Monster Photo Review of NCL Breakaway Cruise 7/31 to 8/7

Smitty74

Geez... how many people do you have to offend tonight?!? :)

Enjoying the review. Tomahawk!! Looks like it would tip your car over when strapped to the side.

Is this an inside joke or am I just dense? I don't get what you mean TheDougOut.

I ordered the 32 oz Tomahawk bone in ribeye.

28861615946_43481461fd_c.jpg

Enjoying the review. Tomahawk!! Looks like it would tip your car over when strapped to the side.

Is this an inside joke or am I just dense? I don't get what you mean TheDougOut.

I was picturing...

0ff480c0e07d202eba9a263dfe7fd390.jpg

Edited by TheDougOut

Day 1 continued......

You can just see the pure joy in my daughters face. doesnt she look happy? :p I think she is practicing for when she becomes a teenager and is unhappy about everything.

28607737400_1fd8b0074b_c.jpg

I can totally relate! I get a lot of horrible pictures of my son because of being in a mood! I keep telling him if you would just SMILE, it won't take so long to get a picture!

Dinner in any restaurant normally took atleast 2 hours. This particular dinner at Cagny's took 2.5 hours. By American standards, 2 hours is WAY too long for dinner service. Even with my laid back atitude, I think dinner should be finished in 60-80 minutes.

I initially assumed I should blame this slow meal service on lazy crew members, but honestly, every crewmember I met on this ship was friendly and very helpful. they were in constant motion, and were trying their best. I think the blame falls with the system that they work in. Management has cut the wait staff down to as few staff members as they can get away with, and then worked those few workers to death. The layout of the ship probably has something to do with it as well. Just make sure you assume atleast two hours for dinner no matter where you go.

I totally agree with you. I don't want dinner to take 2 hours. I don't want to spend HOURS a day eating while I'm on vacation. That's made us go to the buffet more to avoid the 2 hour dinners. Maybe that's their intention. I don't know. I have learned to tell them you have a show at such and such time and you get much quicker service.

for our morning tour, we book a private Taxi tour with a tour guide that was highly recommended on Cruise critics Bermuda message board. His name is Dennis Hollis ( dwhollis@logic.bm ), and we had a very nice tour with him. the tour rates are set by the goverment, and since we were 4 or less people, it was $50 per hour. We told him we wanted to see everything, so we toured for 5 hours. He would suggest things to see, and then we would say yes or no. He was very accommodating, and we definitely got our moneys worth.

28277076184_ac0808c309_c.jpg

28277075264_4a1afc2f2e_c.jpg

I am SOOO excited because I booked that guy too. We've only talked through email so far but he's very accommodating about everything we want to see!

Thanks for a wonderful review. We are sailing 10/17 and are hoping it won't be as crowded! Very interesting reading.

do you mean 10/16..

i choose that week after very much research regarding jersey week and other holidays including religious ones. i believe i've avoided any holidays except possibly any charters of groups which i was not aware i had to research as i was a newbie 6 months ago

i check haven rooms everyday for pricing and there are only 8 higher priced ones left. no clue if this means the rest of the ship is booked though.

i'm also assuming since these are the cheapest prices of the year that it's a slower time

When is the best time to go and see the dunking? and where is the best place to view it from?

The wench dunking are done Monday > Thursday and Saturday at noon. The best time to go would be on the 9:30AM ferry, Dockyard > St George; ride is about 45 minutes. Tour St George until noon.

The bus to SG takes more time (50 minutes) but runs more frequent.

A taxi from Hamilton would be more expensive, but would go when you wanted to go.

I would say on the bridge to Ordnance Island would be the best viewing location.

SBtS

I totally agree with you. I don't want dinner to take 2 hours. I don't want to spend HOURS a day eating while I'm on vacation. That's made us go to the buffet more to avoid the 2 hour dinners. Maybe that's their intention. I don't know. I have learned to tell them you have a show at such and such time and you get much quicker service.

2 plus hours is a normal time for a fine dining dinner on land. I have my first NCL cruise coming up but with Celebrity the average time for the main dining room was right around 2 hours. For specialty restaurants it could go a tad longer.

Edited by paulajj

Good News Everybody, I mentioned to my wife that I was upset I didn't take pictures of the dailies. She then casually replied. "I got a copy of all of them in my bag". :) I love my wife....

I will get them scanned and add them to the end of the review

Loving your review but please give your wife a big kiss from me! I was so hoping to see the dailies from your trip! I'm so thankful she got them!

The wench dunking are done Monday > Thursday and Saturday at noon. The best time to go would be on the 9:30AM ferry, Dockyard > St George; ride is about 45 minutes. Tour St George until noon.

The bus to SG takes more time (50 minutes) but runs more frequent.

A taxi from Hamilton would be more expensive, but would go when you wanted to go.

I would say on the bridge to Ordnance Island would be the best viewing location.

SBtS

Thanks, I actually have a taxi tour that day and want to make sure we get to see that, and have a good spot for my 10 yr old nephew!

When does this parade (for Harbour Nights) start? Can you see if from everywhere or do you have to be on a certain street?

Was passing by when I saw your question. The parade is part of Harbour Nights festival. It runs on Wednesday nights to the end of August. You see it by taking the Dockyard > Hamilton ferry. When you exit the ferry terminal onto Front St, that is where it is held. The festival runs from 7PM to 10PM. Make sure you know when the last ferry departs Hamilton for the Dockyard.

SBtS

sorry for the slow finishing of this review. I have had some family medical issues. I will try to get it finished in the next day or two.

LOVE LOVE LOVE your review!! Great pics...

Ill be there in 2 weeks w/ our 7 year old son.

Thanks so much for info on the beach and the splash academy!

Awesome review so far. I have sailed on Breakaway 4 times already, with #5 scheduled for 10/9. Bermuda is my ABSOLUTE favorite port so far.

I have to COMPLETELY agree with you about the Atrium. The amount of activities they schedule in that small space boggles my mind. They should have thought of that during planning for the ship. I think of the Atrium and it causes me anxiety & stress! LOL I really wish they were able to use other venues for at least *some* of the activities.

Can't wait to read more...it's getting me excited for my cruise in 7 weeks!

Edited by ilovewdw