Mini Suites on Breakaway

npeacemaker

I have a family cruise planned for September 2017 on NCL Breakaway (we have twin boys who will be 3 at the time of sailing). I've gone back and forth on the room booked, it's a forward facing room on the Haven level. We got the very last room in that category and the balcony stinks and it has been bothering me. So long story short the next choice up is the aft facing haven level for an additional chunk of money so we decided that's not the best option. I changed to a mini suite mid ship on the 13th floor for about half the price. My question is this how are the mini suites in regards to size for a family of four? Comfortable enough to allow the boys to nap and have their own space? Should we change to a family mini suite? Any additional benefits to that type of stateroom vs a regular mid ship mini suite. How is the embark and disembark process when traveling with small children? One of the biggest draws to haven was priority embark and disembark. Another benefit of haven I liked was room service. Do you have the same room service options in the mini suites? It would be nice to have an option to eat in the room if they are overtired and unable to handle a public meal -they are 3 so we need to be realistic that could happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

A mini suite on the Breakaway has the same tiny balcony as balcony cabins, the same square footage, just a bigger bathroom. The only difference between the family mini suite is maybe a bathtub, and closer to the kids club.

There is room service, but nothing like Haven room service, and there is a service free. Room service in a true suite gets you room service from every single restaurant on the ship! Plus, great perks like priority embarkment/disembarkment, concierge services, butler, it's own excellent restaurant, private pool area, free movies, priority tender tickets, afternoon snacks delivered every afternoon... Mini suites don't get any perks.

Thank you mjkacmom! I agree with you that some of the Haven perks are much needed when traveling with little ones. In my opinion, we need the priority embark and disembark, room service and in room dining options, butler assistance with snacks and meals, and priority tender. I suppose our biggest draw against is traveling with twin 3 year old is we won't be using the private pool area unless they are being well behaved, we won't be drinking (very much), we won't be eating out at speciality restaurants with them, we probably won't be seeing shows, and doubt we would have much need for a concierge. Now, all of this is my speculation since this is my first cruise with kids. Just wondering if the extra money is worth it. I'm leaning towards yes but then other days I think it's not. Wonder if anyone in a similar situation can shed light on my see-saw.

Take advantage of the kids club! My twins (youngest of 5 kids) loved swimming when they were 3! Plus, you can have meals brought to you from the specialty restaurants. Our first cruise with our kids was when they were 4, 4, 6, 9, and 11, we just had connecting balconies. It was great, but it would have been great to be in a suite (too expensive for us). We are fine in steerage - lol.

We definitely plan use the kids club and I'm hoping they will be fully potty trained (but that's something we can't predict at this point). The cost to go from a family mini suite to aft penthouse is double the cost. Its a big price jump up so we need to weigh the pros and cons. That's a lot of money and it may not be worth at their age in one mind frame. Of course to others it maybe a no brainier as being in Haven may make the trip slightly easier. At least I have a while to make my final decision.

Edited by npeacemaker

Yes, a Pullman from the ceiling will not work at all. I have travel beds but that is more to pack and carry. Not ideal but doable. How do I find out if there is a Pullman, a pull out bed, or what the exact bedding accommodations are for the 3rd and 4th guests?

You can call, although cs reps don't always have accurate information. Post your question on the NCL CC forum. Since the mini suites and balcony cabins on the Breakaway are the same size, I'm guessing Pullman and couch are the 2 additional beds (that's the set up in the balcony cabins).

Are there a lot of tender ports or short port days on your cruise? We took a 3 year old on a Baltic NCL cruise (and Panama Canal and Central America when he was 2) and priority embarkation is usually not necessary, with the exception of stops with very limited time in port (Cartagena, Stockholm, Aruba) or due to immigration issues (Russian customs is very thorough, leading to backups in St. Petersburg). Priority embarkation would be very valuable for those ports; for the others it wasn't necessary. You might want to check with the destination board for where your cruise visits, since they can tell you if any of the ports you are visiting tend to have difficulties with embarkation/disembarkation. And even if that is the case, you can still choose to put your kids in the kids clubs for an hour or two and leave a bit later after things have calmed down.

Are your children likely to separate and go to the kids club? If so, you should be able to get to restaurants for dinner while they are in the kids club. They do allow children in specialty restaurants on NCL during the first seating (or they did 2 years ago) and we brought our son, he ate for a little while and then left as soon as the kids club reopened for the night. Or I took my son to the buffett, and then ate dinner in the specialty restaurants later (that could be a bit more challenging with twins though).

My son really loved the kids club on NCL. Their hours didn't work well with my son's nap schedule and by the end of the cruise we just gave up and let him sleep on sea days when the kids club was closed.

Are there a lot of tender ports or short port days on your cruise? We took a 3 year old on a Baltic NCL cruise (and Panama Canal and Central America when he was 2) and priority embarkation is usually not necessary, with the exception of stops with very limited time in port (Cartagena, Stockholm, Aruba) or due to immigration issues (Russian customs is very thorough, leading to backups in St. Petersburg). Priority embarkation would be very valuable for those ports; for the others it wasn't necessary. You might want to check with the destination board for where your cruise visits, since they can tell you if any of the ports you are visiting tend to have difficulties with embarkation/disembarkation. And even if that is the case, you can still choose to put your kids in the kids clubs for an hour or two and leave a bit later after things have calmed down.

Are your children likely to separate and go to the kids club? If so, you should be able to get to restaurants for dinner while they are in the kids club. They do allow children in specialty restaurants on NCL during the first seating (or they did 2 years ago) and we brought our son, he ate for a little while and then left as soon as the kids club reopened for the night. Or I took my son to the buffett, and then ate dinner in the specialty restaurants later (that could be a bit more challenging with twins though).

My son really loved the kids club on NCL. Their hours didn't work well with my son's nap schedule and by the end of the cruise we just gave up and let him sleep on sea days when the kids club was closed.

There are no early or late seating on NCL, and kids can eat at the specialty restaurants any time. I've seen babies and toddlers in them.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll preface this with, we are budget travelers, not because we couldn't afford a haven room but because we choose not too, and go more often. Is the mini suite going to be lush and comfortable with a bunch of personal space, NOPE. Will you want to spend a bunch of time in the cabin with 2 active 3 year olds, NOPE. Is the balcony big enough for more than a chair or 2 NOPE. Is there a special part of the ship just for you NOPE. Can your family have an amazing trip, ABSOLUTELY.

Our family would say, is the Haven twice as good? It might be slightly better but I'm not paying 2x more for a little better. Travel with 3 year olds is different than with out kids or even different than with my 7 and 9 year olds. While I can travel with less stuff, I now must deal with often unreasonable attitude!! I think I may have preferred carseat worries. In 6 months your kids will be different kids than they are now. So the things that concern you today will be really different the night before the trip.

I would assume that it is the couch and a pullman. Mine slept in the pullman at 3.5 with no issue (but that was in a room so small if they fell they would have landed on the bed. One way or another, you can be creative and make something work. Pick a cabin and a budget that works for you and go with it. Nothing is ever ideal or as bad as a day at work :)