Gratuities

susan1957

I find absolutely nothing rude about my comment. It respectful and sound advice for those cruisers not comfortable with the tipping culture of cruise lines that market to North American markets. There are cruiselines and package promotions that cater to for instance U.K. And other European markets that include gratuities as part of the cruise price.

Everyone has a choice and if cruising on a ship where Tipping is part of the expected and traditional practice then don't be uncomfortable, just book with some other cruiseline. If you feel I am being rude then so be it, certainly not my intent.

BTW I also do not believe it's anyone's business how the crew is paid. That is between the crew member and the cruise line. JMHO

Incorrect.

If we are being charged "gratuities" for the crew, then it is very much our business whether that money actually makes it to the crew.

This is especially true because you have the option to reverse those charges, so everyone should have the correct information in order to make that decision.

Edited by pokerpro5

I find absolutely nothing rude about my comment. It respectful and sound advice for those cruisers not comfortable with the tipping culture of cruise lines that market to North American markets. There are cruiselines and package promotions that cater to for instance U.K. And other European markets that include gratuities as part of the cruise price.

Everyone has a choice and if cruising on a ship where Tipping is part of the expected and traditional practice then don't be uncomfortable, just book with some other cruiseline. If you feel I am being rude then so be it, certainly not my intent.

BTW I also do not believe it's anyone's business how the crew is paid. That is between the crew member and the cruise line. JMHO

Does not reak of respect, nor courtesy. You may be surprised at how others read your postings.

I am American, and therefore grew up in a tipping culture. I have worked, as have family members, either in jobs as labor, or in industries where the business model is dependent upon labor receiving tips. NCL has not actually built their model and policies in the way you suggest. They have built their policies in a way that clearly anticipated some people optng out of certain fees. If the corporate management thought it worthwhile to potentially lose that segment of the market by ensuring that all participated in the service charge scheme, they would alter the policies.

Don't delude yourself that some number of people's excusing themselves from the service charge scheme somehow increases your fare. On a level, there is a truth to that, but so do myriad other people and to a far greater extent--those who eat enormously, or waste food at the buffets, those who monopolize service staff time, or deprive NCL of profit by not using their tours or by not drinking alcohol, etc.

We who pay the charge aren't subsidizing those who don't to any greater degree than we who eschew meat are subsidizing those who crave blood in their morning coffee. That's part of why the charges aren't truly mandatory.

Wow just wow!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sorry, this happens all the time....If you don't agree with some. Just ignore them, don't stoop to their level and go ahead and post your opinions and feelings, because some of us like to see all sides with regard to an issue. Edited by NLH Arizona

Wow just wow!

I did not find your post rude or offensive at all.

I do agree with pokerpro5 that it is good to know where your money goes, but I also agree with you that if anyone finds these charges unacceptable, nobody is forcing them to take that cruise.

I personally don't have an issue with the charges I find it better than carrying cash all the time and I don't mind giving an extra tip as well if the service merits it

My point was probably not explained clearly. The reason I believe the system is ineffective is that prior to the change, shipboard personnel would ask for specifics as reasons for the removal request. With the new system, no specific questions are asked, and the only thing needed on the form is a general reason such as "This cruise did not meet our expectations."

Or perhaps just saying....

I only want to tip my waiters and steward so I am removing my dsc and tipped those individuals in cash

I am not in the habit of tipping dishwashers or laundry workers at home so I prefer not to do it on a cruise.