Cozumel to Re-Open!!!

TEXASMUNK

WOW! That is quick and fantastic, the diving is awesome there so I hope the fish made it though okay and the reefs are not to damaged.

Jim - I am with you on Carlos 'n' Charlie's great place to people watch:D

All and all I find the people that live on Cozumel are great people and I wish them a quick recovery..

Great Island!

You're dreaming guys. This will not be a place for a cruise ship to stop for many months.

I'm all for helping their economy because I love the people of Cozumel. But there will be no November cruise ship stops in Cozumel, in my opinion.

:confused:

You're dreaming guys. This will not be a place for a cruise ship to stop for many months.

I'm all for helping their economy because I love the people of Cozumel. But there will be no November cruise ship stops in Cozumel, in my opinion.

:confused:

I hope I am wrong but I have to agree with this. It is hard to be optimistic after watching Wilma smother Cozumel for 2 days. I have a cruise coming up Nov 27, and I am almost :confused: positive we will not stop in Cozumel.

STATUS OF TOURISTS AND THE TOURISM INDUSTRY THE AFTERMATH OF HURRICANE WILMA

· Mexico's Tourism Secretariat (Sectur) continues to coordinate the evacuation of tourists, providing the best possible conditions for remaining tourists and ensuring that return flights are provided as quickly as possible

· The Cancun airport was reopened October 25 to help evacuate an estimated 40,000 tourists from the area through both regular flights and charters

· Despite the unusual strength of the hurricane, no casualties among tourists were reported

Cancún, Quintana Roo, October 25, 2005. In the aftermath of Hurricane Wilma, the Mexican government's priority has been to evacuate the domestic and international tourists still in the area safely and swiftly, by land and air, Mexico's Tourism Secretariat (Sectur) reported.

It is doing so through a massive operative involving the collaboration of government authorities, tour operators, airlines, ground transportation companies, embassies and consulates, all under Sectur's coordination.

According to Sectur, the operative included the opening of the Cancun airport on October 25 to receive supplies for shelters as well as to welcome the 27 planes (charters, regular flights and aircraft provided by the Mexican army) designated to fly out the remaining tourists. The neighboring airports of Merida and Chetumal, which only closed during the hurricane's greatest few hours of intensity, have also contributed to the evacuation efforts as the roads between them and the Cancun airport have been cleared, Sectur explained.

To evacuate tourists in the quickest and most organized way possible, access to the Cancun airport is currently limited to visitors who arrived on charters programmed by tour operators with whom Sectur has coordinated return flights. Government authorities have announced that for the moment, nobody arriving alone by taxi or car will be allowed to enter the airport.

Regularly-scheduled national and international flights will resume service October 26, with the airlines providing ground transportation from given locations to the airport for their passengers. Local authorities have been charged with communicating this information to tourists at area shelters and hotels, with the airlines' toll-free numbers also providing the information. While evacuations take place, the airlines will not be selling new tickets for these flights, Sectur said.

While waiting to be flown out, the tourists will remain in their designated shelters or in others whose comfort and level of supplies are deemed superior, Sectur said, adding that no casualties among either domestic or international tourists have been reported. The families and friends of tourists still in the area can obtain information on their loved ones by calling 1-888-401-3880.

Although the resort areas of Cancun, the Mayan Riviera and Cozumel were severely affected by Wilma, most of the damage can be repaired in the short- or medium-terms, according to Sectur. Kukulcan Boulevard, Cancun's main hotel strip, has been cleared, while hotels are slated to reopen in anywhere between a week and four months, depending on the individual damage sustained, authorities explained.

Tourism Secretary Rodolfo Elizondo estimated that the area would lose 800 million dollars in tourism revenue between now and December, although the economic impact of damages is still being assessed. An estimated 38 percent of international tourists visit Cancun, the Mayan Riviera or Cozumel during their stay in Mexico, he added.

Federal and local tourism authorities are working with tourism service providers to enable the affected areas to become fully operational by December, Sectur said, adding that Mexican president Vicente Fox instructed them to take advantage of the opportunity to make some of Mexico's best tourism destinations even better.

Announced today, Cozumel plans on re-opening to cruise ships beginning November 14th.

Now, if only carlos N Charlie's is re-opened all will be right with the world!

If it reopens Nov. 14 there won't be much to do there. For example the company that owns Carlos and Charlies and Senior Frogs says it will be six to eight months to rebuild.

It just sounds a little like wishfull thinking. If you have seen some of the pictures on the Cozumel site you will now what I mean. It is really hard to believe that even if they repair the dock area in two weeks, that there will be anything to do there. The island was basically destroyed, the stores, the beaches, the restaurants. I wish only the best for the people of Cozumel and I am sure the loss of cruise ships is just as devastating to the their economy as the hurricane was, but it just seems like a stretch. Nothing to do but wait and see I guess. Better to be optimistic, but doesn't seem realistic.

Archived