Naples - ferry to Sorrento

nigkar

We visit Naples in September, docking at 07:00 departing 18:30.

I would like to know if it's possible to visit Sorrento by ferry from Naples.

If so, how far is the ferry terminal from where the cruise ships dock,

How often do they run, and how long does it take.

Failing that, if would be to tight time wise, what could anyone recommend seeing in Naples ?

Also is there a good restaurant nearby ?

Thanks for any information.

Naples is wonderful and well worth your time. With a full day port stop you can have your cake and eat it too, so to speak.

Molo Beverello, where you get the boats to Sorrento, is adjacent to the cruise port so it could not be easier to do this on your own.

The first boat of the day to Sorrento doesn't depart until 9 AM so you can avoid the great rush of people getting off the ship as soon as possible. Frankly, there wouldn't be much point to getting to Sorrento earlier anyway as not much would be open.

The ferry to Sorrento takes 45 minutes.

Return ferries depart Sorrento at noon, 2 PM, and 4:25 PM.

I think you'll exhaust Sorrento well before that last ferry - it's mostly shopping, views, and restaurants - so I would plan to take either the noon or 2 PM ferry back and enjoy a little time in Naples. There are several sites (Castel Nuovo, Teatro San Carlo opera house, the royal apartments, the Galleria) within steps of the cruise port so it would be easy to do upon your return from Sorrento.

The Alilauro site is down right now but here's the location so you can see the ferry schedule for yourself when it's back up (they are implementing a new web site from what I've been able to see): http://www.alilauro.it/

Like Euro Cruiser said, the Ferry docks are right next to the Cruise docks. I will be in Naples in 7 weeks but I will be taking the ferry to Capri.

There are a couple of discussions in this board on Sorrento vs Capri and/or the ferries to get there. There is a lot of useful info including a link to the ferry schedules which allow you to pre-purchase your tickets.

There's pretty much only one game in town for the Naples-Sorrento route. You can see the schedule here: http://www.alilauro.it/images/stp/11_2016-08-03_golfoNapolipdf

For Capri there are lots of different operators. The easiest place to see them all in one place, on a web site that is reliably updated, is here: http://www.capri.net/en/ferry-schedule

If you decide to stay in Naples and don't want to wander too far from the ship, one of my favorite restaurants in the city is only a half mile on foot from the port. On the way there (or back) you'll pass the sites I mentioned earlier (Castel Nuovo, Teatro San Carlo, the Galleria, the royal apartments) so you could make an easy day of it.

Locada 'Ntretella is just off Via Chiaia: http://www.locandantretella.com/

Just a little potential niggle.

As others have posted, the ferries leave from alongside the main cruise berths.

But some cruise ships have to berth about a fifteen minute walk away, in the overflow berths near the car ferries. And, in our case, the first (free) shuttlebus to the main cruise port was scheduled for something like 8.30, which we reckoned was cutting it too fine to allow for finding the right ticket booth and waiting in line for tickets. So we walked.

Best to check your ship's location first thing that morning, in case you need to build in that extra time.

BTW, we did a round-robin. Ferry to Sorrento, a beer in a harbour-side bar, shuttlebus up to the town, Naples-bound train to Herculaneum (or could have been Pompeii), then that train again back to Naples.

Made it a varied day.

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

A much more attractive destination from the same ferry terminal beside the cruise ship docks in Napoli is the excursion to Capri . You arrive at Marina Grande, where you can take an excursion to the Blue Grotto. Cable car or bus up the cliff face to Capri. Then take mini bus up to Anacapri . All this easily done in a day . Do a Google search for Napoli - Capri ferry schedules.

hi, we are trying to decide whether a ferry to Sorrento is worth it.

we are in port 7am to 7pm and want to visit Sorrento and Pompeii.

option 1 is to take the train to Sorrento and then train back to Naples stopping in Pompeii.

option 2 is to take a ferry to Sorrento and then train to Pompeii and train to Naples.

ferry sounds like a better experience, we get to see amalfi coast etc ... however, I've read some awful reviews about the ferry service and how unreliable it is. Did anyone have any issues with ferries? I've read that departure docks change with no announcement, so you miss the ferry, that staff is extremely rude and unhelpful and that sometimes even with tickets bought online and printed, they tell you it's not valid ...

don't really want to ruin our only day at amalfi coast with issues like that ;((

hi, we are trying to decide whether a ferry to Sorrento is worth it.

we are in port 7am to 7pm and want to visit Sorrento and Pompeii.

option 1 is to take the train to Sorrento and then train back to Naples stopping in Pompeii.

