Restaurants in Marseille

woody14h

Last year, we did an extensive tour of Marseille. This year we want to hang out and enjoy a reasonable priced authentic bistro for a lunch etc. Any recommendations, near port or within taxi ride. Thanks.

I'm not familiar with Marseille, but as a rule of thumb anywhere in France, my suggestion would be to have a wander about, look at menus outside restaurants ( which have to be displayed by law) and choose somewhere that appeals to you. Recommendations can be tricky, as what appeals to me might not appeal to you.

Avoid anywhere that has laminated menus or menus in English as these will be targeting tourists, not locals.

Also be aware that lunch-time in France is between 12.00 and 14.00, so if you turn up later than 13.30 you might get a less than friendly reception!!

Also have a look at Tripadvisor restaurants Marseille - that might give you some ideas as to what you'd like:)

I'm not familiar with Marseille, but as a rule of thumb anywhere in France, my suggestion would be to have a wander about, look at menus outside restaurants ( which have to be displayed by law) and choose somewhere that appeals to you. Recommendations can be tricky, as what appeals to me might not appeal to you.

Avoid anywhere that has laminated menus or menus in English as these will be targeting tourists, not locals.

Also be aware that lunch-time in France is between 12.00 and 14.00, so if you turn up later than 13.30 you might get a less than friendly reception!!

Also have a look at Tripadvisor restaurants Marseille - that might give you some ideas as to what you'd like:)

Good advice. Last year we were in the old port area. Very touristy. Lunch less than stellar. I agree with you. In Paris we wandered into the 22nd Arrondissement. Le Corchon D'or. Terrific. We will definitely find something that appeals. As a rule, we do shy away from tourist traps. Which is why we are looking for specifics as experienced by actual eaters.

BTW, love your CC name. Having lived in NYC I can appreciate the correlation. Wonderful restaurant. Andre Soltner was the best.

BTW, love your CC name. Having lived in NYC I can appreciate the correlation. Wonderful restaurant. Andre Soltner was the best.

??????? sorry but I've no idea what you mean!

Lutèce is the French version of Lutetia, the Roman city which became Paris.:):)

??????? sorry but I've no idea what you mean!

Lutèce is the French version of Lutetia, the Roman city which became Paris.:):)

My bad. Lutece was a famous Michelin starred restaurant in New York City. Thanks for the clarification.

My bad. Lutece was a famous Michelin starred restaurant in New York City. Thanks for the clarification.

That's OK. Obviously its fame didn't reach France!

I expect there are restaurants over here named after US cities!!:)

Edited by Lutèce
punctuation