Balcony or Accessible Oceanview cabin?

el820

Given the choice, would you choose a balcony or accessible ocean view cabin? From my understanding the accessible cabin will be much larger compared to a regular balcony cabin. The balcony will be on higher decks, likely 10 and above, while the ocean view will be on a lower deck. They will cost about same. Take the extra space or a balcony?

Occupants: 2 adults & 2 kids

I keep hearing about people booking accessible rooms just for the extra space. Please remember that could be taking away from someone who really needs that room.

Either way, always take the balcony room.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I want to make it clear we never asked for an accessible cabin. At the time of booking I didn't want to pay the extra for a balcony but want to book an ocean view to take advantage of the perk. This was the last ocean view cabin that will accommodate 4 so NCL assigned it to us but made it clear that they can move us should they need the cabin back for passengers needing the access. We are fine with that.

I called a few days ago about some excursions and NCL offered to move us to a balcony cabin free of charge. They are not request the accessible cabin back.

I was not trying to judge or shame you in any way. Some people honestly never think about such things.

Regardless of anything, I would take the balcony. It is such a luxury being able to relax in your own private area. Nothing better than waking up and having coffee while sitting on a balcony overlooking the ocean.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

From my understanding the accessible cabin will be much larger compared to a regular balcony cabin.

As someone who (unfortunately) needs to always travel in an accessible cabin, I do want to point out something about those cabins that non-mobility impaired folks may not consider. YES, the accessible cabins are much bigger - both the general cabin area and the bathroom. However, to make the cabin actually workable for someone in a wheelchair, there is very little furniture in the room compared to a same category "regular" cabin - it's alot of "open" blank space. So, if you see that a regular balcony cabin has a small sofa/loveseat - an accessible cabin will generally not (RARELY) have that. In Haven suites, accessible cabins are single rooms (no separate living room) and Jewel-class penthouse suites do NOT have in-suite dining tables, etc. These cabins are not just "super-sized" versions of their counterparts - they are basically cleared out to give wheelchair users room to navigate.

The bathrooms also are much larger - but you will have LIMITED "shelf" storage (because folks sitting down can't reach shelves.) There is no "lower" bathroom storage because it would get in the way of a wheelchair. So, I always need to bring an "over the door" hanging storage thingy for the bathroom. Also, since there is no step "up" to the bathroom, the entire bathroom tends to flood when you take a shower. The "regular" bathrooms are much more stylish with shower doors, while the accessible bathrooms have (ugly) shower curtains to make them more functional (for wheelchair users.) The toilets are also mounted higher which may be an issue for little ones.

So while an accessible room does provide MORE space (and "breathing room"), it actually provides LESS seating, LESS furniture in general and LESS "stylish" decor. I am really grateful that the cruise lines do offer accessible accommodations, but trust me when I say they are not actually more desirable for folks who don't need them.

Edited by pcakes122

As someone who (unfortunately) needs to always travel in an accessible cabin, I do want to point out something about those cabins that non-mobility impaired folks may not consider. YES, the accessible cabins are much bigger - both the general cabin area and the bathroom. However, to make the cabin actually workable for someone in a wheelchair, there is very little furniture in the room compared to a same category "regular" cabin - it's alot of "open" blank space. So, if you see that a regular balcony cabin has a small sofa/loveseat - an accessible cabin will generally not (RARELY) have that. In Haven suites, accessible cabins are single rooms (no separate living room) and Jewel-class penthouse suites do NOT have in-suite dining tables, etc. These cabins are not just "super-sized" versions of their counterparts - they are basically cleared out to give wheelchair users room to navigate.

The bathrooms also are much larger - but you will have LIMITED "shelf" storage (because folks sitting down can't reach shelves.) There is no "lower" bathroom storage because it would get in the way of a wheelchair. So, I always need to bring an "over the door" hanging storage thingy for the bathroom. Also, since there is no step "up" to the bathroom, the entire bathroom tends to flood when you take a shower. The "regular" bathrooms are much more stylish with shower doors, while the accessible bathrooms have (ugly) shower curtains to make them more functional (for wheelchair users.) The toilets are also mounted higher which may be an issue for little ones.

So while an accessible room does provide MORE space (and "breathing room"), it actually provides LESS seating, LESS furniture in general and LESS "stylish" decor. I am really grateful that the cruise lines do offer accessible accommodations, but trust me when I say they are not actually more desirable for folks who don't need them.

Thanks for explaining this to people. This poster was assigned one but I am shocked by people who book them for space. When I was in haven a lady showed me her large accessible suite and explained to me they always book it for the space and love it when the cruise line pays them to move.:(

Thanks for this valuable info. Not everyone is aware of this.

Given the choice, would you choose a balcony or accessible ocean view cabin? From my understanding the accessible cabin will be much larger compared to a regular balcony cabin. The balcony will be on higher decks, likely 10 and above, while the ocean view will be on a lower deck. They will cost about same. Take the extra space or a balcony?

Occupants: 2 adults & 2 kids

As a result of the United States Supreme Court Rules on Spector et. al. VS Norwegian Cruise Lines a USA Federal Law under the Department of Transportation ( commonly referred to as DOT) became effective on January 1, 2012 or all ships embarking from a USA Port that requires that the cruise lines have to verify that the person occupying the cabin has a medical or physical need to book the cabin . Some of the key points to this new law are:

(g) To prevent fraud in the assignment of accessible cabins (e.g., attempts by individuals who do not have disabilities to reserve accessible cabins because they have greater space, you—

(1) Must inquire of persons seeking to reserve such cabins whether the individual (or an individual for whom the cabin is being reserved) has a mobility disability or a disability that requires the use of the accessible features that are provided in the cabin.

(2) May require a written attestation from the individual that accessible cabin is for a person who has a mobility disability or a disability that requires the use of the accessible features that are provided in the cabin.

Under this law the only time it's acceptable for an able body person to book an HC cabin is after the final payment period has past and any unsold HC cabins are than open to the general public for booking.

Edited by xxoocruiser