Hop on Hop off in New York

sandcar1

Going to be in New York 9/23 there are 5 of us we would like to take the hop on hop off bus tour in new york . but there are several different ones i found a groupon deal for 4 on open loop for $119 . has anyone been on there tour?

are they any good our would you recommend some one else ?

would like to take the hop on hop off bus tour in new york . but there are several different ones i found a groupon deal for 4 on open loop for $119 . has anyone been on there tour?

Like you said "But there are several different ones".

You would have to disclose which one the groupon is for I would think.

We did this last summer and it honestly didn't work for us but it might for you. We had to go an office to get our tickets (a voucher was only issued by Groupon) but we did know this in advance as it was printed in the instructions. From there it was about a 4 block walk to get the bus, but we did pass a bakery that is part of a TV show so we had a nice stop there.

Once onboard the bus we were able to sit upstairs in the front seats and had a great view of the route we took north to Central Park. The bus was clean and the employees were professional - no issues at all. As we remember, we could have returned later at night for another route at no additional cost.

Now, this has nothing to do with the Open Loop company and would be the same for any open top tour bus, but the traffic was so bad we were just creeping along and after awhile it became frustrating to us to be going so slow and not seeing much that was new. Since we only had 1 full day in NYC, we felt taking the bus was a waste of time for us, we should have taken taxi's to our destinations or just walked there - the cost wouldn't have been that much more since there were 4 of us. If you have more time to spare, then the Open Loop company might work for you.

We did a bus tour once and I don't think it is the best way to see NY. Im not sure if you are all into walking, but Manhattan is very walkable and even the subway works very well. I think you could save a lot of money doing it this way. This of course is just my feeling having done both.

Going to be in New York 9/23 there are 5 of us we would like to take the hop on hop off bus tour in new york . but there are several different ones i found a groupon deal for 4 on open loop for $119 . has anyone been on there tour?

are they any good our would you recommend some one else ?

I have lived almost all of my life in NYC (Brooklyn & Queens) with regular visits into Manhattan so I'm pretty qualified to help you here ;)

Trying to do the HoHo in NYC would be quite a challenge - NYC traffic is notorious; our buses (transportation buses, not HoHo buses) have dedicated bus lanes in Manhattan, but only SOME routes, and even that doesn't usually help. The city is big and the best comparison I could make, which doesn't really even make for a fair comparison would be London - I did that HoHo in Central London (London has boroughs too) which took 3 hours for the longer route - and it's maybe equivalent to doing just ONE of the routes on the Open Loop tours....MAYBE :eek: if traffic is OK. Only other city I've done a HoHo in was Berlin in the year 2000; East Berlin was still a total construction zone, cranes and barricades everywhere...unrecognizable from what it is today. I made the decision to do a HoHo - it was the only thing TO DO at the time. Worked out well.

When might traffic be OK? Not during a work week - but - a work week might be better in the summer, more people are on vacation; summer weekends are even better - most locals are at their summer houses for the weekend BUT there are a lot of street fairs or things going on plus we have more pedestrian areas now - walkable places that used to be streets (more coming!) including an area in Times Square...it's nice. Actually though, one places about two or three blocks south, they actually put down green astro turf underneath the tables and chairs - that's just weird.

Anyway - I get that you'd like to see some of NYC seated. I think I can come up with easy options for you to do this with two cross town (east/west) subways - the L & 42nd St Shuttle which would make it possible for you to take a ride on 5th Avenue or Broadway Southbound and posh Madison Avenue Northbound, for a sort of short "grid like" tour of Midtown. It would only require Metrocards.

Otherwise, if mobility isn't much of a problem, using a subway to change locations - midtown/downtown/etc - the city is quite walkable and we are pretty friendly, willing to help with a direction, location - i.e. this way is east/west uptown/downtown. Even locals get it mixed up sometime! Just don't try to walk from Midtown to the Village...that's not so easy...not for a day trip. Ubers and taxis are around, but again, traffic.

In so many ways, it's the MOST amazing city in the world - one must just adapt "usual" expectations for cities in order to make the most of it - do that, and you will absolutely love it :D (Maybe the best advice - don't try to see too much - just have fun, do something NYC-ish)

Any other questions, concerns - I'll try to help :)

The Ho-Ho's are pushed on street corners in all tourist areas. Times Square you can't walk two feet without seeing one.

in 2014 they were even settled numerous class actions in the amount of $19 Million for price fixing (Back then Grey Line and CitySights which Grey Line now owns).

Today Grey Line and Big Bus are the biggest and their fares are much higher but within the area of $60 a person assuming BYGO of Groupon.

But you need to know what you are buying Big Bus deluxe two day is $65 for an adult which is 48 hour HoHo all Manhattan loops, one each of Brooklyn & Night and one 1 hour river cruise.

So what does you $30 per person get?

As a Native New Yorker and Brooklyn resident you can't beat the subway and walking. Broadway Line or "R" stops at most midtown to downtown tourist areas from South Ferry (Whitehall) to Central Park (5th Ave). All four can travel on one Metrocard with money for the fares on it.

HoHo -- Buyer beware IMHO (Only did it once with visiting relatives for one trip).

