Zika stress

Newly weds1

Why is it so important to go on this Caribbean cruise when you already know there is a real health risk to you and your love one? Get a refund and spend your honeymoon somewhere else nice and zika free.

Like others have said talk to your Doctor read the CDC web site.

If you choose to go here is my advice. My son has a hyper allergic reaction to mosquitos. Like I carry epi pens for mosquitos. So far no anaphylactic reaction but he does mimic MRSA with a bite. Not the same as a birth defect but I am pro at avoiding those little blood suckers.

He 12 and has been on 10 cruises, 2x he was bit. Both times during transportation to and from the beach. So now we always get a private van with AC and never use the open air jitney cabs that are popular and cheaper.

1. he wears sunscreen first then we spay him down with OFF deep woods the stuff that smells bad and has Deet in it. Since we can not spay his face we super spray a canvas hat and he wears that. Will rub it on neck and ears

2. He wears a rash guard to cover his skin as much as possible.

3. We do not take inland excursions. Ever. We stick to the beach. Mosquitos do not like breezes and so the more air movement the less bugs.

4. He wears a Off clip on fan with a new refill every day. I also clip a fan on our chairs to be close to him.

5. He has also worn a jelly bracelet thing but not always those seem to much like a snake medicine but they are cheap and won't hurt.

Good luck with your decision no one can make that for you, its all about your personal choice or risk vs reward.

I live only a few blocks from a Zika zone. Zika is the least of my worries. Unless you are pregnant then there is no cause for alarm. There are so many worse things that can happen to you in Miami-Dade county than Zika. We have friends from Argentina that are supposed to visit next month. One of them is pregnant and we expect them to cancel their trip. The government warns of non-essential travel to Miami-Dade county.

Some misinformation on this thread. Zika is in other states but from people that traveled OUTSIDE the country. Here in Miami, the new cases are originating here. That is a HUGE difference. There are no travel warnings for other states no matter how many cases of Zika there are because those cases did not originate in that state.

I would never let Zika affect my vacation plans anywhere in the Caribbean. You have the same chance of falling overboard.

Considering adult mice injected with Zika are showing signs of brain damage, I'd say one should be slightly concerned.

It is only a matter of time until Zika originates in other states.