Packing - First Timers

Hey,

We will be spending 2 weeks in Orlando before getting the Allure of the Seas for a 7 night cruise.

I have seen there will 2 smart casual and 1 formal nights - is this correct?

For smart casual do you have to wear a tie or can I get away with a shirt / jacket?

I won't have a suit with me, and don't really have space to pack one so I assume we just don't go to the formal night? Where do we go instead?

Thanks

I'm sure you will get a lot of replies.

I usually wear nice pants and a collared shirt on Smart Casual night and on formal nights I will include a tie on too...

When we cruise close to home (travel by car) we will bring sport coats.

I have rented a tux for special events on some cruises...

Dennis & Sue

Edited by SC_Floaters
Added Information

It's typical for a 7-day cruise to have 2 formal nights. I see no difference in guest attire anymore between casual and smart casual.

If you would rather not go to the MDR on formal night, options would be specialty restaurants, Windjammer, and several other "free" snack-type options.

I'm happy to go on formal nights as long as I won't stand out for not wearing a tux or a full on suit! Ha

For us on formal night we wear polo shirts and khakis, no tie or jacket, and never felt out of place. On our cruise on Anthem next week we are planning on taking actual button down shirts and ties, but it will be the first time we've ever done so for a cruise.

You'll get a lot of different opinions on attire, but the general rule is no shorts, no sleeveless t-shirts, and no sandals.

We were on the Allure last year and on formal nights, we saw everything, from tux to tank tops, shorts and sandals. There really didn't seem to be any standard, and everyone dressed however they wanted. So don't stress it, go to the MDR on formal nights and enjoy yourselves, no matter how you are dressed. I found that you can ask your waiter what is the acceptable dress and they will tell you to come as you are.