Royal Caribbean to the rescue!

“There were a few flights Wednesday from Cozumel, where about 650 Americans were still trapped, according to the U.S. State Department. It said a Royal Caribbean cruise ship delivering supplies would carry all remaining Americans to Fort Lauderdale today.”

I know we all would like more info about Cozumel and the cruise companies seem to be doing there best to assess the situation and put a rosy face on it, but every independent story I have read is that the island, docks & park were devastated and will not be up and running for six months. Now I for one was hoping it was not that bad but it’s starting to look that way more and more.

I know for a fact that the Carnival piers are destroyed (i.e. pulverized). the marine contractor was flown down there by Carnival day before yesterday. Someone from our company spoke with the guys this morning. They reported that they cannot salvage anything. They have already started the design- build process. They said on the RCI pier was still standing, and that only a few of the top plates had popped off. They will have to be replaced, but that is a relatively straightforward process since the piles are still in place.

Archived