Last Minute Halloween Costumes!

AZPam

Help! DD who is a freshman at the university has been invited to several halloween parties this weekend. After looking at all the local party stores for a costume, we are ready to pull our hair out. They are all either way too expensive or on the skanky side, if you know what I mean.

Any of you have any brilliant ideas?

I had to come up with a last-minute (VERRRY last minute) costume a few years ago. I wore an old slip that I had written psychological terms all over with a marking pen (ego, id, psychosis, neurosis, obsessive-compulsive, Oedipus Complex, etc., etc.) and went as a "Freudian Slip". My sister wore a tiara, carried a rubber snake and wrapped herself up in a sheet she had written NO! NO! NO! all over.......she was "Cleopatra, Queen of Denial".

LOVE those ideas GrannyJ!!!

I'm a college student...although the "non-traditional" type. Here is what some of younger girls are talking about wearing....

There are the traditional costumes they've talked about:

Zombie: one girl is going to a party wearing a tattered skirt (not revealing, just torn hem), boots that have been rubbed with gray paint, and a sweater that looks like it has moth holes. She's glueing pieces of spanish moss on her clothing (from a craft store)...which I thought was a brilliant idea! She's planning on painting her exposed skin white, with some gray shadowing, gray and black around the eyes, blue lips, and white streak and moss in her hair.

Witch: The usual black dress, green face paint, pointed hat, and broom (I think she got it at a craft store).

Gypsy Queen: broom stick skirt, high heel boots, lots of bangles and jewelry, scarf, and the usual birth mark (sounds a lot like my costumes as a child!)

Non-traditional:

Paris hilton: she plans to dress in a pink dress, pink boots, long blond wig, and to carry a stuffed dog in her purse and say "hot" a lot....and have a blank stare most of the time.

Hillary Clinton: she's going to wear a "typical" Hillary outfit, wear a wig, and make people call her "Madam President" all night.

Let us know how it goes and what you decide on!

~e

Here's one that I just saw and thought it was great...

take a bunch of little empty cereal boxes (you know the ones you take on the cruise ship to eat on exursions!)..pin them to a sweatshirt...stick little plastic knifes in the boxes...."cereal killer".

http://www.familyfun.com has lots of costume ideas. They are mostly geared towards younger children, but I don't see any reason they couldn't be adapted.

Along the same lines as the Cereal Killer and Freudian Slip, they show in this year's October edition of their magazine, a costume made up of pinning Smarties Candies all over a pair of pants- smarty pants.

Good luck!

If she's petite, she could do what my daughter did once: paint a pillowcase like the Ace of Hearts (any suit will do), slit open the seamed side, attach ribbons to tie on her shoulders and wore it with a red T neck and tights.

Cowgirl, since western boots are in, jeans or jean skirt a rope for a lasso, western style shirt and hat,

If you have the time, Raggedy Ann, a clown, belly dancer, doctor if you know somewhere you can get some scrubs or "jacket".

let us know how it goes, We are going as ourselves, lol.

didn't feel like going through the trouble of renting this year and since the restaurant said 50/50, I enjoy looking at them as much as wearing them

good luck

Remove the fabric from an old umbrella (so that it's just the metal part).

Poke holes in an old tee-shirt and mark around the holes with black ink.

Use lots of hair gel to make your hair "wild" and put some black marks on your face.

You are now "Struck by lightning".

Hmm..My favorite when this happens is:

1. I am a phsycotic phsycopath who hates boring parties and someone who corrects their spelling (scowl a lot muss up your hair and stand in the cornor)

2. The Invisible man (this gets them becasue then they treat you like your not there and get first dibs on the snack trays)

3. A drunken Lush (my brother likes this one, though I keep telling him halloween is in October not June)

:D

Okay, seriously, Wear some outrageous tie-dyes, get some round colored sunglasses and wear a tie around your head, paint a flower on your cheek, and POOF! A flower child.

How are you people so creative??? I knew I could count on all of you for some TERRIFIC ideas! Keep them coming. DD and I will be putting together something tonight and I will let you know what we decided on. Right now she is leaning towards the "Queen of Denial" as she keeping having to tell the guys NO a lot! Seems to be most fitting!

mrsred - For some reason I think the Paris Hilton one sounds hilarious - "say hot alot and have a blank stare".

I thought so too! And my friend "modeled" the stare for us while chomping on gum and saying "that's hot".

We were laughing so hard we had tears running down our cheeks!

~e

Archived