How late are Juneau's attractions (not shops) open?

brainerdgal

We are considering a cruise in July 2017 on Holland America's Amsterdam. Port time in Juneau is 1-10 p.m. with a Tracy Arm service call at 10 a.m. If we board the small ship in Tracy Arm, we will arrive Juneau about 4 p.m.

How late are the State Museum and Mendenhall Visitor's Center open? What about Glacier Gardens and the tram?

Would it be feasible to rent a car from 4:30-8:30 p.m. and tour on our own? Do the car rentals have an earlier deadline for return?

Sorry for all the questions. We have been in Juneau before, but never as late as 10 p.m. We want to get the most out of every minute in port. Thanks in advance for your help!

Mendenhall Glacier visitor's center closes at 7:30pm from May 1st through the end of September. Outside trails open until midnight:

http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/tongass/about-forest/offices/?cid=stelprdb5400800

Alaska state museum hours are 9am to 5pm:

http://museums.alaska.gov/address.html

Glacier Gardens 9am-6pm

http://www.glaciergardens.com/

Mount Roberts tramway - 8am to 9pm (website is not the best):

http://mountrobertstramway.com/

So, maybe time to do the gardens, the tram, and Mendenhall glacier. The Alaska state museum, unfortunately not. You don't need a rental car to do the tram, it's right there at the cruise ship dock. I believe Avis and Juneau Car Rental Company are the car rental operators for Juneau, but I have no personal experience with them myself. You might also look into a taxi service; I've used Evergreen taxi service; they also own Taku Taxi and Capital Cab services. There might also be bus service, but I don't know how late it runs, nor have I ever used the bus in Juneau. Hopefully someone else here will pitch in with recommendations and advice.

Edited by Old As Dirt Mom

If you do want to visit Mendenhall after Tracy Arm, then do plan on renting a car, but I've read on CC that the rental location is quite the hike from where the ships dock.).

I say this because we decided to take the bus to Mendenhall after the Tracy Arm excursion - we got on the very last bus to Mendenhall, so we only had a short amount of time there so that we could catch the very last bus back to the cruise ship. (None of which correlated to the operational hours of the park.)

If you do want to visit Mendenhall after Tracy Arm, then do plan on renting a car, but I've read on CC that the rental location is quite the hike from where the ships dock.).

That depends GREATLY on 1) which car rental agency you use, and 2) where your ship is docked!

We are considering a cruise in July 2017 on Holland America's Amsterdam. Port time in Juneau is 1-10 p.m. with a Tracy Arm service call at 10 a.m. If we board the small ship in Tracy Arm, we will arrive Juneau about 4 p.m.

How late are the State Museum and Mendenhall Visitor's Center open? What about Glacier Gardens and the tram?

Would it be feasible to rent a car from 4:30-8:30 p.m. and tour on our own? Do the car rentals have an earlier deadline for return?

Sorry for all the questions. We have been in Juneau before, but never as late as 10 p.m. We want to get the most out of every minute in port. Thanks in advance for your help!

You can get answers to all your opening and closing questions on TripAdvisor on by Googling the attractions.

DON