Self-Assist

BNBR

Reading the Carnival page, it seems self explanatory - if you do self-assist, you can just walk off with the first group.

However, I notice that Platinum VIFP get "priority disembarkation" - I'm guessing it's priority "standard" disembarkation where they take your luggage?

Just wanted to confirm that as long as we take our own luggage, we can expect to walk right off the boat in the morning without being Platinum or any "gotchas".

Reading the Carnival page, it seems self explanatory - if you do self-assist, you can just walk off with the first group.

However, I notice that Platinum VIFP get "priority disembarkation" - I'm guessing it's priority "standard" disembarkation where they take your luggage?

Just wanted to confirm that as long as we take our own luggage, we can expect to walk right off the boat in the morning without being Platinum or any "gotchas".

If you carry ALL your luggage with you, you can walk off the ship pretty early, although Platinums and Diamonds who wish to leave early can do so first. We did self-assist on all of our cruises before we were platinum, and we were off the ship very early, usually around 7:30-8.

Diamonds/Platinums/FTTF meet in a designated area at a certain time if you are doing self assist. There will be a letter in your cabin the night before. On Glory it is the Golden Dining Room. The D/P were in the little room right off the side of there which is the dining room annex. Those people were let off first, then FTTF, then the rest were called however they do it. I always had FTTF so never stuck around for that part.

Edited by firemanbobswife

Not confirmed.

Just got off the Breeze this pass Sunday. Self-assist was called by Decks, with Deck 12 first, then 11, then 10 and so on. Once they got to about Deck 7, they started calling those that were not doing self-assist by zone number.

Funny as we were on Deck 12, and even knowing we would be off very early, we chose to let them take our luggage and just slept in and had a nice relaxing breakfast. We returned our cabin about 0825 to grab our vacate our cabin and went down to deck 4 to wait (just outside the locked theater entrance). After about 20 minutes, a worker came by and said they wanted to clear that deck, and told us to go down to deck 3 and get in line. They were only calling zone 3 at that time. We had zone 9. It was all good!

Ok, we'll have to figure out the timing then. I did self-assist on Oasis and we didn't have to meet anywhere. Just walked out of cabin and off the ship. Maybe if I wait 20 minutes after the first groups would go off, I can do the same?

Good to know it's an option with no hidden gotchas.

Not confirmed.

Just got off the Breeze this pass Sunday. Self-assist was called by Decks, with Deck 12 first, then 11, then 10 and so on. Once they got to about Deck 7, they started calling those that were not doing self-assist by zone number.

Funny as we were on Deck 12, and even knowing we would be off very early, we chose to let them take our luggage and just slept in and had a nice relaxing breakfast. We returned our cabin about 0825 to grab our vacate our cabin and went down to deck 4 to wait (just outside the locked theater entrance). After about 20 minutes, a worker came by and said they wanted to clear that deck, and told us to go down to deck 3 and get in line. They were only calling zone 3 at that time. We had zone 9. It was all good!

Interesting, so they actually do self-assist by decks. I'll just keep an ear out for it or better yet, confirm with guest services real quick on board.

I'm definitely a self-assist person - earlier the better. We live local and on disembarkation day, just want to go home.

Ok, we'll have to figure out the timing then. I did self-assist on Oasis and we didn't have to meet anywhere. Just walked out of cabin and off the ship. Maybe if I wait 20 minutes after the first groups would go off, I can do the same?

Only the D/P/FTTF had to meet at a certain area to be off first. Sounds like they do the rest by deck. I'll look back through my Fun Times and see what they say.

On the Conquest in 2014 they had everyone doing self assist meet in the main show lounge. But that was a mess. People everywhere blocking stairways, huge lines, temper tantrums. We didn't have to wait in it since we had FTTF. They let us go right to the front of the line. Maybe it was creating so many issues that they started doing it the way they are now.

This is just so unexpected!!! Are Carnival people just "self-assisters"?

I was on Oasis, 6,000 people - and if you walk down 15 minutes after the first self assist, you walk right off, there was hardly anyone to be seen anywhere. Completely empty, not a single line. Just walked right off, right up to customs, etc. etc. Yet on a Carnival ship half the size, it's a mad house. That's so wild!

I was on Oasis, 6,000 people - and if you walk down 15 minutes after the first self assist, you walk right off, there was hardly anyone to be seen anywhere. Completely empty, not a single line. Just walked right off, right up to customs, etc. etc. Yet on a Carnival ship half the size, it's a mad house. That's so wild!

The problem you will see is that people don't like to follow directions so you get the issues that normally shouldn't occur. They tell you not to wait in the stairways when getting off the ship, and they do. They tell you not to wait by the elevators, and they do. Makes it real interesting when those that are on there are trying to get off.

You'll see what I mean when we pull into any port. They will make an announcement where to wait and where not to, and yet people will be blocking up the stairs sometimes before we even dock.

Ive never seen a mad house at all. Just waited till they called the deck and walked off the ship. Maybe a slight line to scan your card for the final time. Then it was through customs and on our way to the airport for our flight home.

Yes you can.

While waiting Sunday, was watching some self-assisters wrestle HUGE suitcases off the ship. These were easily 36"x24"x20". No doubt they were heavy as they were just pulling them down he stairs....clunk..clunk..clunk. More power to them I guess as I wasn't willing to do self-assist with a suitcase half that size!

Now I'm confused. Do you go to breakfast then come back and get your bags and leave? Or do you have to take your bags to breakfast? What time do you have to be out of your cabin?

