Has this ever happened on Pando

the english lady

As I wandered lost and loney as a cloud through the princess and celebrity boards I came across this thread

http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2388814

Made me think. I would guess pando is the largest line in the uk sailing from the uk.

Has this ever happened with a pando ship.

If it hasnt is it

..because cruises are not offered as incentives by companies , so it is something just not done this side of the pond.

..has anybody ever sailed on a pando ship with a large group on it.

seems to happen quite a lot in America, but I have never read that anything similar ever happens here.

just inquisitive i guess

What shocked me most by this thread was the way they all accepted it and thought the OP was moaning.

On P&O everyone is up in arms if they change a port!

I can't see it happening here though. Most firms aren't that large.........or generous.;)

You can rest assured that if ever anyone offered to hire a P&O cruise ship for an entire cruise, especially a cruise that is generally a poor seller, then the powers that be at Carnival HQ in Florida would bite their hand off.

Not if they asked a UK lawyer about the consequences. Under US law, the cruise line isn't responsible for incidental expenses like flights and hotels that the passenger may have already booked. Under UK law, they are. Any passenger whose holiday contract is broken through the operator's own fault is entitled to recover all consequential damages, not just the cost of the holiday.

We had this happen to us with Royal Caribbean a 7 day cruise out of Venice was cancelled when the Voyager of the Seas was chartered in early May in 2011. Royal Caribbean did cover all our costs (to a certain value) although we had arranged to meet family in Venice after the cruise so only had to change a flight rather than cancel it. Not sure what would have happened had we wanted to cancel the flight.

As I wandered lost and loney as a cloud through the princess and celebrity boards I came across this thread

http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2388814

Made me think. I would guess pando is the largest line in the uk sailing from the uk.

Has this ever happened with a pando ship.

If it hasnt is it

..because cruises are not offered as incentives by companies , so it is something just not done this side of the pond.

..has anybody ever sailed on a pando ship with a large group on it.

seems to happen quite a lot in America, but I have never read that anything similar ever happens here.

just inquisitive i guess

or is it you are finding yet another reason to praise P&O and belittle those of us who sail other lines. It appears to me that you spend and awful lot of time trawling other cruise line threads to bolster up your support for P&O as you often quote other lines issues, or are you actively stalking my posts? :D Edited by peteukmcr

Not if they asked a UK lawyer about the consequences. Under US law, the cruise line isn't responsible for incidental expenses like flights and hotels that the passenger may have already booked. Under UK law, they are. Any passenger whose holiday contract is broken through the operator's own fault is entitled to recover all consequential damages, not just the cost of the holiday.
The cruise lines are well aware of their responsibilities under UK trading practices but it doesn't stop them cancelling cruises that those of us in the UK have booked with them. They pay what is due and still cancel. So they have obviously asked a UK lawyer about the consequences.

I know as not just Celebrity (which the op refers to), but NCL have cancelled cruises I had booked, but have paid out for consequential damages such as nonrefundandable flights that had to be cancelled and offered compensation in terms of OBC too.

Btw under US law the cruise lines may not be responsible for incidental expenses, but I can assure you that they do pay out. I know from my US friends that have been affected AND that booked in the US, they do get compensation, and some, in some cases more than we get in the UK. That's due to the power of the consumer in the US that we don't have here.

So you may not have been affected by P&O, but believe me, you don't get hung out to dry by those terrible US based cruise lines, quite the opposite in fact.:D

Edited by peteukmcr

We had this happen to us with Royal Caribbean a 7 day cruise out of Venice was cancelled when the Voyager of the Seas was chartered in early May in 2011. Royal Caribbean did cover all our costs (to a certain value) although we had arranged to meet family in Venice after the cruise so only had to change a flight rather than cancel it. Not sure what would have happened had we wanted to cancel the flight.
I can assure you, they would have reimbursed you.

You can rest assured that if ever anyone offered to hire a P&O cruise ship for an entire cruise, especially a cruise that is generally a poor seller, then the powers that be at Carnival HQ in Florida would bite their hand off.
I agree, how much did they get from the TV company responsible for Ant & Dec's Saturday Night Takeaway on Britannia? Hopefully not too much as the TV executives should have convinced P&O of the value of the marketing potential offered by such a wide UK audience watching the program where the ship was an 'extra'.

Did you read the uproars over that? I did, it was priceless. So would P&O never sell out? Of course they will. Just like all the other cruise lines. They are responsible to their share holders, not their loyal guests.

Just as Royal Caribbean are withdrawing their generous discounts to previous guests, if they now book less than 6 months before departure. Cruise lines look after the bottom line and if you think they look just after you, sorry but you are mistaken.

Edited by peteukmcr

The Celebrity ships are set up better than P&O ships to be able to host large groups as they have a conference centre. We sailed on the Eclipse a few years back when there were 400 Brazilian Solicitors onboard. Whilst there were some drawbacks (quite a loud group), as they were in conference on sea days there was plenty of deck space. The US lines actively market themselves as a floating conference centre. No doubt P&O would do the same if there was any demand here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

or is it you are finding yet another reason to praise P&O and belittle those of us who sail other lines. It appears to me that you spend and awful lot of time trawling other cruise line threads to bolster up your support for P&O as you often quote other lines issues, or are you actively stalking my posts? :D

I am not stalking you..I started this thread, you joined it... are you stalking me?

