Coffee Article - Where's Princess?

cactusrose

Maybe that's because they couldn't find anything positive to put under the "Where's the Good Stuff" section they have for each cruise line! ;)

I'll admit, I have seen quite a few posts where people say the Princess coffee is terrible. But if that's the worst thing people have to complain about, I'd say we're in VERY good hands! :D

I am a BIG coffee drinker, probably a pot a day. I just got off the CB that was rated as having terrible coffee. I enjoyed it. I think if you are one of those people that drink lattes and cappucinos, you will probably think it is too strong. For a coffee drinker, it was pretty good...nice and strong!!

We were on the Island Princess recently. The coffee in the dining room was tolerable, and so was room service coffee. The best coffee on Princess is at the Patisserie..and regular coffee there is free, but most don't know about it. The Horizon Courts use Coffee Syrup! Now, who in the world would even come up with that???And why is this necessary?? I don't think it's necessary to have Starbucks (it's too strong for my taste anyway), but a decent ground coffee isn't too much to ask for. We resorted to buying a small coffee pot when we got to Kona and some wonderful Kona coffee and had our coffee in our room every morning:p .

It is hard to believe Princess is not aware of all the comments about their bad coffee. Some day maybe they will take note and do something about it. After all, you can have as much lobster, crab, steak, etc. etc. as you want. How much can having decent coffee cost??

sasha'smom

A few weeks ago, on our cruise on the Regal Princess, the coffee was actually pretty good (even at the buffet). Huge improvement since our last Princess cruise!

I don't know if this is just on the Regal, but we can hope that Princess has finally understood our "coffee complaints" and made a change fleet-wide.

Elf

Do you then use just tap water or do you bring on bottled water to make your own coffee?

We just used the tap water. Since we drink tap water in the restuarants, there's no reason not to use it in the coffee. I will always make room in our suitcase for our little coffee maker for our cruises until they remedy the problem. It just makes the start of the day that much better. You might be wondering why we didn't just keep ordering room service since the coffee wasn't too bad. Well, I happened to get a preview of our bill because I had a question, and even though room service is "free" the tip was $3 something. Add that up for a two week cruise and I thought that was ridiculous (the coffee maker was $20.00). In addition to this we were giving the waiter $2.00 for delivering it not realizing we were already tipping him.

sasha'smom

The Horizon Courts use Coffee Syrup! Now' date=' who in the world would even come up with that???And why is this necessary??

Some day maybe they will take note and do something about it. After all, you can have as much lobster, crab, steak, etc. etc. as you want. How much can having decent coffee cost??[/quote'] It’s more than likely necessary as a way to facilitate the carrying and serving of coffee on a moving vehicle. Given the systems that deliver the coffee are integrated into the ship, it’s probably not as easy as throwing out the Folgers and buying Peets to address the issue.

I would venture to bet that in the overall scheme of things, coffee complaints are relatively low in priority.

I would venture to bet that in the overall scheme of things, coffee complaints are relatively low in priority.

As you can see in our cruise history we are partial to Princess.:)

We are interested to hear at the end of the cruise, when the critique sheets are distributed, what do people feel needs improvement. By the largest margin it is the coffee that is mentioned.

We think it is the worst coffee we have ever tasted, including my years in the Army, McDonalds etc. We think it is concentrated and canned. :confused:

I am surprised that Princess (or any business that serves food) doesn't serve the best coffee possible, since it usually caps the meal, and is usually the last taste in your mouth leaving the dining room.

Does anyone know how Princess makes their coffee? It does not taste like it is brewed.

I had read on this board and elsewhere that Princess's coffee was undrinkable and I quite agree. We brought a coffee pot, water filter and good coffee with us (I did not have to fly to the port) and were very glad we had. From this point until Princess changes their coffee, we will continue to do the same, regardless of what outfit(s) I have to leave behind. :D

I have heard that they mix a coffee syrup with hot water. I tried it once and found it lukewarm (Egads!), weak, and tasteless. I admit to being a resident of the Northwest and perhaps a little bit of a coffee snob, but even airline coffee is better than Princess's. :eek:

Archived