Monarch of the Seas - Comparisons, Opinions, Suggestions

Chele60

Allow me to preface this by stating that earlier this year my mother and I took a 4 night cruise to Catalina/Ensenada onboard Carnival's Paradise. While I enjoyed the ports, I was a little less than thrilled with the single day at sea, mainly because I caught a cold, I was more than a little surprised at the seeming additional cost of everything, and, to be frank, I was simply bored with the activities offered.

Some might say cruising is simply not for me, and that is probably a generally true statement for longer cruises with lots of sea days. However, when I look at RCL's 4 night cruise to Baja, there are no sea days (San Diego, Catalina, Ensenada). My S/O has never cruised before and is curious about it and I would like to take a nice, short getaway for our birthdays, which are both in May and just 3 days apart.

We are both familar with the ports, so we would have plenty of ideas of what to do when we get there. We are not really into poolside stuff, so this would be of no interest to us. We are also not into any real nightlife, though I could see him possibly taking in one or two shows. He does like good meals, especially steaks. We do not drink alcohol at all, as he is a recovering alcholic. Neither of us would be into the normal sea day activities of trivia games, karoake, and such, so again, no loss, though I know he could possibly make good use of a basketball court, if available.

When I presented the possibility of a cruise (he had said over a year ago he would be interested in cruising), he said he wasn't sure if he wanted to be stuck on an boat for a long time. (Well, I already know I don't unless there are a minimum of sea days and port days are very intensive - this just works for me.) I haven't told him yet about RCL's 4 night cruise, but I think it would fit him better than a 7 day cruise would.

When I compare pricing for May, I'm rather surprised. An outside stateroom can be had for just over $300.00pp - much less than Carnival is offering. I understand the ships used on these jaunts are older and not "top of the line" and may even be a little frayed around the edges. But I'm looking more for some time away and to celebrate birthdays than anything else. Also, when I read the RCL website, it appears to state that "some beverages are included." Can anyone elaborate? Is that just the coffee, tea, and water in the buffet area, or is it a bigger variety? And, if anyone has taken these two cruises by some odd chance, what were your feelings? Perferences? Pros and cons? Finally, if I do book this, I would do so through the RCL website directly, most likely as a Christmas present. So there is always the possiblity that one or both of us can't make it, what is the cancellation policy like? (Naturally, I'll go back and read that for myself if I can find it!)

Oh, and when I look at the deck plans, I don't think I found a card room. Is there one on the Monarch and I just missed it? We both can spend hours playing dominoes together, so that would be a good way to spend the evening hours, but we wouldn't necessarily want to do that in our room. Also, a library on board? We both love to read.

Any other comments, suggestions, or helpful hints are greatly appreciated!

We were on the Jewel of the Sea in Aug and Sept and the beverages that were included were coffee, tea, ice tea, lemonade. From the buffet orange juice , cranberry juice, V8, grapefruit juice. There may of been a few others available. Fred would take a couple of glasses of juice down to our refrigerator in the morning so we could have it later if we wanted to have a drink in our room. We will be on the Monarch of the Sea for the New Years Eve cruise so I do not know exactly what rooms they have except what I read on the website. I would be happy to let you know when we return. Happy Sailing, Joy

There is a little area off the atrium on deck 4, I believe, that is the library/card room. There are a few book shelves and a few tables and chairs. There are a few boards games there too. My dh and 10yo ds played monopoly and chess and ds and I played checkers while on board. It is not a room but just an area on the side of the stairs off the atrium. The internet area is on the opposite side of the stairs. We saw people playing cards and games in the Schooner bar too. It looked like they were having fun.

We went at the end of August and had a great time. You are in port every day and cruising away by dinner time. I personally would have liked a sea day but it was fine without it.

Michelle in SoCal

Thanks for such quick responses!

Iced tea and lemonade would be fabulous! Between that and water we would bring on ourselves, we would be set. Whatever you can find out would be greatly appreciated.

Glad to know there would be at least a quiet spot to settle in and concentrate. And that way we can still enjoy another pasttime ~ people watching!

Thank you both!

I've been on the Monarch and several other ships and it seems like the Monarch might just fit you well. With the port intensive days, you wont need to worry about boredome on the ship. However, do keep in mind that there a minimal activities on the ship during the port times, so don't expect much in terms of planned activities onboard during these times, although the regular ship's services should be available.

There is a sports deck that contains a basketball hoop and a couple of ping pong tables. As others have mentioned, there is also a library where I had fun playing some of the board games with friends.

From your post, I think this is a good way to start as a "lead in cruise" for your s/o. I've been on newer and bigger ships, and thought the Monarch was just as nice as most. I like the interior design of RCI ships, although I do wish the atrium had more light. The rooms also tend to be on the small side, which was fine for me but uncomfortable for some.

I've been on both lines for this itinerary, with the exception of sailing Ecstacy rather than Paradise. Actually, we are going on Monarch again, but only the 3 day weekend cruise and will have a sea day this time. I'm not looking forward to the sea day on this cruise, probably because the Pacific is typically cool and a bit choppy all year, especially heading northward. But, we'll be with friends and family and I'm usure will find something to do.

We very much preferred the Monarch version, mainly because of the San Diego stop. The ship (Monarch) is much nicer than the Carnival ship, although the staterooms are smaller. I know it's personal taste, but I've never been impressed with the Carnival neon and plastic.

As far as activities, you can expect pretty much the same on both lines. Monarch has Boleros Lounge and we really enjoyed it. All of Carnivals lounges were too smokey for me, so we avoided that whole area. We usually don't go to the shows on any cruise ship, so I can't really comment one way or the other on that.

I have been on the Monarch 5 times!! I just got off Celebrity Infinity 4 day and I would take the Monarch again. TRCCL has lots of activites. Card room is not really a card room. It has I think one table. The ship's room are smaller then Carnival. I figure the bigger the cabin the less I leave it. It forces you out!!!

My DW and I enjoy the Monarch. Unless your S/O is 6 foot 5 inches or taller, in which case he might feel cramped with the "not so high" ceilings.

The stops are great, starting with San Diego. Many great options for sightseeing, then on to Catalina Island, and what a fun town to explore. Ensenada, we can take or leave, but really fun to visit once!

The crew keeps the Monarch in pretty good shape. She will be in drydock during the middle of January, mostly preventative maintenance, but also a few of the public areas will recieve updates and new carpeting.

If you S/O likes meetings there is the "Friends of Bill W." daily.

We are booked for 2 more cruises on the Monarch in March. I would recommend it!!

Rick

Having never been on a 4 day cruise before, we are about to embark on the Monarch, December 5. Several people in our group of 11 are first time cruisers, and I'm not sure how to answer their question "how 'formal' are the formal nights?" TIA, Kathy

Archived