BARRACUDA BITE on HALF MOON CAY?

octcruise10

Where did you hear of this? Is this supposed to have been a recent attack? A Google search doesn't bring up anything like this occurring in the last few years.

Someone just posted on Fb and yes it was recent. I tried to do a search too and found nothing that is why I am asking here. Apparently they are still on the ship. I hope the person is ok. :eek::eek::eek:

Yikes! Then that is recent! I guess we'll have to wait to hear something about it. i, too, hope that the person is alright.

Here's a Youtube video I found of a barracuda "charge" at HMC in 2011.

Two years ago my best friend's husband was attacked/bitten by a barracuda while at Grand Turk in the public beach area near the ship. The medical staff onboard did a great job but he had severe damage to his foot. They allowed him to finish the cruise but when he returned he needed surgery on his toe. I believe he had 20-30 stitches done onboard. It literally grabbed his foot and pulled him under. He has a video on YouTube as well, because he was wearing a GoPro at the time.

Two years ago my best friend's husband was attacked/bitten by a barracuda while at Grand Turk in the public beach area near the ship. The medical staff onboard did a great job but he had severe damage to his foot. They allowed him to finish the cruise but when he returned he needed surgery on his toe. I believe he had 20-30 stitches done onboard. It literally grabbed his foot and pulled him under. He has a video on YouTube as well, because he was wearing a GoPro at the time.

Oh my goodness! That had to be scary. Would love to see the video, though. I'm weird like that [emoji39]

Yikes! Then that is recent! I guess we'll have to wait to hear something about it. i, too, hope that the person is alright.

Here's a Youtube video I found of a barracuda "charge" at HMC in 2011.

Oh wow! And now I'm remembering how long it was before I got back in the water after seeing the Jaws movie.

Oh wow! And now I'm remembering how long it was before I got back in the water after seeing the Jaws movie.

Weirdly fish and animals don't scare me. People do [emoji4]. I'm thinking his GoPro was silver and that's why it did that. They are attracted to shiny things. Another reason why it's good to leave your rings, earrings, necklaces, etc on the ship.

Thanks. That was pretty wild. I wonder, again, if the GoPro was silver and it was reflecting the light off of it into the water. We'll never know why exactly of course, just one thing to consider.

What surprised me was how shallow the water was where he was bitten.

Another interesting barracuda story:

http://www.undercurrent.org/blog/2011/01/04/barracuda-attack/

Something women do not think about is a bathing suit that sparkles another no no when snorkeling. I saw a women on a snorkel excursion with this and jewelry on. She had no idea they were attracted to sparkles.

What surprised me was how shallow the water was where he was bitten.

Another interesting barracuda story:

http://www.undercurrent.org/blog/2011/01/04/barracuda-attack/

I agree. As I was reading the article, I was thinking about how a lot of these excursions feed the fish and that could lead to them mistaking a finger or toe for some vittles. Then, sure enough, that's what they said. That there are a lot of excursions that do feed the fish when they shouldn't.

Was the guy who didn't get attacked throwing food in the water?

Edited by firemanbobswife

I agree. As I was reading the article, I was thinking about how a lot of these excursions feed the fish and that could lead to them mistaking a finger or toe for some vittles. Then, sure enough, that's what they said. That there are a lot of excursions that do feed the fish when they shouldn't.

Was the guy who didn't get attacked throwing food in the water?

Good point about feeding the fish to entertain the tourists. They sure aren't thinking about future consequences of doing that.

I thought it was interesting too in the article how they talked about how the dolphin pens affect the areas down current. There is a lot of that in the Caribbean with the swim with the dolphins excursions.

I enjoyed learning from this guy's expertise and experience. He sure has a lot of stories to share about barracudas.