What difference does the captain make?

Schplinky

I swear this is not a flame but I'm just wondering why some people rave about "good" captains? On RCCL, folks raved about Captain Bang and most of the time, his accented English kept us from having any idea of what he was saying. Unless we're invited to the Captain's table, an unlikely prospect, I'm wondering what difference there is between a good captain and one who isn't? I presume they all drive/pilot/whatever the ship ably and they all make a noon announcement.

I undestand why folks like a Cruise Director (or not) since they act as your MC for the week but I still don't get the Captain thing.

I don't get it either -- I just assume that they're all great because the three X trips I've been on so far have been without problems. Even in bad weather we had decent sailing, even in the face of an emergency medical helicopter evacuation we still made our ports on time, docking operations always seemed completed with a minimum of fuss, etc.

One thing I can think of, though, is that since the Captain is the Master of the ship, his excellence is what sets the tone for everyone else. If the ship is in ship-shape and well-run, then it's not because there's a less-than-stellar guy at the top.

One thing I can think of, though, is that since the Captain is the Master of the ship, his excellence is what sets the tone for everyone else. If the ship is in ship-shape and well-run, then it's not because there's a less-than-stellar guy at the top.

That had not occurred to me. If that's true, it makes sense. For some reason, I was thinking eh was the chief marine officer on the ship but if he is in charge of the other executives, then I might get the whole good captain label.

And yes, running into piers is bad. That made me laugh!

That had not occurred to me. If that's true, it makes sense. For some reason, I was thinking eh was the chief marine officer on the ship but if he is in charge of the other executives, then I might get the whole good captain label.

And yes, running into piers is bad. That made me laugh!

I totally agree with Leela that it has more to do with setting a tone for the enitre ship as well what occurs in the rare case of an emergency. I would say setting the tone and being a good administrator also applies to the cruise director. Some think the cruise director dictates whether their cruise will be a success or not. I don't.

Bad captains run into piers and things, good captains don't. :eek:

:D

Jill ran into a pier with our sailboat...she was steering, I'm the Captain (long story)...am I a bad captain or is she a bad wife ;) ??

The captain (master) is responsible for everything that happens on the ship both good and bad.

A good captain stays on top of everything that happening on the ship, both safety related and pleasure related.

If one of his execs dont do their job. It's hid behind.

The buck stops with him.

I know I have a USCG Masters license

The captain decides whether or not you're left in Playa Del Carman because you've missed the ferry back to Cozumel ~!!! ;)

Capt. Romano on CB was excellent - he was always at the debarktion piers in the AM saying goodbye to the passengers, enjoy the island.... he would keep us VERY up to date as to what was going on in the ocean (Cubans being "rescued" ,etc) and was such a very nice person in general. Always had something wonderful to say or a funny joke of the day.

My understanding and it may be incorrect is that the Captain is more like a COO or CEO and his role is more on a business level, setting the tone for the ship those kinds of issues. Obviously in the past that wasnt the case but now they have other people who "steer" the ship and the Captain is more of the ships leader.

Gayle

The captain (master) is responsible for everything that happens on the ship both good and bad.

A good captain stays on top of everything that happening on the ship, both safety related and pleasure related.

If one of his execs dont do their job. It's hid behind.

The buck stops with him.

I know I have a USCG Masters license

I still don't get the Captain thing.

Neither do I. I also, quite frankly, don't get the CD thing, or the SOHO thing (now captain's club hostess), or any of that other personnel related stuff. In the past, these folks have had very little to do with my actual cruise experience. Even in the case of the CD, most of the functions I have seen are actually 'hosted' by another member of the activities staff, either the asst. CD or someone else.

I've seen good CDs and bad CDs, same with SOHOs. Minimal impact overall in my opinion.

"...am I a bad captain or is she a bad wife ;) ??"

Bad Captain! You failed to adequately train and supervise the helmsman.

On the other hand, you may be the captain but Jill's the Admiral. She gets to drive the boat as she wishes, and you get to be quiet about it. :D

"...am I a bad captain or is she a bad wife ;) ??"

On the other hand, you may be the captain but Jill's the Admiral. She gets to drive the boat as she wishes, and you get to be quiet about it. :D

I'm sitting here, shirt wet with antifreeze, smelling of deisel fuel and engine oil from starting the decommissioning our boat during my lunch...as hard as I've looked, Jill, is no where to be found...she must be the Admiral :eek: .

Archived