TMobile data speeds in Italy

sunfan03

Anyone have firsthand experience of TMobile data speeds in Italy?

They guarantee 2G, but I'm wondering if Tmobile customers have seen 3G or 4G speeds while using their mobile in Italy.

We've been long-time TMobile customers and with free international texting and data, I'd rather not have to look for an alternative to cellular data.

Thanks!

Anyone have firsthand experience of TMobile data speeds in Italy?

They guarantee 2G, but I'm wondering if Tmobile customers have seen 3G or 4G speeds while using their mobile in Italy.

We've been long-time TMobile customers and with free international texting and data, I'd rather not have to look for an alternative to cellular data.

Thanks!

It works great. Sometimes Internet calling has a lag. Wait for the other person to finish and then speak. When you land in a country a welcome message pops up when you get off the plane. When out at sea or somewhere and your signal is too weak you can search for carriers and pick the one with the stronger signal. For example Cosmos Greece was usually strong and two or three bars of service on sea days. Vodophone seemed to be main choice in Italy. If one is slow then just search for a different carrier and pick that one. Make sure your phone is unlocked prior to leaving. We had 3 or 4g most everywhere in Europe. Internet a little slow at times but much faster than ships internet. If somewhere where the Internet calls are too garbled then we would just make a regular call at .20/min or text for free.

On T Mobile's simple choice plans, as you probably know, you get unlimited texts, calls at a very reasonable 20¢/minute and unlimited 2g data in 128 countries (it may have gone up to 140) certainly every European country one might reasonably visit. For this summer, sort of to sell their service, they had a special that included unlimited 3g and 4g data where such service was available and your phone had whatever lte bands the local roaming partner was using and making available. That promotion is scheduled to end 31 August 2016 when it is assumed the package will revert to 2g although the whole industry is in a state of flux and nobody really knows how things will continue to shake out. Those who have been to Europe this summer have reported they do get 4g data on many roaming partners although sometimes you might have to do a manual search for the carrier with the best data available. In Italy, my phone usually defaults to TIM.

So...at this point in time, unless you will be in Italy or indeed anywhere in Europe in the next 2 weeks, you can count on 2g data and perhaps have to buy a package for higher speeds (or perhaps not).

I know an airline pilot for a major US carrier that uses T Mobile throughout Europe on layovers and he thinks it works better overseas than in the USA! He uses map apps on the ground to get around as well as many others to enjoy the cities he's in - Milan, Zurich, Paris, Manchester, Madrid - the data works great.

There's always popping in somewhere for free wifi if your signal strength should somehow be off or, worst case scenario, buying a SIM card on an Italian network - I've done this (used 3 but there's also Vodafone) - don't need your phone to be unlocked, mine was Verizon and it worked fine. You just buy a preset amount, pop it in and go.

Anyway, don't think you'll have any issue with T Mobile; everything should be fine. Of course if you're off in a remote hillside somewhere - but even then, might be pleasantly surprised! But don't stay on your devices too much ;)

Enjoy :)

I didn't know about the deal this summer but that would make sense. Daughter was in Italy and a few other countries from June 13- end of July and Tmobile data worked great. No need for a data pass even in small towns and the country. A few garbled wifi calls but for the most part didn't use .20/min many times. Last year study abroad she sometimes had very slow internet and I purchased her a few data passes so she could have high speed. Our month visit and two week cruise last year we had data and phone that was fine. Sometimes a little slow but typically just needed to change provider choice when it got too slow. Greece was faster speeds than Italy. In comparison, daughter now in Alaska and has something ridiculous like Tmobile 100mg data allowance for the month and so basically only has internet when she can use a hotspot.

We don't leave till next month. If data speeds are similar to last year will do fine. Husband has Verizon and debating on 100/100/100 or $10/day. It's more important for him to be connected for work. We are on the NCL Jade and if I'm reading correctly on other threads, Verizon works on the ship. $10/day is much less than $24.99 ship Internet. Hopefully he won't need both. Having to be connected for work is expensive but only way for him to be gone so long.

Tmobile was a godsend last year for daughter study abroad, especially how they were in a different country every weekend.

• 1 month later...

In Italy now and Tmobile has 4G (where available) until Dec. 31 =)

LOVE T-mobile! We haven't had much trouble using data while traveling and it's so convenient.

Mostly 3G and 4G service to the spots we've been.