Depends what time you go to breakfast. You have to be out of your cabin usually no later than 8:30am. But in most cases self assist will be long gone at that time and the tag numbers will be called for people that put their luggage out the night before.

d47f1631d7bef903fe46018acedafb8d_thumb.jpg

I'm about to disembark from the Sunshine in a couple of hours doing self-assist. We have FTTF and need to go to deck 3, gangway anytime after 7:45. Having breakfast delivered to our cabin this time.

On the Pride and Glory, we were also able to leave right from the ship doing self-assist, no waiting. But we left a little later after having some breakfast on Lido.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Now I'm confused. Do you go to breakfast then come back and get your bags and leave? Or do you have to take your bags to breakfast? What time do you have to be out of your cabin?

On the Breeze, everyone had to be out of their cabins by 8:30am.

IIRC the lido buffet, the MDR and Blue Iguana were all open for breakfast at 07:00. The Gym was open at 06:00.

IMO, the ideal last morning would be to do self-assist, hit the Gym at 06:00, lido buffet by 07:00, back in the cabin to shower and pack up your few remaining items about 0:745 and vacate the cabin about 08:20. Hopefully they have already called your deck for self-assist and you can just head to deck 3 and off the ship!

Ive never seen a mad house at all. Just waited till they called the deck and walked off the ship. Maybe a slight line to scan your card for the final time. Then it was through customs and on our way to the airport for our flight home.

Good to know. I can't imagine it being that bad.

While waiting Sunday, was watching some self-assisters wrestle HUGE suitcases off the ship. These were easily 36"x24"x20". No doubt they were heavy as they were just pulling them down he stairs....clunk..clunk..clunk. More power to them I guess as I wasn't willing to do self-assist with a suitcase half that size!

I walk through airports with suitcases, large hotels, etc. It's really quite trivial to me. And it's just walking off the ship, you still grab your suitcase again before customs and have to walk to the parking lot. They are on wheels....

It's a total non-issue, for us at least. Even if they didn't let you off early, I'd still take my own bags off.

On the Breeze, everyone had to be out of their cabins by 8:30am.

IIRC the lido buffet, the MDR and Blue Iguana were all open for breakfast at 07:00. The Gym was open at 06:00.

IMO, the ideal last morning would be to do self-assist, hit the Gym at 06:00, lido buffet by 07:00, back in the cabin to shower and pack up your few remaining items about 0:745 and vacate the cabin about 08:20. Hopefully they have already called your deck for self-assist and you can just head to deck 3 and off the ship!

If we can't get off until after 8, for example, then we'll have breakfast on the ship. Last cruise express/self-assist started at 6:30, we walked off at 6:45. There were no deck calls or anything. So we just ate breakfast at home. We were home at 7:20.

Not confirmed.

My experiences on the Breeze and other ships is that it does not make any difference what is being called, people just do not follow what the procedure is supposed to be. They go whenever they want, and the crew does not stop them if they should not be leaving the ship when they get to the door. It would be too much of a hassle to tell bunches of people to go away and come back when their departure positions are called. Every single time that I use self assist and am on a top deck and/or go to the D/P meeting area and are then released, we are faced with extremely long lines when we get into the terminal. People are standing at every single luggage position waiting for luggage that won't be off the ship for a long time. And the immigration lines are all backed up. The problems are the same as those at embarkation - people just do not listen. They have better ideas of how things should be done and they do what they want. This will never change because people who would normally do the right thing reach the point where they say to heck with it, and join the "better way" club - AND THE PROBLEM GETS EVEN BIGGER.

This is what we do.

We don't choose Self Assist to get off early, we choose it because we like having access to our luggage on debarkation morning. Though we are Platinum, we go to breakfast in the MDR and return to our cabin before 8:30 to retrieve our belongings. We then hang somewhere on the ship or get in line to leave when we are ready to do so.

My experiences on the Breeze and other ships is that it does not make any difference what is being called, people just do not follow what the procedure is supposed to be. They go whenever they want, and the crew does not stop them if they should not be leaving the ship when they get to the door. It would be too much of a hassle to tell bunches of people to go away and come back when their departure positions are called. Every single time that I use self assist and am on a top deck and/or go to the D/P meeting area and are then released, we are faced with extremely long lines when we get into the terminal. People are standing at every single luggage position waiting for luggage that won't be off the ship for a long time. And the immigration lines are all backed up. The problems are the same as those at embarkation - people just do not listen. They have better ideas of how things should be done and they do what they want. This will never change because people who would normally do the right thing reach the point where they say to heck with it, and join the "better way" club - AND THE PROBLEM GETS EVEN BIGGER.

not quite....or at least not always.....

When be got off the ship, they were calling for zone 3. We were zone 9 (and told by a Carnival employee to get off the ship). After a few short minutes in line, we were in the terminal luggage pickup area. All the luggage...up to zone 30-whatever, was already stacked in the terminal ready to be picked up by its owner.

not quite....or at least not always.....

When be got off the ship, they were calling for zone 3. We were zone 9 (and told by a Carnival employee to get off the ship). After a few short minutes in line, we were in the terminal luggage pickup area. All the luggage...up to zone 30-whatever, was already stacked in the terminal ready to be picked up by its owner.

In terminals such as Miami, the luggage is on conveyor belts like at the airport. They only have the zone numbers that have been called on the carousels so when people leave before their zone is called, they clog up the areas waiting for their bags that aren't there yet. Then the people that actually can get their bags have to fight through all of them. It gets to be quite the zoo.

Interesting, so they actually do self-assist by decks. I'll just keep an ear out for it or better yet, confirm with guest services real quick on board.

I'm definitely a self-assist person - earlier the better. We live local and on disembarkation day, just want to go home.

Better to confirm with CD.