Thank you everyone for the help Were having everyone over tonight to discuss what they what to do in each port.i will pass on what everyone has said and let them make a decision. (I'm confused) i'll go with the flow.

I have lived almost all of my life in NYC (Brooklyn & Queens) with regular visits into Manhattan so I'm pretty qualified to help you here ;)

In so many ways, it's the MOST amazing city in the world - one must just adapt "usual" expectations for cities in order to make the most of it - do that, and you will absolutely love it :D (Maybe the best advice - don't try to see too much - just have fun, do something NYC-ish)

Any other questions, concerns - I'll try to help :)

Hi there. My sister and I will be in NYC for three days this September. She has been before. I have not and am excited to finally get the chance to see some of this amazing city. Central Park is definitely on my list (do you recommend biking or simply walking), as is watching your Yankees play our only Canadian baseball team, the Blue Jays. I want to see everything, which of course simply isn't possible in three days. You mention, doing something "NYC -ish". What in your opinion would be the one or two absolute must sees, first time around in NYC? Also, have you ever been on The High Line path? What are the best yet cheaper places to eat? Thanks for any info.

You mention, doing something "NYC -ish". What in your opinion would be the one or two absolute must sees, first time around in NYC? Also, have you ever been on The High Line path? What are the best yet cheaper places to eat? Thanks for any info.

I love the High Line, I've even gone out of my way to walk it when I had to go downtown 15 blocks. Just note in the summer it is very very crowded and then the winter it is deserted but still great to walk.

Central Park? It is huge (59th Street to 110th Street), what do you want to see? Strawberry Fields? Sheep Meadow? Central Park Zoo (Children's Zoo is great even without kids), The Carousel? The Great Lawn?

http://www.centralparknyc.org/ and take a look and plan.

New Yawkerish? Ride the Subway, Bronx Cheer (Boo) the Blue Jays (Yankee Fan) or Buy a Dirty Water Dog!! Which would also cover cheep eats.

dwg2_zpsvypq2lue.jpg

Must see is more personal. Some it is the WTC Memorial other it is the Empire State Building or one of the big museums (Natural History, MOMA, The Met) or the 9 Museums on Museum Mile, take in a show TKTS half price (most plus $5 service fee), walk one of the east river bridges, eat Juniors cheesecake. What are you interested in?

Edited by Brighton Line

I love the High Line, I've even gone out of my way to walk it when I had to go downtown 15 blocks. Just note in the summer it is very very crowded and then the winter it is deserted but still great to walk.

Central Park? It is huge (59th Street to 110th Street), what do you want to see? Strawberry Fields? Sheep Meadow? Central Park Zoo (Children's Zoo is great even without kids), The Carousel? The Great Lawn?

http://www.centralparknyc.org/ and take a look and plan.

New Yawkerish? Ride the Subway, Bronx Cheer (Boo) the Blue Jays (Yankee Fan) or Buy a Dirty Water Dog!! Which would also cover cheep eats.

dwg2_zpsvypq2lue.jpg

Must see is more personal. Some it is the WTC Memorial other it is the Empire State Building or one of the big museums (Natural History, MOMA, The Met) or the 9 Museums on Museum Mile, take in a show TKTS half price (most plus $5 service fee), walk one of the east river bridges, eat Juniors cheesecake. What are you interested in?

Hope its a sportsman friendly Boo. :) Thanks for the ideas...the Dirty water dog has me intrigued. I want to see all of NYC but that isn't possible in three short days. I am a nature lover, so the High Line and Central Park or any other parks are huge draws for me. I will certainly be checking out the link you provided.

Hi there. My sister and I will be in NYC for three days this September. She has been before. I have not and am excited to finally get the chance to see some of this amazing city. Central Park is definitely on my list (do you recommend biking or simply walking), as is watching your Yankees play our only Canadian baseball team, the Blue Jays. I want to see everything, which of course simply isn't possible in three days. You mention, doing something "NYC -ish". What in your opinion would be the one or two absolute must sees, first time around in NYC? Also, have you ever been on The High Line path? What are the best yet cheaper places to eat? Thanks for any info.

Hi Linda,

Glad you are making your first trip to NYC - you will love it :)

Don't ever worry about seeing everything - whenever any of us try to do that, we end up seeing nothing and just get tired. If we make a few plans, then just pay attention along the way plus even allow ourselves to wander a tiny bit, then we do OK....even get great surprised. If that can happen anywhere, it can happen in NYC - it really does.

Although I once worked in the World Trade Center - it was the original one, Tower 1 (the one with the antenna) on the 101st floor. I have not yet been up to the top of the new one, I am not ready for it yet...however, it was ALWAYS spectacular up there BUT, believe it or not, I think it is even MORE spectacular for a visitor to be up top the Empire State Building because.....it is on 34th Street and 5th Avenue and so you get kind of the best view of EVERYTHING....the East and Hudson Rivers, Brooklyn, New Jersey, Downtown, (including WTC) Uptown, (including Central Park) and right near by is the gorgeous top of the Chrysler Building....if you are looking uptown, it'll be just to your right, but close and shiny silver spire.