option 2 is to take a ferry to Sorrento and then train to Pompeii and train to Naples.

ferry sounds like a better experience, we get to see amalfi coast etc ... however, I've read some awful reviews about the ferry service and how unreliable it is. Did anyone have any issues with ferries? I've read that departure docks change with no announcement, so you miss the ferry, that staff is extremely rude and unhelpful and that sometimes even with tickets bought online and printed, they tell you it's not valid ...

don't really want to ruin our only day at amalfi coast with issues like that ;((

You'll not see the Amalfi coast from that ferry. From Naples it goes across the Bay of Naples to Sorrento on the north side of the Sorrentine Peninsula - the Amalfi coast is on the south side of that peninsula, "behind" Sorrento. (and altho' it's only a few miles across the peninsula, the public bus is over-subscribed through the summer & can't be relied on).

Never had any problems with the ferry, and I'm surprised that you mention a reputation for unreliability :confused: Perhaps in the winter - bear in mind it's a hi-speed hydrofoil, unsuited to heavy seas.

I rate Option 2 the better. The ferry to Sorrento, local shuttle or elevator from harbour to town, then the Circumvesuviana train to Pompeii (station is Pompeii Scavi), then the same train line back to Pompeii.

That way round means you're not fretting about the reliability of the return ferry, and you're in Sorrento during the morning - most shops close for an afternoon siesta. But it does mean you're in Pompeii at the hottest part of the day.

Option 1 has the opposite advantages/disadvantages, so it's more a matter of opinion than a clear-cut no-brainer.

If you want to visit the Amalfi coast you really need a tour. You have the time to combine it with Pompeii or Herculaneum, or arrange for the tour to start & finish in Sorrento.

Check your RollCall for share offers.

JB :)

There are several different ferry services that operate out of Naples. I wonder if some of the 'complaints' are from people who bought a ticket online and then tried to use it for the wrong ferry service or time. The tickets ARE specific as to the timing and the company operating the ferry.

Personally I've not had any problems with the ferries; having used them several times, nor have I encountered rude agents, nor have I read here of any significant complaints.

Edited by cruisemom42

If you go on the private train between Napoli and Sorrento be alert. It is not called the Pickpocket Express for nothing . For the ruins at Pompei alight at the station named POMPEI SCAVI .

Edited by kuldalai

Personally Naples is a disappointing city. Very dirty and so much traffic. We caught the fast ferry to Ischia which is beautiful.you need to get a taxi when you arrive to get to the centre but well worth it. If you have time just ask the driver to take you on an island tour BEAUTIFUL.:)

Personally Naples is a disappointing city. Very dirty and so much traffic. We caught the fast ferry to Ischia which is beautiful.you need to get a taxi when you arrive to get to the centre but well worth it. If you have time just ask the driver to take you on an island tour BEAUTIFUL.:)

Funny how something will appeal to one person and not another. I like the big cities of Europe (most of which have plenty of traffic and nearly all have their seedy sections). I enjoy them architecturally and culturally (museums, churches, art, music) and I enjoy the food.

I have to say that I spent a day on Ischia in June and found it pretty dull. ;)

Like you say, funny, how some people like big cities and some prefer a more relaxing holiday,I guess that's why we are so different. My worst nightmare when on holiday is trying to dodge traffic and smelly bins. Maybe it's because I live in Spain and prefer romance.;)

Sorrento, Capri, Amalfi coast will be like hell on earth in September Chaotic, busy, tacky and over priced.

Much better to pop over to Procida if you think Naples isn't worth visiting.

It would be great shame if you didn't bother with Naples...

Edited by gary222

I did this almsot exact thing with my twins. I took the train to Pompeii and spent about three hours there. We beat most of the crowd by being one of the first of the ship. Then we caught a train the rest of the way to Sorrento. Once in Sorrento we walked around about an hour and found a place to eat. We enjoyed our self so much at the restaurant having limoncello and wine, plus they served us a glass of champagne just for coming in, that we didn't attempt the 3pm ferry. (It was winter so that was the last one that could get us back on time, all aboard at 5). We rushed to the 3:20 train and barley made it. (There was another 3:40 train but that would have been cutting it close.) We ended up walking back from the train station instead of the tram so we could look in the few stores and get a coffee. My kids and husband slept most of the train ride back because I gave him my drinks so one of us could be sober. I'll admit the train wasn't my favorite so I would have preferred the ferry on the way back. Near Sorrento there was some beautiful views from the train. With your extra time you should be able to enjoy the ferry experience. Have fun!