruit in the morning but was offered to preorder breakfast items the night before. My special dietary waiter said they could make French toast or waffles if I wished. I never ate food by the pool but did try the buffet for a snack and became sick. If sailing in a suite the butler will bring GF and DF snack options to your room.

Interested in what others have had while on board. We sail because NCL makes it easy to have GF/DF food while on board.

My wife avoids any buffet. It doesn't matter if the staff are careful, it only takes one careless customer to ruin your day! Cross-contamination is there to trap the unwary. :(

Hello Everyone,

My friends and I are sailing on the Gem Aug. 20th and one of my friends has Celiac also and is more sensitive than most. NCL has done an amazing job handling this. They love NCL because of how great they have handled this.

I believe you need to contact them prior to sailing so they are aware. They love the Italian Restaurant and have told us that is where they will have dinner every night. My friend is also a Vegan as well, she loves sailing on NCL and again they have taken such great care of her every time she has sailed and this will be their 5th one, if I am not mistaken.

I would give NCL a call, if they haven't reached out to you already, when we made our reservations we had the Reservation agent note it for their booking and were already contacted. Which is why I would suggest calling them to advise them of that AND they may be able to give you more information.

Hope this helps and hope you all enjoy your Vacations on NCL!!

Hi, my 12 year old son was diagnosed with celiac disease a year and a half ago. I was hesitant to plan a vacation last year but decided to bite the bullet and cruised on the breakaway out of New York. This is not a lifestyle choice for him, he received this unlucky gene from my husbands side of the family. My father in law almost died 3 years ago before he was properly diagnosed. As soon as I entered the ship I met with the food manager. My son immediately gets sick when he ingests gluten and he never got sick the week we cruised on the breakaway. He was able to order whatever he wanted whenever he wanted - granted we had to wait an extra 30 minutes sometimes. They promised us that everything would be prepared separately. Some of the items he ate were - gluten free bread, muffins, English muffins, waffles French toast, pancakes, eggs, omelets, bacon and sausages. Lunch was hamburgers with gluten free buns, gluten free pizza, French fries that were prepared in clean oil, salmon, ribs with special gluten free barbecue sauce, fried calamari which by the way was his favorite - he had it every night lol! He didn't have to order a Gluten free version of what was on the menu - he ordered whatever he wanted when he wanted - again we would sometimes have to wait 30 minutes or so extra well worth the wait. We would meet with one of the chefs at every meal. He had such a good time on vacation he cried when getting off the ship. I asked him why he was crying and he said because the food was so good and he didn't get sick! Sorry for the long winded message. A word of advice pack some gluten free snacks from home so when you get off the ship you have something safe to munch on! Also I was able to check the ingredients on the soft serve ice cream - as long as it hasn't changed it is safe.

. Some of the items he ate were - gluten free bread, muffins, English muffins, waffles French toast, pancakes, eggs, omelets, bacon and sausages. Lunch was hamburgers with gluten free buns, gluten free pizza, French fries that were prepared in clean oil, salmon, ribs with special gluten free barbecue sauce, fried calamari which by the way was his favorite - he had it every night lol! He didn't have to order a Gluten free version of what was on the menu - he ordered whatever he wanted when he wanted - again we would sometimes have to wait 30 minutes or so extra well worth the wait. We would meet with one of the chefs at every meal. He had such a good time on vacation he cried when getting off the ship. I asked him why he was crying and he said because the food was so good and he didn't get sick! Sorry for the long winded message. A word of advice pack some gluten free snacks from home so when you get off the ship you have something safe to munch on! Also I was able to check the ingredients on the soft serve ice cream - as long as it hasn't changed it is safe.

Thank you so much, this is exactly what I was after as it allows others to see that you can ask food to be made for you and not just adapted, it also shows that they carry a good range of Gluten free products such as pizza and burger buns, Muffins and breads

I think the more that we see others being successful in getting these items the easier it gets in asking for them as we are not asking the staff to chase down something for us that is not on board

Great! I am glad I was able to help. He is so looking forward to cruising again. Before this cruise, he was never on one and I think with his special dietary needs this is the way to go in the future and YES he ordered what he wanted not what was on the menu, even in the main dining rooms. We also added on the reservation he had celiac disease, we filled out paperwork faxed it over. Called a month out and two weeks out just to remind NCL. This can be a successful way to vacation if you have celiac or gluten sensitivity issues.

• 4 weeks later...
Great! I am glad I was able to help. He is so looking forward to cruising again. Before this cruise, he was never on one and I think with his special dietary needs this is the way to go in the future and YES he ordered what he wanted not what was on the menu, even in the main dining rooms. We also added on the reservation he had celiac disease, we filled out paperwork faxed it over. Called a month out and two weeks out just to remind NCL. This can be a successful way to vacation if you have celiac or gluten sensitivity issues.

I'm glad to see his post. Will be sailing on POA this month gluten, dairy and nut free. I have already notified the ship and my account is flagged. Does anyone know how this works in a suite with a butler? I am assuming they would coordinate with the restaurant manager?

Hi, my 12 year old son was diagnosed with celiac disease a year and a half ago. I was hesitant to plan a vacation last year but decided to bite the bullet and cruised on the breakaway out of New York. This is not a lifestyle choice for him, he received this unlucky gene from my husbands side of the family. My father in law almost died 3 years ago before he was properly diagnosed. As soon as I entered the ship I met with the food manager. My son immediately gets sick when he ingests gluten and he never got sick the week we cruised on the breakaway. He was able to order whatever he wanted whenever he wanted - granted we had to wait an extra 30 minutes sometimes. They promised us that everything would be prepared separately. Some of the items he ate were - gluten free bread, muffins, English muffins, waffles French toast, pancakes, eggs, omelets, bacon and sausages. Lunch was hamburgers with gluten free buns, gluten free pizza, French fries that were prepared in clean oil, salmon, ribs with special gluten free barbecue sauce, fried calamari which by the way was his favorite - he had it every night lol! He didn't have to order a Gluten free version of what was on the menu - he ordered whatever he wanted when he wanted - again we would sometimes have to wait 30 minutes or so extra well worth the wait. We would meet with one of the chefs at every meal. He had such a good time on vacation he cried when getting off the ship. I asked him why he was crying and he said because the food was so good and he didn't get sick! Sorry for the long winded message. A word of advice pack some gluten free snacks from home so when you get off the ship you have something safe to munch on! Also I was able to check the ingredients on the soft serve ice cream - as long as it hasn't changed it is safe.

Thank you for the list! I am traveling next yr with my daughter who has a severe wheat allergy, so is completely GF. This makes me much more confident and I LOVE the option!! :D:D

I'm glad to see his post. Will be sailing on POA this month gluten, dairy and nut free. I have already notified the ship and my account is flagged. Does anyone know how this works in a suite with a butler? I am assuming they would coordinate with the restaurant manager?

Our butlers always coordinated with the special diet waiter assigned to my number. They would bring clearly marked compliant snacks daily to our cabin.

In truth we found the celiac and gluten free service on the NCL Sun something of a disappointment. We will be feeding back on various points. Fortunately, my wife was not adversely affected by contamination, but her choices were very restricted. Service was rather haphazard and often she had to wait for her menu items to be delivered (or not at all in some cases) some time after everyone else's. We did speak to the senior restaurant personnel on the subject, hoping that they will sharpen up their teams. I won't say that effort wasn't made, but there is definite scope for improvement.