As for Central Park *and* a NYC-ish thing to do, how about getting sandwiches and having a lunch on the Great Lawn? Or on benches...so many of them have names/stories (here's an article in the NY Times to give you background on them http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/19/nyregion/4223-central-park-benches-with-stories-to-tell.html?_r=0)

and so you recharge your batteries, eat and then resume! Entrances to the park are marked on all the maps and near most subway stops - and I agree - taking the subway is very NYC-ish, easy to do (just buy metro cards at the vending machine!) and helps you get around, see more and yes, quite safe!!

Go to the Main Branch of the NY Public Library - it's glorious - on 5th Avenue, maybe head in there from the Park, you'll recognize the lions guarding the steps/entrance into this historic building that you can walk around in just to see; it also has one of the better gift shops, in my opinion, as opposed to all the rubbish for sale in the usual shops one sees in busier areas. If you DO come down 5th Avenue from the Park you'd pass Rockefeller Center, St Patrick's Cathedral & Saks Fifth Avenue department store....even we really never get tired of these places and they are worth seeing, without a doubt in NYC. They are ALL at 50th Street...well St Pat's is at 51st. For Saks, just go in and have a walk around the main floor - it's always stunning and just smells fab....Rockefeller Center is where the tree goes at Christmastime and the ice skating rink, etc. Again, just iconic.

I'm assuming you'll see Times Square at night - it's lit up all day too but at night, it's just breathtaking, yes, even to me. You could read a book (almost) by the amount of light. Just watch out for the fresh (some of them) life sized muppet people soliciting tips for photos; kind of odd but they've been cracking down on this - gives darling Elmo a bad name ;) People will try anything to make money. Just keep walking by...you know the drill.

Head down to the Village! Take the Orange line train on 6th Avenue, B,D or F to West 4th street, get out and you'll see a basketball court that's been in a zillion films - there's always people playing a pickup game. Then using an app map or whichever kind, head towards Bleecker and NYC and Washington Square (NYU, parts of it are around there) plus cool boutiques and restaurants and the famous Café Wha. Then if you want you can head up to St Mark's Place (kind of near 8th Street) and over to LES (Lower East Side) or, head down Broadway towards SoHo stands for South of Houston (street). There were great small music venues in/around Bleecker - keep your eyes peeled to see if anything is going on that you might want to get tickets for while you're there, maybe a jazz show or something, who knows.

Broadway also has cool shops, then head west down Prince Street and usually some artists have stuff for sale along the sidewalk, you can walk along Mercer or Greene or Sullivan Streets or keep going down Prince to West Broadway....

I love, love, love walking on the Brooklyn Bridge - but it's not always so easy to get around down in the area near the Bridge - I mean, it's not difficult but again, don't try to DO everything! If you find you are downtown near the South Street Seaport hanging out, then yes, do the Bridge. If you do the High Line - then probably you don't need to do the Bridge.

Another great NYC-ish thing to do, but often I tell this to visitors, is to take a round trip ride on the Staten Island Ferry - it only costs the ride of a subway and you'll get a ride past the Statue of Liberty, see Ellis Island and Governors Island and the Southern tip of Manhattan with an opportunity for some amazing photos. Not sure if you are sailing from Brooklyn or Manhattan or Bayonne...so your ship may or may not give you views like this but at a different perspective so this is great plus, it's something NYC'ers do and also, another iconic image from countless TV/movie images.

Maybe check out Grand Central Terminal - it's quite an amazing place - has been completely restored, is a major transit hub for folks commuting to northern NY and Connecticut, has great shops and places to eat - maybe grab lunch or breakfast there and people watch? Also, it is the location of the famous "information booth" seen in yet more TV/movie scenes. It's a great place for photos too, sometimes there are even exhibits there now - and an amazing little chocolate shop called Neuhaus but that's not anything particular to NYC - it's just great chocolate ;)

TKTS is definitely an option - and NYC folks, we definitely use that for saving money on shows too - who doesn't love a discount?

Amazing museums: The Metropolitan has opened an extension called the Breuer in the old Whitney, the new Whitney is amazing downtown, MOMA is always amazing, there's the Frick, The International Center for Photography is in a new location in the Bowery - they are always amazing, and now, so is the Bowery - which wasn't always but we went there anyway ;)

It's NYC-ish to have Chinese food in China town and sit in these tiny restaurants with whomever, but pay not a lot of money for really amazing, big plates of great food. Also, to get Korean BBQ on W 32nd Street...Halal from a street cart - or falafel. Or go to H&H bagels or if you see a sign that says someone has them; I think ZABAR'S does...ZABAR'S is cool...great food store - maybe for your Central Park picnic.

As a general rule for food - stay away from places on main avenues or Tourist Zones - the way to think of it is, it gets more affordable, even interesting, as you are on side streets heading away from a place like Times Square. The are also all the Food Halls - Chelsea, Gansevoort, Midtown, all over....for breakfast, lunch and dinner with all variety of cuisine at different price points, some more pricey than others. Pret A Mangér is pretty good with different options too for lunch, healthy soups, salads and sandwiches, not too expensive.

I might have given you too much, or not enough of what you wanted....let me know! Have an amazing time.