I read the thread and it had never happened to me, had not heard of it happening this side I was just being inquisitive.

At some stage in the future we are hoping to move, so it may make it easier to try other lines for a weeks cruise, to see what they are like.

I thought it would be sensible to read those boards to get an idea of the other lines.

I don't think pando are perfect. When we had priority boarding neither the cabin or lunch venue were ready ,so we ended up standing in a corridor with all our hand luggage. That is not perfect. I think the speakers are dire.

It strikes me that people can come on the pando board, not be nice about the ships or the people who chose to sail on them. However woe betide anyone who dares say maybe the other lines are not perfect. This is what happens.

It strikes me that people can come on the pando board, not be nice about the ships or the people who chose to sail on them. However woe betide anyone who dares say maybe the other lines are not perfect. This is what happens.

You have clearly upset some of the Celebrity Diehards. The fact is that no cruise line is perfect. Some like Celebrity will clearly do anything for profit.

We had a P&O cruise cancelled but not because the ship was being used for a Company outing. We were due to take a three week cruise on Adonia in March this year - fly to Barbados, two weeks in the Caribbean and then returning to Southampton via Bermuda and some of the Southern USA states. Then along came the new Fathom Cruises and our cruise was cancelled because P&O didn't want Adonia back in Southampton, she was to have a refit in, I think, Florida. I learnt about this on a website one Sunday, phoned my TA the next day to be told they had just learnt about this too and were amazed. Eventually, about a week later we had a letter from P&O saying that our cruise was cancelled because of the "exciting" new introduction of Fathom. They refunded our deposit in full and gave us £100 each of a future cruise - thought they could have been a little more generous!

The problem it gave us was what to do instead of our planned cruise. I hate the overnight flight back from Barbados so that three week cruise sailing back was ideal - we have done a Back to Back ending with sailing back to Southampton before and that was great. Eventually we resorted to a two week fly cruise on Adonia and I had to endure the overnight flight back. I did miss a trick as one couple we spoke to did the two week cruise and were then able to transfer to Britannia in Barbados and sail back to Southampton which we could have done if I'd thought of it.

Slightly different we booked on ncl epic last September for 7nts and had are cruise cancelled because they extended dry dock we have privately booked flights and transfer ncl refunded are airfare and transfer and transferred are booking to a cruise of are choice with the same cabin grade for the same price we choose 10nt canary still on the epic and got a all inclusive drinks package thrown in for free we had to wait a extra 2 months for a holiday but was worth the wait and was happy with what ncl offered us

Basically then there are not enough big enough companies in the UK to make it worth anyones while to either charter a whole ship or part of it.

I think what surprised me was that cruises were sold and it was only later that they cancelled.

I guess the nearest equivalent is when her Maj charters Hebridean Princess..I have very ocassionally wandered to that board (one day) and it did upset some that they lost their holidays.

One has learnt never to book a 2/3 day cruise after a refit ,as there is every chance that will be cancelled, which along with Adonia/Fathom seems to be the only reason pando cancel whole cruises.

Thank you for the replies

Aurora used to be chartered for an international conference each year a few years ago. I know because I received an invite to it every year.

I do remember a number of ships being on private charter but they must have been booked before the brochure came out as the cruise would never be advertised.

I do know I have not read any posts saying that passengers had been bumped off a cruise because of this type of event.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I remember Arcadia having a 'gap' of a few days in her schedule last May, immediately before her cruise to the Baltic, which I was on. I wondered if this may have been for a quick drydock to paint the new livery on the bow (which ironically still hasn't yet been done!) but she actually went over and anchored up in the Channel Islands for a couple days and then sailed back to Southampton. I wondered if this was some kind of corporate charter, but I never got around to asking any of the crew about it (too busy enjoying my holiday!!). I don't remember seeing any mention of it on these boards though.

I agree, how much did they get from the TV company responsible for Ant & Dec's Saturday Night Takeaway on Britannia? Hopefully not too much as the TV executives should have convinced P&O of the value of the marketing potential offered by such a wide UK audience watching the program where the ship was an 'extra'.

Did you read the uproars over that? I did, it was priceless. So would P&O never sell out? Of course they will. Just like all the other cruise lines. They are responsible to their share holders, not their loyal guests.

Just as Royal Caribbean are withdrawing their generous discounts to previous guests, if they now book less than 6 months before departure. Cruise lines look after the bottom line and if you think they look just after you, sorry but you are mistaken.

Pete are you employed by Celebrity to come onto the PANDO site in order to push their line !!!

Pete are you employed by Celebrity to come onto the PANDO site in order to push their line !!!

No I'm not employed by Celebrity and the post you quoted did not refer to them. I don't come to the P&O (the correct spelling of the company name btw) site to push that nor any other line.

But I will correct any inaccuracies reported on P&O regarding lines that I have personal experience of.

Edited by peteukmcr